+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Things they should teach you in school

Things they should teach you in school

inspired by some posts in the basic income thread

- how to change a tyre

- how to get a mortgage

- how best to get your deposit back from your landlord at the end of a rental period

Re: Things they should teach you in school

How hard it is to conceive a baby, in fact it’s very unlikely you’ll get pregnant after a one off.

Trying for a baby was a ****ing nightmare and so worrying as the months went on, all because you’re misled in school.

Getting a mortgage is easy - just cancel Netflix and your morning coffee from Starbucks

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Getting a mortgage is easy - just cancel Netflix and your morning coffee from Starbucks
    all well and good but if you're still eating avocado toast then forget it

Same sort if thing as the other thread then..

I'll roughly quote my daughter.. "they teach us how to pick apart Macbeth and conclude this means that because that person said this, its interesting but I won't use it once I leave school, I want to know how to look after my money, how to prepare for an interview for uni or my first job, how to start a business, how to apply for a mortgage and understand about loans because my mum said she's got bad credit so her car costs more I didn't know that was a thing"

Agree with changing a tyre too.

Kids these days don't seem too confident either, not sure how to change that but it's still not nice to see.

To set realistic expectations.

I was a member of an Apprenticeship Trust for Worcestershire and the biggest problem by far was the expectations given to the kids by the schools. I am a member of the bring back Polytechnics fan club.

How much energy costs , an understanding of terms such as kwh.

Been so many quotes from people on the news along the lines of : I'm not putting the lights on because of the energy price rise. I'm boiling the kettle to fill the bath because the gas has gone up, I'm using candles instead of electric etc etc.

A basic understanding around the fact that modern light bulbs cost virtually nothing to power, cheaper to heat water with gas than electric kettle etc, would make a difference to some of these people.

Honestly think there are people worried about their energy bills so skimping on silly things like lights, while not realising that their tumble dryer is costing more in a week than lighting their house would for a year !

Totally agree with the stuff relating to personal finances.

Also agree with changing a tyre, but I'd extend it out to basic car and bicycle maintenance. Stuff like checking fluid levels, tyre tread depth and a couple of other simple inspection/maintenance tasks.

I'll add outdoors/geography skills to the list. World geography, basic navigation, basic survival skills etc. The forest schools programme sounds great but as far as I'm aware it's aimed more at younger ones? Be great to carry that stuff right through to 16-18.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Holt View Post

Also agree with changing a tyre, but I'd extend it out to basic car and bicycle maintenance. Stuff like checking fluid levels, tyre tread depth and a couple of other simple inspection/maintenance tasks.

I'll add outdoors/geography skills to the list. World geography, basic navigation, basic survival skills etc. The forest schools programme sounds great but as far as I'm aware it's aimed more at younger ones? Be great to carry that stuff right through to 16-18.
    Ray, do what i did and get kicked out at 15 and they put naughty kids on courses like Mechanics, Gardening and outdoor pursuits

I'd have loved car maintenance and personal finance in school.

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    How hard it is to conceive a baby, in fact it’s very unlikely you’ll get pregnant after a one off.

Trying for a baby was a ****ing nightmare and so worrying as the months went on, all because you’re misled in school.
    Not sure about that one at all.

I wasn’t misled at school about this but my heart goes out to those who struggle to conceive. I was very lucky to be right on the other end of the scale, as you describe above.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Not sure about that one at all.

I wasn’t misled at school about this but my heart goes out to those who struggle to conceive. I was very lucky to be right on the other end of the scale, as you describe above.
    Thinly veiled I've got super sperm post IMO

The importance and how to cook fresh food for a healthy life and exercise.

Behind the key subjects OF English Maths , Physics , History , Geography and Biology

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Thinly veiled I've got super sperm post IMO
    Should've gone to a Catholic School. Sex Education was teaught by Nuns and mad R.E Teachers. Sex was only to be performed to conceive a child in a married relationship. If you wanted three kids and hit the jackpot on each occasion, then that would be it, three rounds of fun for an entire marriage.

First aid, in fact basic life saving, putting someone in the recovery position, using a defibrillator etc.

Agree with world geography, also UK geography, locations of towns, cities etc.

Basic life situations such as applying for passport, how to go about employment applications, housing applications whether rental or buying.

Why you should never vote Tory.

How much a £200k house will actually cost you over a 25year mortgage.
    How to cook cheap healthy meals
    Why a diet of fast food and High caffeine/high sugar drinks and protein shakes will mean that there's no point saving for a pension.
    Why it's never too early to start a personal pension
    The importance of a decent credit rating and how to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    How much energy costs , an understanding of terms such as kwh.

Been so many quotes from people on the news along the lines of : I'm not putting the lights on because of the energy price rise. I'm boiling the kettle to fill the bath because the gas has gone up, I'm using candles instead of electric etc etc.

A basic understanding around the fact that modern light bulbs cost virtually nothing to power, cheaper to heat water with gas than electric kettle etc, would make a difference to some of these people.

Honestly think there are people worried about their energy bills so skimping on silly things like lights, while not realising that their tumble dryer is costing more in a week than lighting their house would for a year !
    Worked at British Gas years ago and I'm pretty sure they said then it's cheaper to leave the lights on than turn them on and off all day.

Boiling the kettle uses quite a lot of energy as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Holt View Post

Thisnos a good post

Add basic survival knowledge as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I'd have loved car maintenance and personal finance in school.
    I did a CSE in car mechanics at a local tech instead of a more academic O level.

Bring in teachers from various countries to give history lessons from their perspective rather than the one eyed ‘Britain is always right’ curriculum. I don’t know If things have changed now but it was very much English history when I was at school, would have loved to learnt more about Welsh history.

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post

Slept with some women multiple times, never got them pregnant. My daughters mum I went with once, pissed as a fart.

Point being, people aren't misled as it can happen, just unfortunately not in all cases where people would like

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Bring in teachers from various countries to give history lessons from their perspective rather than the one eyed ‘Britain is always right’ curriculum. I don’t know If things have changed now but it was very much English history when I was at school, would have loved to learnt more about Welsh history.
    Teach kids to looknforward not backwards.

I understand to a degree history has a part in education but where does it stop? How much do they *need* to know?

It's part of the problem with education for me. Overloading kids with piles of shit they don't really need to know that won't be useful later in life unless they're at a pub quiz.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Judging by some of the youngsters starting in my office, they should be teaching them how to write properly, and how to spell. Guess you don't need it, when you're on a computer all day.

Anyway, most of things that have been mentioned are supposed to be included on the curriculum under Social Studies. However, very few people take this subject, as it's often considered 'only for thickos', and also because it often clashes with other more important subjects.