+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Selling "vintage" hi-fi products.

Selling "vintage" hi-fi products.

Anyone had any experience of selling 25 year old hi-fi equipment.

Haven't used my set-up for about ten years and is just gathering dust and taking up space.

Seems criminal to just dump it (over two grand in mid 1990s).

Thought of giving it away but what with all the stuff about these days not many would be interested.

So I had a Google and it seems there is a market. Has anyone any experience with a site called "Why Buy New"?

Any input gratefully appreciated.

Re: Selling "vintage" hi-fi products.

My missus sold her 20 odd year old system via eBay. Guy drive over from Bristol to collect it.

I sold 40 year old turntable, amp and speakers on EBay with no problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Anyone had any experience of selling 25 year old hi-fi equipment.

Haven't used my set-up for about ten years and is just gathering dust and taking up space.

Seems criminal to just dump it (over two grand in mid 1990s).

Thought of giving it away but what with all the stuff about these days not many would be interested.

So I had a Google and it seems there is a market. Has anyone any experience with a site called "Why Buy New"?

Any input gratefully appreciated.
    It's not an Alba or Bush product then

I will depend on what the product is good turntables are worth a bit as are old amps

If it's good stuff, and in good nick (got the boxes?), then it will sell on Ebay. Make sure they know they have to collect it.

Has it got a separate CD player ? I am looking for one to go with my JVC system.

If it's a decent brand and it's separate pieces it might be worth a few quid. Where was it stored? The speakers may need to refoamed. Take the covers off and have a look. Got any pics?

I don't know about 25 year old hi-fi gear but I recently sold my 1970's vintage Kef speakers on eBay with no problem as they seem to be a collector's item. Thorens TD165C turntables - check out the price of those on eBay!

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Ivortheengine, yes it is made up of Meridian, CD player, amp and power amp, Nakamichi cassette deck and floor-standing Mission speakers.

NYC Blue, it;s been set-up but used very little in one of our bedrooms, so it should be fine. No pictures I'm afraid I am a rather aged
    technophobe, don't even have a mobile phone.

Thanks again for the responses.

Will have to find out the model numbers and what have you before I go any further.

Cock-up in the above post.

The CD Player, pre-amp and power amp are all NAIM - NOT Meridian.

You should be able to decent money for all those components. Even the cassette deck. For some reason, kids think cassettes are cool.

Nakamichi decks are well sought after.

Yes, fetching 200 + pounds.