+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Do players going buy out their contracts ?

Do players going buy out their contracts ?

I see that Smithies will no longer be playing for us , does this mean the player buys out the remaining few weeks of the contract as the club is entitled to pick him are they not ?

Re: Do players going buy out their contracts ?

We are mathematically safe.

It's probably mutual as well as he will benefit and we will try other options.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I see that Smithies will no longer be playing for us , does this mean the player buys out the remaining few weeks of the contract as the club is entitled to pick him are they not ?
    He was injured yesterday wasn't he ?

Not sure there would be any benefit to them buying out their contracts, as with a few who haven't been selected in a while they can get paid and already start to talk to other clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    He was injured yesterday wasn't he ?
    Aye

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Aye
    CCFC Welshlad stated Smithies is done for the season apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    CCFC Welshlad stated Smithies is done for the season apparently.
    Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Yes?
    I was thinking it must be mutual ( financial saving for us )

I thought contracts lasted until the new season begins or thereabouts and not when the old season finishes. It would cost Smithies a fortune to buy out his contract when he could just hang around until he finds a new club.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I thought contracts lasted until the new season begins or thereabouts and not when the old season finishes.
    They last until the end of June as a rule.

I thought contracts usually ended in June. I imagine Smithies will sit back and collect his monthly pay cheque until the end of his contract whilst his agent advertises his availability (if he hasn't done so already)

why would he bother buying himself out of his contract now? he can't sign for anyone else until the summer anyway?

I would guess it just suits all parties for him not to play.

For Smithies he reduces the chance of getting injured in games that mean nothing.

For City, they save on any appearance fee (and clean sheet, win bonus, etc) and also get another look at Phillips before making a decision about if he is a Number 1 or 2 next season.

His base wage will be paid until the end of his contract. Why would he accept less?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I thought contracts usually ended in June. I imagine Smithies will sit back and collect his monthly pay cheque until the end of his contract whilst his agent advertises his availability (if he hasn't done so already)
    He was linked with Forest the other week, surely that's just trying to draw clubs in, why would they be interested?

He's free to speak to other clubs anyway during the last 6 months of his contract anyway. He could be sorting out a contract with another club as we speak, and any new club could announce his signing on 1 July.
    I'm not sure why buying out his contract would be done. Maybe he's been placed on gardening leave, possibly on a negotiated lesser wage, to allow him to do this especially as he's got a house to sell.

Is it just me who reads this thread title in the voice of Cleetus from the Simpsons?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    why would he bother buying himself out of his contract now? he can't sign for anyone else until the summer anyway?
    Yeah this makes no sense. Spend money, earn nothing and get no benefit?