+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The War starts Putin announces "Military Operation" in Ukraine. Explosions heard in Kyiv

Re: The War starts Putin announces "Military Operation" in Ukraine. Explosions heard in Kyiv

NATO making a move now support for Ukraine and other nations in the area

Re: The War starts Putin announces "Military Operation" in Ukraine. Explosions heard in Kyiv

Thought of starting a new thread...but here is the title anyway:

SANCTIONS my BACKSIDE
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...russia-ukraine

What will happens when Russia turns it's attention to Latvia and the other Baltic nations.....maybe the West bans tourism or something....
    Unbelievable that Europe and the US refuse to stop SWIFT transfers....as someone who worked in Bank Treasury systems in the past this wouldhurt!!

t

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I tell you what, the British solider is held is high regard around the world, its one of the best, certainly not " tin pot " or a " toy solider " an its embarrassing to even say that

do people want British boots on the ground, it is a fine balance, we might have to act as part of NATO

Once again, if we didnt have Trident, Putin would be crossing Europe with ease and booking ferries to hit the UK son enough , a deterrent is a deterrent no matter what the cost it is to the British tax payer
    "Is that what you want? Cos that's what'll happen!"

Do you think the people of Laos and Ecuador have an opinion of the great British soldier? Where does this idea of their global stellar reputation come from?

I see the nicotine stained frog Farage is trending because of his cheerleading for Putin. How the hell have we allowed this vile individual to have so much influence in our media and politics. He’s vile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post

Do you think the people of Laos and Ecuador have an opinion of the great British soldier? Where does this idea of their global stellar reputation come from?
    That would be Britain

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    I see the nicotine stained frog Farage is trending because of his cheerleading for Putin. How the hell have we allowed this vile individual to have so much influence in our media and politics. He’s vile.
    Because basically British people are xenophobic jingoistic feckwits

I haven’t the ability to put up a Poll but a question

Is the West doing enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post

Well in reality I suppose its doing all it can

Which is nothing really 🤔

Lessons will be learned etc etc after all this of course

Yeah whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post

think we are heading for cyber warfare which could trigger article 5 of the NATO treaty

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post

I wonder how many people would relish a nuclear war? If things escalate too much this could be the inevitable outcome. Unless there's absolutely no alternative it makes sense for Western nations to show the utmost restraint in an attempt to contain the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Don’t underestimate the power of those who can drive ****wits to a single goal. The world is jam-packed with ****wits. Grab a fraction of them and you have a moron army. Farridge is dangerous but he’s not a moron. The PM is both.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I wonder how many people would relish a nuclear war? If things escalate too much this could be the inevitable outcome. Unless there's absolutely no alternative it makes sense for Western nations to show the utmost restraint in an attempt to contain the situation.
    Sorry I don’t agree. This is happening in Europe. The EU and NATO should have put their foot down in the first place when troop build ups were continuing to grow. Putin has been let loose to do what he likes. We can cover our national monuments in blue and yellow colour and our politicians, protests and social media can spout out “we’re with you Ukraine” however this has done and will do nothing. It has been building for months. Dialogue and sanctions against Russia and putin didn’t work. The politicians know this, they expected this and they’ve let it happen.
    The only way to beat a bully is bully him back.
    Ukraine are on their own and I now find it shit NATO and the EU let it happen.

International

Your oft stated opinions of the British people in general and nyone in authority in particular make me wonder more and more why you stay here.
    Why don't you move somewhere more in line with your thinking and philosophy?

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Sorry I don’t agree. This is happening in Europe. The EU and NATO should have put their foot down in the first place when troop build ups were continuing to grow. Putin has been let loose to do what he likes. We can cover our national monuments in blue and yellow colour and our politicians, protests and social media can spout out “we’re with you Ukraine” however this has done and will do nothing. It has been building for months. Dialogue and sanctions against Russia and putin didn’t work. The politicians know this, they expected this and they’ve let it happen.
    A flattened Ukraine, reformed again into a great Russia is clearly a price worth paying

What else justifies what's happened ?

A flattened Ukraine, reformed again into a great Russia is clearly a price worth paying

What else justifies what's happened ?
    What would you do at this point if you were in charge? Genuinely interested. British and US troops on the ground, full blown war with Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    I don't think it's a clear cut scenario. The chances are that no matter what the West did short of military resistance nothing would have stopped Putin. Many commentators think he would not have been fazed by even the most severe sanctions.

I was just pointing out how difficult this is for any leader to deal with. There might have been a possibility that if the West had stuffed Ukraine with troops Putin might have considered this too much of a challenge and backed off. On the other hand he might have retaliated and soon it might have escalated beyond control. I'm just glad I don't have to make the decisions.

International

What's the point of countries having an army if all its going to do is twiddle its thumbs and sit on its hands when the shit hits the fan ?

This situation has made a nonsense out of the politicians and diplomats whilst those able to do a job , the army , the navy and the air force of various countries , is impotent

Bunch of jokers
    The reason we are not fighting is the same reason Putin knew he could do it... because Ukraine is not a member of the alliance of nations that protect each others freedoms. It's that simple.
    And part of what Putin is doing is an attempt to ensure that they never will be.

I reckon we’ll be clapping on our doorsteps for Ukraine next Thursday if Johnson has his way.

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    What would you do at this point if you were in charge? Genuinely interested. British and US troops on the ground, full blown war with Russia?
    What makes you think sludge knows, he just takes any and every opportunity to knock this country and the government. Even people who commit crimes aren't to blame, society and the people who enforce the law are, didn't you know?
    If we had thrown the Marines and the Para Brigade in there he'd be shouting about us getting involved in 'another' war that is none of our business, and shouting to stop the war. He is as predictable as day follows night!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Your oft stated opinions of the British people in general and nyone in authority in particular make me wonder more and more why you stay here.
    Why don't you move somewhere more in line with your thinking and philosophy?
    That's a bit er ....nazi like isn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    It's too late now

Build up of troops since 2014 ?

Can't say we wernt warned

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    What makes you think sludge knows, he just takes any and every opportunity to knock this country and the government. Even people who commit crimes aren't to blame, society and the people who enforce the law are, didn't you know?
    If we had thrown the Marines and the Para Brigade in there he'd be shouting about us getting involved in 'another' war that is none of our business, and shouting to stop the war. He is as predictable as day follows night!
    This government has had 8 years of military build up to work with others to do something about this .

I am afraid its been caught short .

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Boris will have a hug a ukranian in the uk day

And we will all wear Ukranian clothes

And listen to The Wedding Present

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I don't think it's a clear cut scenario. The chances are that no matter what the West did short of military resistance nothing would have stopped Putin. Many commentators think he would not have been fazed by even the most severe sanctions.

I was just pointing out how difficult this is for any leader to deal with. There might have been a possibility that if the West had stuffed Ukraine with troops Putin might have considered this too much of a challenge and backed off. On the other hand he might have retaliated and soon it might have escalated beyond control. I'm just glad I don't have to make the decisions.
    No I get that. It is a very tricky one for sure now….but My frustration is the build up has been happening for months and the threat of sanctions and all that jazz just wasn’t going to work.
    I understand Ukraine isn’t part of NATO so clearly not covered by article 5 however Biden and Co have been saying for months that he’s going to invade, they knew it.
    So why wasn’t force threatened that if a sovereign nation, part of Europe if invaded will be met by force by the international community rather than sanctions which could take months.
    Putin is done now. Even China is on the 50/50 and they normally back him with everything.