+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I know bigger fish to fry but wales world Cup play offs in serious doubt now

Re: I know bigger fish to fry but wales world Cup play offs in serious doubt now

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The WC cup is going ahead and all playable games to facilitate that will go ahead. I don't see how Wales' semi-final games could be in doubt.
    The world Cup isn't until November so plenty of time. I just wondered if fifa will give Ukraine a few weeks to see how things turn out there rather than boot them out at this stage?

Re: I know bigger fish to fry but wales world Cup play offs in serious doubt now

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Both the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia had qualified, but had since broken up as countries. The Soviet Union entered under the commonwealth of independent states (CIS) and Yugoslavia were also going to compete as a joint Serbian and Montenegro team. They were disqualified so Denmark, including Schmeichel, Brian Laudrap and Henrik Larsen won it.
    England lost to that Tomas Brolin goal for Sweden🙂
    Ah, Henrik Larsson, the famous Swedish international who played for Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Ah, Henrik Larsson, the famous Swedish international who played for Denmark
    That's the one (and the other one)🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I presume that Ukraine would have to forfeit the tie, giving Scotland a bye. Tickets have gone on sale. No real opportunity to do much else.
    I think this is a good example of , if you have to look at anything long enough a positive will pop up

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Infrastructure is a very big issue, and Mill Stad doesn’t have the facilities for press and the hangers on.

Anyway it’s going to Gay Paree

...you forget that we hosted it a few years ago

Notwithstanding some major escalation, I'm not sure why Wales' game(s) would be under threat?

The Ukraine/Scotland match is at Hamden so I don’t see why that would be called off. Likewise the Wales/Austria game will be fine as, last time I checked, tanks and soldiers haven’t been sent over the Severn Bridge to invade us.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    The Ukraine/Scotland match is at Hamden so I don’t see why that would be called off. Likewise the Wales/Austria game will be fine as, last time I checked, tanks and soldiers haven’t been sent over the Severn Bridge to invade us.
    The Brynglas tunnels would buy us a few weeks if they ever did anyway

The Magor-no line. 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    The Brynglas tunnels would buy us a few weeks if they ever did anyway

The Magor-no line. 🙄
    We could reintroduce the tolls but ask for exact change only. Not sure if “50 ton tank” was ever included in the pricing though?

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    The world Cup isn't until November so plenty of time. I just wondered if fifa will give Ukraine a few weeks to see how things turn out there rather than boot them out at this stage?
    They should kick Russia out and give Ukraine a ticket to the finals without a playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I'd like Wales to qualify then give our spot to Ukraine.
    Protest against Russia, Qatar and FIFA.
    i'd like wales to qualify then transition into ukrainian wimin , protest against russia ,qatar ,fifa , the patriarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    i'd like wales to qualify then transition into ukrainian wimin , protest against russia ,qatar ,fifa , the patriarchy.
    how to ruin an initial good joke by milking it

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    They should kick Russia out and give Ukraine a ticket to the finals without a playoff.
    FiFA are "monitoring the situation" regarding Russia apparently!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Besides the thought of leaving their families alone during a war, the main problem is they can't physically leave Ukraine due to the imposition of martial law.

Really does play second fiddle. Letting my emotions get the better of me but I’d boot the Russians and their clubs out of all European (and global) competitions.

If Ukraine can raise a team of those plying their trade outside of their homeland then I’d hope they’d have the opportunity to play at least, should they wish.

Poland have now refused to play Russia.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...talks-26345867

Crisis talks between Wales Austria and Scotland remain ongoing. Wonder if Scotland would accept a forefit and just play the winners of Wales Austria? What a mess. Or maybe Poland could play Scotland now?

Surely FIFA would give Ukraine every opportunity possible to put a team together to fulfill the fixtures.
    If they can't then Ukraine would forfeit the tie and allow Scotland to get a bye to the final.

I think the side with the best record in the qualifying groups who did not make the Play Offs should replace Russia and the second best replace Ukraine if they have to withdraw. However, I would have thought it would be a boost to morale in that country if Ukraine took part and every effort should be made to make sure they do.

There's a fair bit of precedent for countries in the middle of major crises being able to play home fixtures elsewhere. I think the overriding sentiment from all involved would be to get the game on if at all possible.

The main problem in a footballing sense is that 15 of the 23 man squad play in Ukraine so it would depend on their status.

Wales Austria on as planned. Winner plays Scotland or Ukraine in June (as things stand)

Wales Austria on as planned. Winner plays Scotland or Ukraine in June (as things stand)
    TFFT I can keep my flights & bookings.

An added bonus seems to be a refund of the second game instead of being forced to watch a damp squib of a dead rubber - an expensive one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    An added bonus seems to be a refund of the second game instead of being forced to watch a damp squib of a dead rubber - an expensive one at that.

...every cloud

this aint going to be over by June though