+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nathan Jones

Re: Nathan Jones

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Why would he come here?
    Hartley left the board due to Cardiff giving Morison a new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Does it take a huge ego to be critical of a manager then? My main criticism of Morison was about his media appearances where he seemed on edge and looking for a confrontation at times (I’ll always think he was wrong about Isaak Davies as well). However, probably due to a combination of us making ourselves safe and the security of his new contract, he’s handled the media well lately. As a consequence, any debate about him tends to centre on footballing matters and, apart from the odd whinge about us still being dull to watch at times and his attitude towards Sam Bowen, I have few complaints there - even any gripe about style of play has to be qualified by the knowledge of where we were when he took over. Although, Ikpeazu drives me mad at times, it has to be said that all five new players can be judged a success and Warnock’s four central midfielders, who I thought was at the root of so many of our problems, has been virtually disbanded - Ralls, as he should be, is still there, but Vaulks, who’s playing a lot better these days, is probably not in our strongest team and Pack and Bacuna are struggling to make the eighteen.

I have been critical of Steve Morison and I’m sure I will be in the future because, in my experience people are seldom entirely right or wrong, but I’d also say that there are increasing signs that Steve Morison may just be a very good manager in the making - to get us where we are now from where we were just four months ago is some achievement.

As for Nathan Jones, he’s the Championship manager of the season at the moment in my opinion.
    Agree with that.

I think Morison has made a few mistakes and handled some things badly but overall you have to give him huge credit.

We are still evolving our football under Morison and even with the loan players that was always a big ask considering our starting 11 under MM consisted of 5 centreback, three defensive midfielders, a converted wingback and an out of form striker - who was isolated both on the pitch due to lack of service and off the pitch due to covid!

People forget that this is Morisons first senior manager role and despite a few hiccups done really well.

Of course in any team and any fanbase there are critiques the fans would want to make... would like to see more of Sam Bowen and would like to see Colwill more... but in reality these are minor changes.

As for Nathan Jones - wonderful for Luton and manager of the season.. I hope they go up.

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    Every manager has had to learn on the job at some point
    Nathan Jones did first time at Luton.
    The thing I most like about Morrison.is that he puts the round pegs in round holes.
    The players brought in on loan was exactly what we needed at the time
    Plus he soon dumped the Ralls Vaulkes Pack midfield as he could see they couldn't play together where as before him more experienced managers kept on putting them in the same team.
    We still have a long way to go but did many think we would be safe in mid March back in January?
    When Nathan Jones took over at Luton they were a League 2 club, at that level you would expect some Managers to be learning their trade. Of course managers will continue their learning at whatever level they are at, but I don't think an established Championship club should be a place where a Manager learns their trade.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    When Nathan Jones took over at Luton they were a League 2 club, at that level you would expect some Managers to be learning their trade. Of course managers will continue their learning at whatever level they are at, but I don't think an established Championship club should be a place where a Manager learns their trade.
    Why ? Morison is making a pretty decent job of it so far. Why cant people just be pleased that we have got a young, forward thinking British manager in charge, instead of constantly sniping.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Does it take a huge ego to be critical of a manager then? My main criticism of Morison was about his media appearances where he seemed on edge and looking for a confrontation at times (I’ll always think he was wrong about Isaak Davies as well). However, probably due to a combination of us making ourselves safe and the security of his new contract, he’s handled the media well lately. As a consequence, any debate about him tends to centre on footballing matters and, apart from the odd whinge about us still being dull to watch at times and his attitude towards Sam Bowen, I have few complaints there - even any gripe about style of play has to be qualified by the knowledge of where we were when he took over. Although, Ikpeazu drives me mad at times, it has to be said that all five new players can be judged a success and Warnock’s four central midfielders, who I thought was at the root of so many of our problems, has been virtually disbanded - Ralls, as he should be, is still there, but Vaulks, who’s playing a lot better these days, is probably not in our strongest team and Pack and Bacuna are struggling to make the eighteen.

I have been critical of Steve Morison and I’m sure I will be in the future because, in my experience people are seldom entirely right or wrong, but I’d also say that there are increasing signs that Steve Morison may just be a very good manager in the making - to get us where we are now from where we were just four months ago is some achievement.

As for Nathan Jones, he’s the Championship manager of the season at the moment in my opinion.
    I think there is being critical of a manager and then looking for reasons to have a go at him like some were doing. Some seemed to want us to fail just to have a dog at him because he isn’t all fluffy in his interviews.

I agree he hasn’t got everything spot on from the off but I think that has to be expected considering his lack of experience. He stepped in when we had few option, no money and struggling to get a shot on target nevermind score a goal or thinking of picking up points.

I think the turn around has been remarkable and my point was if someone like Wilder had come in and done exactly the same and said exactly the same then in my opinion it would have been more accepted.

I don't think an established Championship club should be a place where a Manager learns their trade.
    Where should they go to learn how to become managers of established Championship clubs, then? League 2? Then we'd have fans saying we shouldn't be bringing in managers from League 2 sides.

Sadly there are some who think that unless a manager hasn't been there, done it and bought the t-shirt, they're not fit to manage Cardiff City. It's an approach that has worked so well over the last 20 years that we keep losing our managers to bigger clubs....

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Why ? Morison is making a pretty decent job of it so far. Why cant people just be pleased that we have got a young, forward thinking British manager in charge, instead of constantly sniping.
    Because some people always find things to moan about.
    If we had got an older manager in then they would complain about being in the dark ages.
    Give a young manager a chance and that is wrong.
    Not sure what Morrison could have done better with results to be honest.

Even though our manager played nearly all his career in the championship you don't think he deserves a chance after the turn around in our results and performances?
    Also if Nathan Jones came in and had the effect he had at Stoke then we might be still in a relegation battle.
    Did you notice how bad he was there.
    He might only be able to get the best out of a team at a certain club
    It does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    Because some people always find things to moan about.
    If we had got an older manager in then they would complain about being in the dark ages.
    Give a young manager a chance and that is wrong.
    Not sure what Morrison could have done better with results to be honest.
    Same here, got some decent signings in straight away too….if that’s a sign of things to come then bring it on.

Anyone who says that Morison hasn't exceeded expectations is lying to themselves. He's earned his chance. I'm interested to see what he does next season.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Anyone who says that Morison hasn't exceeded expectations is lying to themselves. He's earned his chance. I'm interested to see what he does next season.
    He has done pretty well, although in my opinion, his tactics are pretty basic, but credit when it's due.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He has done pretty well, although in my opinion, his tactics are pretty basic, but credit when it's due.
    If it was that simple I’m sure others would follow suit who are struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    If it was that simple I’m sure others would follow suit who are struggling.
    If what was that simple, sorry, I don't follow, which is a bit ironic!

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/te...alysis-tactics

from reading this analysis of his tactics, it seems pretty similar to the way we have started to play under SM.

3-5-2 with a deep no. 6, conceding the lions share of possession bit attacking quickly and directly when you have the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If what was that simple, sorry, I don't follow, which is a bit ironic!
    Haha

I meant Basic tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Hartley left the board due to Cardiff giving Morison a new contract.
    Don’t be daft…..

It's so predictable that as soon as a manager has a modicum of success with another club, there is an outcry from some on here to sign him up in the belief that he'll be able to replicate that success at our club. Nathan Jones is currently in vogue. A little while back it was Michael Flynn.

As this comes at a time when our incumbent manager has exceeded all expectations beggars belief. Anything bar relegation this season would have been deemed a relative success to many after MM's tenure came to an end but to transform the side in the way he has is commendable and deserves a helluva lot more respect.

Bravo Nathan Jones. Bravo. 👏 👏

To get Luton Town - one of the favourites for relegation - into play offs with their budget, wow, what an achievement.