+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: anyone driven to Poland ? ?

anyone driven to Poland ? ?

I think Des has said he has
    google maps says its going to take 22 hour, is that realistic ? ? ? is it a good drive ? ?

Re: anyone driven to Poland ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I think Des has said he has
    google maps says its going to take 22 hour, is that realistic ? ? ? is it a good drive ? ?
    It depends where you start from and where in Poland your destination is.
    The trip will be mainly flat whatever.

snip - 2022-03-01T183239.842.jpg

start Bath
    end Medyka

Ive got a van, loads of people collecting stuff for the Ukrainian refugees on the Polish border towns ( which are no good in a community centre somewhere in the UK )

start Bath
    end Medyka

Ive got a van, loads of people collecting stuff for the Ukrainian refugees on the Polish border towns ( which are no good in a community centre somewhere in the UK )
    Give me a shout if you need a co-driver/helper. I was thinking about doing something similar myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Give me a shout if you need a co-driver/helper. I was thinking about doing something similar myself.
    been in contact with 2 polish " clubs " that have collections, one has got back to me and said they have plenty of drivers who drive back to Europe empty

cheers for the offer, I will gladly take you up on it I might take in a WW2 site or 2 on the way back ( if its not a massive detour )

been in contact with 2 polish " clubs " that have collections, one has got back to me and said they have plenty of drivers who drive back to Europe empty

cheers for the offer, I will gladly take you up on it I might take in a WW2 site or 2 on the way back ( if its not a massive detour )
    I can't say that I quite understand the logistics. Can you humour me and elucidate, old fruit?

I can't say that I quite understand the logistics. Can you humour me and elucidate, old fruit?
    Hmmm not sure if I am missing a joke here

Pick up stuff that has been collected for refugees
    Drive to polish border town ( I had in mind Medyka but any in need will do )
    Drop off stuff to charity / person in hi-viz vest
    Drive home ( if I am close to a WW2 historic site on route, stop and have a looksie, I understand you are well traveled, but WW2 sites interest me, so when in Rome, I take the opportunity
    get home and relax

I live in Lodz which is a 14 hour drive from Calais, non toll motorway all the way, with 3 short breaks. I’ve done it 4 times so far.
    Calais, Antwerp, Eindhoven, Rhine valley, Hanover 1/2 way, Berlin, Poznań.
    Warsaw is about an hour beyond Lodz.

I don’t know the south route but Calais to Wroclaw must also be around 14 hours. Wroclaw to the Ukrainian border must be another 3 to 4 hours but I haven’t done it for over ten years.

The last time I stayed in the Holiday Inn in Ashford & caught the 6:30 train and got to my house around 21:30. Drop me a message if you want anyone info.

Please be aware here in Poland they are asking people not to collect because they already have way to much & they cannot accept it. In work we collected food, clothing, blankets etc. but we were told they could not accept it because they’ve run out of room

Drive home ( if I am close to a WW2 historic site on route, stop and have a looksie, I understand you are well traveled, but WW2 sites interest me, so when in Rome, I take the opportunity
    get home and relax
    Aha. I didn't understand the bit about drivers returning to Europe empty but it's clear enough now, thanks.

Your quite welcome to crash at mine. Plenty of space & beer. It’s out of the way for the Ukraine border but the offers there.

M6 Junction 7, 9 or 10 for Warsaw.

get home and relax

Matt, let me know how you get on, was planning on doing something similar from High Wycombe but I’m checking in with a charity tomorrow, was somewhat put off with costs which we’d considered and some we hadn’t, roughly £300 van hire, £150 European insurance, £300 Euro Tunnel, £200 fuel, £ ? Custom charges.
    Will probably donate instead, locally Ukraine/Polish charity is inundated with goods, supplies but have said it might be better to help them sort stuff rather than transport it…good luck with whatever you decide mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Please be aware here in Poland they are asking people not to collect because they already have way to much & they cannot accept it. In work we collected food, clothing, blankets etc. but we were told they could not accept it because they’ve run out of room
    Yea, Ive read that in a few places great news that

Aha. I didn't understand the bit about drivers returning to Europe empty but it's clear enough now, thanks.
    I didn't know if I had missed a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Your quite welcome to crash at mine. Plenty of space & beer. It’s out of the way for the Ukraine border but the offers there.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    M6 Junction 7, 9 or 10 for Warsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonccfc1927 View Post
    Matt, let me know how you get on, was planning on doing something similar from High Wycombe but I’m checking in with a charity tomorrow, was somewhat put off with costs which we’d considered and some we hadn’t, roughly £300 van hire, £150 European insurance, £300 Euro Tunnel, £200 fuel, £ ? Custom charges.
    Will probably donate instead, locally Ukraine/Polish charity is inundated with goods, supplies but have said it might be better to help them sort stuff rather than transport it…good luck with whatever you decide mate!
    I wouldn't need van hire, I have my Vivaro ( but I have contacted a commercial job I do and they have said I can use a bigger van , a VW Crafter LWB, so I could take more ) , pretty sure my van insurance covers me for a certain amount of Europe travel ( I will have to check though ) I was thinking Ferry as its cheaper

Yea, Ive read that in a few places great news that

I didn't know if I had missed a joke

cheers

I wouldn't need van hire, I have my Vivaro ( but I have contacted a commercial job I do and they have said I can use a bigger van , a VW Crafter LWB, so I could take more ) , pretty sure my van insurance covers me for a certain amount of Europe travel ( I will have to check though ) I was thinking Ferry as its cheaper

Yeah, it was the potential custom charges that threw me, apparently even with humanitarian aid, there are border tax issues, I’ll hopefully find out more tomorrow….

Quote Originally Posted by Jonccfc1927 View Post
    Yeah, it was the potential custom charges that threw me, apparently even with humanitarian aid, there are border tax issues, I’ll hopefully find out more tomorrow….
    I will be honest, I didnt know that, keep us informed please

This is the official list of donations required issued by the Polish Govt.
    • Sleeping bags
    • Sleeping pillows (covered with foil)
    • Mattresses
    • new or undamaged, clean clothes, including:
    - rain jackets
    - lingerie
    - men's underwear
    - children's underwear
    • washing cosmetics, soaps, gels, bath lotions, etc., including:
    - Toothpaste
    - toothbrushes
    - hair brushes
    - panty liners
    - baby diapers
    - adult diapers
    • Paper towels
    • Microfiber towels
    • Reusable kitchen sets: deep dishes, spoons, forks, knives, cups (material - silicone or plastic approved for contact with food)
    • Antiseptics / spirit
    • Reusable masks
    • Disposable masks
    • Matches
    • Batteries
    • Lighters
    • Candles

I will be honest, I didnt know that, keep us informed please
    Hi Matt,
    Just got back from white eagle club in London which seems to be one of the main coordinators.
    The place was buzzing and my stuff was grabbed and carted away but I couldn’t find anyone in actual charge to discuss about any assistance I could offer.TBF I have seen videos of fairly large lorries being used.
    The NW organiser, Anna Buckley was the one who told me they need cash not drivers because Poland were charging them £2k per lorry which sounds bizarre!
    I’m going to try and attach her details to this post but not great at that stuff

How do I insert a screenshot?