+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Music Royalties.

Music Royalties.

I know that i could google this, but it wouldn't start any conversation or interesting Anecdote, but how does it work? I was always under the impression that the writer got the biggest share over the artist. How is it calculated, and do radio and streaming sevices have to produce a list of how many times a song has been played or downloaded? Who has made the most money from Royalties, both Writer and Artist? What's the percentage?

Re: Music Royalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I know that i could google this, but it wouldn't start any conversation or interesting Anecdote, but how does it work? I was always under the impression that the writer got the biggest share over the artist. How is it calculated, and do radio and streaming sevices have to produce a list of how many times a song has been played or downloaded? Who has made the most money from Royalties, both Writer and Artist? What's the percentage?
    Essentially there are two types of copyright. There's MCPS, a mechanical copyright that protects what has been written, so the writer, arranger gets a cut. There's PRS, which is performing rights and covers actual recordings.

This might help.

https://www.prsformusic.com/royalties/online-royalties

Paul McCartney wins the Postcode Lottery every night

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Essentially there are two types of copyright. There's MCPS, a mechanical copyright that protects what has been written, so the writer, arranger gets a cut. There's PRS, which is performing rights and covers actual recordings.
    This might help.

https://www.prsformusic.com/royalties/online-royalties
    I think I'm right in saying that Copyright covers recordings and PRS relates to the royalties negotiated to play those recordings.
    PRS isn't a branch of IP/Copyright, as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think I'm right in saying that Copyright covers recordings and PRS relates to the royalties negotiated to play those recordings.
    PRS isn't a branch of IP/Copyright, as such.
    Yes, very much. Thanks for the clarification. I didn't explain it that well.

Performers of other writer's songs earn royalties from sales of that recorded version only. They would not collect royalties from TV, radio, YouTube, Spotify or similar play. Song writers earn royalties from all of the above. Royalties are normally collected by a performing rights agency of which the songwriter would be a member. In the US it's usually ASCAP or BMI. Although there are others. These agencies monitor airplay or performances and collect royalties on behalf of the writer. It's a common practice today for there to be multiple writers and arrangers with songwriting credits on one song. Including the producer. More often than not, the lyricist receives 50% of the song royalties and the music is split between the remaining contributors. So write your own lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Performers of other writer's songs earn royalties from sales of that recorded version only. They would not collect royalties from TV, radio, YouTube, Spotify or similar play. Song writers earn royalties from all of the above. Royalties are normally collected by a performing rights agency of which the songwriter would be a member. In the US it's usually ASCAP or BMI. Although there are others. These agencies monitor airplay or performances and collect royalties on behalf of the writer. It's a common practice today for there to be multiple writers and arrangers with songwriting credits on one song. Including the producer. More often than not, the lyricist receives 50% of the song royalties and the music is split between the remaining contributors. So write your own lyrics.
    There's a phrase related to that:

Change a word, take a third

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    There's a phrase related to that:

Change a word, take a third
    I think that changing just one word would fail the 'substantiality' threshold (which is not easily defined) that would create a new copyright.

A guy I know makes a bit of music, tv music for the bbc etc. never made much cash but then some popular usa pop like outfit nicked a track and used it on their tv show about 10 yrs ago. He got a music lawyer to go after them for copyright, think he’s got about 750,000 to date as he gets royalties every 3 months or so…..

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think that changing just one word would fail the 'substantiality' threshold (which is not easily defined) that would create a new copyright.
    It's a phrase, that's all. I'm not giving legal advice!

I think the rules are different in the UK to the US, so radio performances generate a royalty payment to the owner of the master recording and by extension, the songwriter, via a music publisher.
    For streaming, there is a lot of debate about the writer’s share, which is considered well below par.
    The problem is that 3 biggest music publishers just happen to be sister companies to the 3 biggest record companies.
    The way to maximise royalties is to own the copyright as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I know that i could google this, but it wouldn't start any conversation or interesting Anecdote, but how does it work?
    You get a cheque for +- £3.62 every 3 months.