+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Doyle

Tommy Doyle

Have we got a chance in hell of signing him?

I think he's class not sure that he's premier league level but would be a fantastic acquisition for us.

Re: Tommy Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

I think he's class not sure that he's premier league level but would be a fantastic acquisition for us.
    On loan again maybe. Hes not getting anywhere near the Man City 1st team.

Depends if someone else who can afford him buys him or he gets a better loan.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

No chance whatsoever of getting him permanently at the moment I’d have said.

The best we can hope for is another season-long loan. He's what we've been missing for many a year.

It's often banded around on this message board that "so and so would walk into any top six Championship side" - I believe Tommy Doyle truly would.

Am I the only one not signed up to the Tommy Doyle fan club ? A couple of good moments last week but he seems anonymous for most of the games I've seen him play.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Am I the only one not signed up to the Tommy Doyle fan club? A couple of good moments last week but he seems anonymous for most of the games I've seen him play.
    Like much about the current situation, I think the quality of Doyle's performances are being overstated.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Like much about the current situation, I think the quality of Doyle's performances are being overstated.
    Agreed. A midfielder with a hint of talent would always look impressive against the background of the rest of our midfield.

Put me in midfield with Pack Bacuna and Vaulks and I'd look impressive
    Well at least interested 😁
    I think Doyle is a decent signing and I hope we get him on a season long loan in August

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Agreed. A midfielder with a hint of talent would always look impressive against the background of the rest of our midfield.
    That's the rub, Eric. You're bang on in my opinion. We haven't had a midfield player with the ability to look up, play a pass and follow it since, since......? Doyle is assertive on the ball, everything is about getting the ball forward, and at pace, you can see that he has been coached at a club who play that way. He's attempting to play the game in the correct way, to many of our fans, he looks like some kind of footballing revolutionary, he isn't, not yet, maybe never. It just shows us how starved of a decent assertive midfielder we as fans have been for so many years. I do like him though.

That was a classy goal he scored at Huddersfield and there are little moments of high skill from him in every game he plays, but I agree that he doesn’t dominate games (that said, apart from the occasional Joe Ralls performance, what City midfielder has done that in recent years?), he shows his inexperience at times and I expected better from him from dead ball deliveries - I’d still love to have him here on loan next season though.

Does anyone care to comment on my assertion that he'd walk into any of the top six Championship sides?
    (do remember, Harry Wilson was also accused of being anonymous in games for us).

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Does anyone care to comment on my assertion that he'd walk into any of the top six Championship sides?
    (do remember, Harry Wilson was also accused of being anonymous in games for us).
    Think he’d struggle to get in the Fulham side, I could see him being in the Bournemouth first team squad and he’d certainly feature in the first team at any of the other challenging sides as a substitute at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I don't think he would. I reckon he'd be a decent squad player for almost any side in this division and he'd get plenty of game time at most of them, but he wouldn't simply walk into too many sides.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I don't think he would. I reckon he'd be a decent squad player for almost any side in this division and he'd get plenty of game time at most of them, but he wouldn't simply walk into too many sides.
    have you factored in the probability that he might look a lot better playing for a top 6 side than he does for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    have you factored in the probability that he might look a lot better playing for a top 6 side than he does for us?
    Yes. And the answer's the same.

Not sure he’d walk in any side though. Take Sheff Utd, they’ve got Fleck, Norwood, Berge and MGW. Fulham, no chance. Bournemouth, possibly? He’s a good player but he’s not that good (yet).

Does that theory work for all footballers. Would Kieffer Moore score more goals if he played for Liverpool?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Does that theory work for all footballers. Would Kieffer Moore score more goals if he played for Liverpool?
    if he played for liverpool against championship teams, yes

Am I the only one not signed up to the Tommy Doyle fan club ? A couple of good moments last week but he seems anonymous for most of the games I've seen him play.
    Him and Wintle have totally changed our midfield for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Him and Wintle have totally changed our midfield for the better.
    Wintle, I like.

if he played for liverpool against championship teams, yes
    Good answer My point is that Kieffer Moore, and Tommy Doyle would have to think as quickly as the better players around them, in terms of movement, positional sense, anticipation etc. I'm not saying that they couldn't do it, but it's not a given that they could.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That's the rub, Eric. You're bang on in my opinion. We haven't had a midfield player with the ability to look up, play a pass and follow it since, since......? Doyle is assertive on the ball, everything is about getting the ball forward, and at pace, you can see that he has been coached at a club who play that way. He's attempting to play the game in the correct way, to many of our fans, he looks like some kind of footballing revolutionary, he isn't, not yet, maybe never. It just shows us how starved of a decent assertive midfielder we as fans have been for so many years. I do like him though.
    Plenty of cardiff fans that have not seen this type of player for us have seen eed them for plenty of other teams though.. be it in our league or through the many games on TV these days..

Yes he stands out because of what we've been missing in the team, but I also think he's decent at what he's been brought in to do as well

Wintle, I like.
    Me too.

Doyle is OK...ish. With our possession stats plummeting though, who needs a midfield?

Wintle, I like.
    Wintle, Ralls and Doyle would be the best midfield we’ve had for sometime I think….

I think what has certainly helped him (and probably Wintle) is coming in fresh and not have the fear/ baggage/ terrible coaching that the rest our our squad had. Confidence and a bit of arrogance are a big asset too IMO.