+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Doyle

International

Re: Tommy Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Not sure he’d walk in any side though. Take Sheff Utd, they’ve got Fleck, Norwood, Berge and MGW. Fulham, no chance. Bournemouth, possibly? He’s a good player but he’s not that good (yet).

I think he'd thrive at Fulham, they'd play him ahead of Nobby Reid surely?

With better players you'd see how good he is, he'd be brilliant with Mitrovich and Wilson.

International

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Wintle, I like.
    Brilliant player, how much better does our shaky defence look, and that's without Morrison!

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Wintle, Ralls and Doyle would be the best midfield we’ve had for sometime I think….
    Agreed !

Just had a look at his stats on whoscored. Yes, they don't always tell the whole story but they suggest he's a player who gives it a go but has a long way to go in terms of accuracy.

He has a below average pass success rate, not very good cross and set piece success rate, has more unsuccessful touches than most of our midfield and has a high percentage of shots off target. Yet he still has a goal and an assist, is not easily dispossessed and does well with key passes (whatever they are).

I think much of that is due to him being a player who looks to make things happen. He'll try a shot or pass that others wouldn't. Without doubt he has added a dimension to our midfield that wasn't there before and he's learning the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Just had a look at his stats on whoscored. Yes, they don't always tell the whole story but they suggest he's a player who gives it a go but has a long way to go in terms of accuracy.

He has a below average pass success rate, not very good cross and set piece success rate, has more unsuccessful touches than most of our midfield and has a high percentage of shots off target. Yet he still has a goal and an assist, is not easily dispossessed and does well with key passes (whatever they are).

I think much of that is due to him being a player who looks to make things happen. He'll try a shot or pass that others wouldn't. Without doubt he has added a dimension to our midfield that wasn't there before and he's learning the game.
    There was a site that someone linked to on here called EFL analysis that had some interesting breakdowns of recent matches, but sadly it seems to have stopped being updated in late November.

It showed amongst other things, the xT or expected threat for each player for each game, and also broke it down to show xT generated and xT lost by each player broken down to dribbles and passes.

xT is a measure of how much an on field action improves your team's chances of scoring - by looking at your chances of scoring before and after the action.

So if you dribble past a defender - increase in xT.
    If you thread a pass to a player in a good position, increase in xT
    If you try to dribble and lose the ball - decrease in xT
    If you delay your pass too long and the defence can reset - decrease in xT etc etc
    (here's a nice little blog post about it)
    https://karun.in/blog/expected-threat.html

I suspect that Doyle would have high positive AND high negative xT (they often go hand in hand) and you need to have a couple of players like that in your side, or you just become too predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Yet to the naked eye he looks a decent enough player

Just putting it out there like.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Does that theory work for all footballers. Would Kieffer Moore score more goals if he played for Liverpool?
    I asked this about Mitrovic the other day and no one cared

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'm one of the 'Big Fish' on here, Delm.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Like much about the current situation, I think the quality of Doyle's performances are being overstated.
    Well, there's a surprise.

He’s been great, not sure why some people are trying to knock him. We had limited time to get a certain type of player in and he’s done what’s been asked of him and probably more. Wasn’t long ago some posters were questioning if he was better than what we had because he didn’t plan in Belgium.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Just putting it out there like.

Oh. There it is.

Nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Needy.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    Well, there's a surprise.
    Would you be happier if I said I reckon he’s been sensational? Or how about remarkable?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm one of the 'Big Fish' on here, Delm.
    Well as the original Uche criticiser I was under the impression that I was as well but clearly not. It was nice while it lasted

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Yet to the naked eye he looks a decent enough player
    He does. He's not perfect, but I'd be very pleased if we could sign him permanently.

Would you be happier if I said I reckon he’s been sensational? Or how about remarkable?
    TBH I wouldn't give a camel's connection. But your faux negativity amuses me.

Faux negativity. Nice. That's a new one.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you reckon Doyle has thus far been remarkable/sensational/incredible (delete as applicable). But then your faux positivity amuses me.

Personally, I think Cody Drameh has been the stand-out loan signing. It's easy to see why Leeds bought him out of the Fulham academy, gave him a four-year contract and had him in and around their first team this season. He's almost exactly the same age as Doyle but looks to me to be a fair bit further down the road in terms of development. I'm really impressed with him.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Wintle, Ralls and Doyle would be the best midfield we’ve had for sometime I think….
    That was City's midfield against a Derby team who were struggling for confidence.
    They were awful - especially in the first half.
    Couldn't make a pass and were completely over-run.
    I'd say they are lightweight and struggle to impose themselves on the opposition midfield.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you reckon Doyle has thus far been remarkable/sensational/incredible (delete as applicable). But then your faux positivity amuses me.

Personally, I think Cody Drameh has been the stand-out loan signing. It's easy to see why Leeds bought him out of the Fulham academy, gave him a four-year contract and had him in and around their first team this season. He's almost exactly the same age as Doyle but looks to me to be a fair bit further down the road in terms of development. I'm really impressed with him.
    I'm pleased to see you are paying attention.

I think everyone would agree Cody Dramah has been the stand-out. But I think it's a given that we can't sign him. Doyle seems somewhat plausible.

He said he was shit based in appearances for hamburg. He's got to keep it up now.

Only a goal and an assist every other game will, possibly, change his mind. Even then we'll get stats on missed passes.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He does. He's not perfect, but I'd be very pleased if we could sign him permanently.
    I'd take that, maybe a step yoo far for us but failing that I'd love him on another season long loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    That was City's midfield against a Derby team who were struggling for confidence.
    They were awful - especially in the first half.
    Couldn't make a pass and were completely over-run.
    I'd say they are lightweight and struggle to impose themselves on the opposition midfield.
    “lightweight”? I despair. After a decade of boring and pretty unsuccessful power based “football” from Cardiff City, you think the answer to us not having enough of the ball (hardly a new phenomenon with our team) is more power!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    “lightweight”? I despair. After a decade of boring and pretty unsuccessful power based “football” from Cardiff City, you think the answer to us not having enough of the ball (hardly a new phenomenon with our team) is more power!
    Yep.
    Once again, against a Derby side who were lacking in confidence after a poor run, City had around 36% possession. During the first half, the midfield couldn't keep the ball and couldn't pass to a man in blue.
    If one was to judge from the number of times players are mentioned in commentary, during the first 45 minutes, you wouldn't have known Wintle and Doyle were playing.
    "After a decade of boring and pretty unsuccessful power based “football” from Cardiff City...' Are you for real? Two promotions from the Championship in the last decade! Unsuccessful! Teams like Derby would give their right legs for that record.
    If you were to ask City fans for the best five midfielders over the last decade the list would probably include Medel, Whittingham, Gunnarsson, Mutch and Grujic. Why them? What were their qualities? Do you really think Wintle and Doyle are in the same class as them? And if not, why not?
    This is a club who have just given a new contract to a player who was securely tucked in the pocket of two average-but-strong centre backs the whole time he was on the pitch on Tuesday.
    I despair at how fans like you, and the clubs management are saying that the present quality of the team (largely loanees who can't get into their own teams; players who were not wanted by City and loaned out and inexperienced lads who have come through the youth system) is acceptable.
    City's immediate future is in the doldrums.