+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Put together your best City XI from Dave Jones reign to the present

Put together your best City XI from Dave Jones reign to the present

Although I've not thought about it too deeply as yet, there would be a few shoe-ins such as Marshall, Ramsey, Bothroyd, Chops, Whitts & Bellamy. I'd probably put Scimeca in there too. My side, when I compile it will not include players whose best was well behind them when they joined us, such as Hasselbaink and Fowler. Needless to say, none of the class of 2022 come anywhere near this team.

Probably more difficult than you think to come up with the best composite team but have a go anyhow.

Re: Put together your best City XI from Dave Jones reign to the present

Marshall

McNaughton, Manga, Hudson, Kennedy

Ramsey, Gunnarsson, Whitts

Chops, Bothroyd, Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Marshall

McNaughton, Manga, Hudson, Kennedy

Ramsey, Gunnarsson, Whitts

Chops, Bothroyd, Bellamy
    Something like this. I'd try to fit in Medel and Zaha though. Maybe Fabio da Silva. Maybe even Sean Morrison at his peak.

For me it’s;
    Marshall

Mcnaughton
    Morrison
    Hudson
    Fabio

Bellamy
    McPhail
    Whittingham
    Koumas from 05/06

Bothroyd
    Chopra

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    For me it’s;
    Marshall

Mcnaughton
    Morrison
    Hudson
    Fabio

Bellamy
    McPhail
    Whittingham
    Koumas from 05/06

Bothroyd
    Chopra
    Koumas, good shout. But you've left out Rambo.

Marshall

Hudson
    Manga
    Cala

Koumas
    Gunners
    Carmarasa
    Whitts
    Bellamy

Chopra
    Bothroyd

Two sides:

Heaton
    Drameh Manga Loovens Bennett
    Whittingham Gunnarsson McPhail Bellamy
    Bothroyd Chopra

Alexander
    McNaughton Hudson Morrison Kennedy
    Burke Scimeca Ledley Noone
    Zohore McCormack

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus_Mills View Post
    How did I forget Gabbs?

Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
    Marshall

Hudson
    Manga
    Cala

Koumas
    Gunners
    Carmarasa
    Whitts
    Bellamy

Chopra
    Bothroyd
    Cala? No argument about the other ten, but Cala?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Two sides:

Heaton
    Drameh Manga Loovens Bennett
    Whittingham Gunnarsson McPhail Bellamy
    Bothroyd Chopra

Alexander
    McNaughton Hudson Morrison Kennedy
    Burke Scimeca Ledley Noone
    Zohore McCormack
    No Marshall?

Marshall

Manga
    Morrison
    Hudson
    Bennett

Ramsey
    McPhail
    Whittingham

Koumas

Bothroyd
    McCormack

That midfield really brings home how starved we’ve been of quality in that area of the pitch in recent seasons and that defence tends to highlight how few defenders we’ve had who were both effective at that part of the game and comfortable in possession - Gabbidon was pre Dave Jones.

An interesting, and much tougher, assignment would be to pick a post Dave Jones team.

I have read through the replies. Great question. Tough to answer and impossible to fit all the midfielders in.
    My one problem area is Left Back.I think we have long struggled in that position and I will never forgive Kennedy’s woeful erformance against Ipswich at NP.

Marshall
    McNaughton
    Hudson
    Gabbidon
    Fabio
    Whitts
    McPhail
    Koumas
    Bellers
    Bothroyd
    Chopra

Subs.
    Heaton
    Johnson
    Loovens
    McCormack
    Gunnars
    Camarasa
    Burke

No Ramsay.

Marshall Manga Morrison Johnson Bennett Bellamy Ramsey Whitts Koumas Chopra Bothroyd.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Cala? No argument about the other ten, but Cala?
    I think he’s kicked on since leaving us mind

Not sure if it’s how they played when at Cardiff or before and after eg Schmichel and Zaha.
    Schmichel

McNaughton
    Purse
    Hudson
    Kennedy

Whittingham
    Medel
    Ramsey

Bellamy
    Chopra
    Bothroyd

Subs
    Marshall
    Manga
    Gunnasson
    McFail
    Zaha
    Kouma
    McCormack

Manager
    Dave Jones

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Not sure if it’s how they played when at Cardiff or before and after eg Schmichel and Zaha.
    Schmichel

McNaughton
    Purse
    Hudson
    Kennedy

Whittingham
    Medel
    Ramsey

Bellamy
    Chopra
    Bothroyd

Subs
    Marshall
    Manga
    Gunnasson
    McFail
    Zaha
    Kouma
    McCormack

Manager
    Dave Jones
    Glaring error.

4 3 3 and Dave Jones?

Marshall

Manga
    Morrison
    Hudson
    Bennett

Ramsey
    McPhail
    Whittingham

Koumas

Bothroyd
    McCormack

That midfield really brings home how starved we’ve been of quality in that area of the pitch in recent seasons and that defence tends to highlight how few defenders we’ve had who were both effective at that part of the game and comfortable in possession - Gabbidon was pre Dave Jones.

An interesting, and much tougher, assignment would be to pick a post Dave Jones team.
    Yet I remember back in the day how most City fans considered our midfield to be too lightweight and easily dominated, particularly by a midfield 3.

My post Jones team:

Marshall

Drameh Manga Morrison Bennett
    Noone Gunnarsson Whittingham Bellamy
    Zohore I Davies

Subs: Etheridge, Bamba, Turner, Ralls, Hoilett, Mendez-Laing, Mason, Paterson.

Midfield creativity disappeared when Whitts was eased out of the squad. Up front was the biggest problem - lots of strikers, but very few good ones. We've had a decade of being able to turn 20 goal a season forwards into donkeys who couldn't hit a barn door from point blank range.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I think he’s kicked on since leaving us mind
    Indeed. He's done a great job at AFC KKK.

Yet I remember back in the day how most City fans considered our midfield to be too lightweight and easily dominated, particularly by a midfield 3.

My post Jones team:

Marshall

Drameh Manga Morrison Bennett
    Noone Gunnarsson Whittingham Bellamy
    Zohore I Davies

Subs: Etheridge, Bamba, Turner, Ralls, Hoilett, Mendez-Laing, Mason, Paterson.

Midfield creativity disappeared when Whitts was eased out of the squad. Up front was the biggest problem - lots of strikers, but very few good ones. We've had a decade of being able to turn 20 goal a season forwards into donkeys who couldn't hit a barn door from point blank range.
    I can remember that being said for Slade's teams with Gunnar and Whittingham in centre midfield, but not teams with Steve McPhail in the line up (maybe a look through past blog pieces of mine from the McPhail/Ledley era would prove me wrong though).

Regarding your post Jones team, I might be inclined to put Theophile-Catharine, or maybe Peltier, at right back because, although Drameh may well develop into a better player than both of them, I don't think he's quite there yet - agree with the keeper and the other three defenders though.

In central midfielder, we hit the problem I mentioned earlier of Gunnar and Whitts being overwhelmed, so I might be inclined to stick Ralls in (Ramsey played for us in the post Jones era as well mind and there's Jordon Mutch who I think was one of our few successes in 13/14) and have a three with Bellamy as one of the forwards.

Although I'm a big Isaak Davies fan, I couldn't believe it when I saw his name in your team, but a bit more thought had me feeling there weren't many better options than him, although I'd have Frazier Campbell in there I think.

My team

Marshall

Peltier
    Morrison
    Manga
    Bennett

Whittingham
    Gunnarsson
    Mutch

Zohore
    Campbell
    Bellamy

I can remember that being said for Slade's teams with Gunnar and Whittingham in centre midfield, but not teams with Steve McPhail in the line up (maybe a look through past blog pieces of mine from the McPhail/Ledley era would prove me wrong though).

Regarding your post Jones team, I might be inclined to put Theophile-Catharine, or maybe Peltier, at right back because, although Drameh may well develop into a better player than both of them, I don't think he's quite there yet - agree with the keeper and the other three defenders though.

In central midfielder, we hit the problem I mentioned earlier of Gunnar and Whitts being overwhelmed, so I might be inclined to stick Ralls in (Ramsey played for us in the post Jones era as well mind and there's Jordon Mutch who I think was one of our few successes in 13/14) and have a three with Bellamy as one of the forwards.

Although I'm a big Isaak Davies fan, I couldn't believe it when I saw his name in your team, but a bit more thought had me feeling there weren't many better options than him, although I'd have Frazier Campbell in there I think.

My team

Marshall

Peltier
    Morrison
    Manga
    Bennett

Whittingham
    Gunnarsson
    Mutch

Zohore
    Campbell
    Bellamy
    Malky had Whittingham tracking back and tackling, something he only really ever did for him. I recall a story he gave where he kept showing Whitts a video of him running back and making a tackle. Everyone had to work hard in Malky's team regardless of how talended they were. Of all his qualities, Whitts wasn't particularly defensive minded and when Slade was manager, I think Whitts had more free reign, leaving Gunnarsson more exposed.

I forgot about Mutch.

I must confess to including Davies as a bit of shock value. We have a youngster who has scored, provided assists and got fans excited, and is also one of our own. Time will tell if he does make the grade at this level or higher, but I can't remember the last time I got this excited about a Cardiff player. It would probably have been Earnshaw, even if we did have Bellamy for a few seasons and also brought back Rambo. He's what the club has missed over the last decade or more.

Malky had Whittingham tracking back and tackling, something he only really ever did for him. I recall a story he gave where he kept showing Whitts a video of him running back and making a tackle. Everyone had to work hard in Malky's team regardless of how talended they were. Of all his qualities, Whitts wasn't particularly defensive minded and when Slade was manager, I think Whitts had more free reign, leaving Gunnarsson more exposed.

I forgot about Mutch.

I must confess to including Davies as a bit of shock value. We have a youngster who has scored, provided assists and got fans excited, and is also one of our own. Time will tell if he does make the grade at this level or higher, but I can't remember the last time I got this excited about a Cardiff player. It would probably have been Earnshaw, even if we did have Bellamy for a few seasons and also brought back Rambo. He's what the club has missed over the last decade or more.
    Completely agree with your sentiments in your last paragraph. One other thing I meant to mention is that I gave no thought to including players like Medel, Caulker, Zaha or Lambert because I always think selection should be based on what someone did playing for us in these sort of teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    For me it’s;
    Marshall

Mcnaughton
    Morrison
    Hudson
    Fabio

Bellamy
    McPhail
    Whittingham
    Koumas from 05/06

Bothroyd
    Chopra
    that midfield would get torn to shreds - fantastic on the ball though

The weakest position is full back (wing back there are slightly more choices).

Some fantastic servants to the club, but much less quality and fewer options than in other areas of the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The weakest position is full back (wing back there are slightly more choices).

Some fantastic servants to the club, but much less quality and fewer options than in other areas of the pitch.
    yes, possibly defensive midfield Is also not the best