+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Everton

Re: Everton

The one thing I thought Lampard would bring was a bit of fight, yesterday was an embarrassment…..and because they didn’t score I didn’t win 120 quid but I’m not bitter 🤣

Their defence is garbage not even decent Championship standard. Coleman Holgate Keane Kenny is shocking.

Would like to see them down.

One of these meh clubs that just seem to do nothing, in my lifetime anyway.

They would be almost straight back up unless they have issues behind the scenes, so maybe even their fans could enjoy watching something interesting for a change.

Relegation for them would be a financial disaster. They have loans taken out on a new stadium. Theyd need 7 or 8 new players.

That team as it stands would struggle to bounce back.

Calvert Lewin looks like hes downed tools.

They are terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Relegation for them would be a financial disaster. They have loans taken out on a new stadium. Theyd need 7 or 8 new players.

That team as it stands would struggle to bounce back.

Calvert Lewin looks like hes downed tools.

They are terrible.
    52,000 seater new stadium going up in the docks. If Everton get relegated, it could be our last chance to see them at Goodison. The Everton ST holders in our family are a little worried about their prospects, to say the least.
    The new stadium looks superb but, no doubt, relies on income from remaining in the PL. Everton's run in at the end of the season is not going to do them any favours.

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/24348...verton-stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Not sure Everton are considered one of the 'big six' and probably haven't been since the phrase really got pushed by Sky. That being said it'd be the biggest relegation out of the top flight ever arguably. Hope Burnley do stay up but think their time is up.
    Bigger than Villa when they went down a few years back?

Burnley have stunk up the league for years, I have no desire to see them succeed. that said it would be very funny if lampard took Everton down

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Yes, I can remember Villa being in the old Third Division. I think I'm right in saying that only Arsenal have a longer top flight existence than Everton.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Everton have only been relegated twice, 1930s & 1950s, Villa on the other hand have, on times, been a bit of a yo yo club. No comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The Geordies have ridden out the storm by buying the biggest Yacht. Frank will just about keep Everton up, they'll start poorly next season, he'll get the boot and roll back into town with Derby when Ashley buys them out. Returning under the banner of 'Unfinished Business'
    Hopefully good ol' Frankie, if he goes to Derby under the banner of 'Unfinished Business' will take them out of League One...and into League Two

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Everton have only been relegated twice, 1930s & 1950s, Villa on the other hand have, on times, been a bit of a yo yo club. No comparison.
    Not sure what your definition of a yo-yo club is, but out of 123 seasons in the league since its inauguration, Villa have not been in the top flight for 15 of them. Their 108 seasons in the top division is the 2nd highest behind Everton, who've managed 119. They've been relegated from the top flight 5 times and their recent 3 season stint in the Championship was the 2nd longest they've been out of the top division since the 60s and 70s, where their 8 years included 2 seasons in Division 3, as TOBW mentioned.

Looking at my records, Arsenal have been relegated from the top division once, Liverpool 3 times, Spurs 4, Villa and Man Utd 5, Chelsea and Newcastle 6, Man City 10. Villa have played more top flight matches than anyone bar Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton.

Everton are 7th in the all-time attendance table and as has been mentioned will be moving into a brand new 52,000 seat stadium in two years. I'd be amazed if they didn't come straight back up.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Everton are 7th in the all-time attendance table and as has been mentioned will be moving into a brand new 52,000 seat stadium in two years. I'd be amazed if they didn't come straight back up.
    I agree with that. When Villa went down a few years ago they had one of the worst PL seasons in history, they really were dreadful and I didn't think at the time they would go straight back up. Everton are nowhere near as bad as that Villa team were.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Likewise, seems like this is a now or never moment in football as well, likelihood is they'll sort themselves out and be fine next season. Would make a real change to the usual sized clubs that yoyo between the two divisions.

Looking at an example such as Hamburg however, you never know... maybe Everton come down and it just all goes wrong, Hamburg have had a horrendous time trying to get out of the Bundesliga 2. I can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Not sure what your definition of a yo-yo club is, but out of 123 seasons in the league since its inauguration, Villa have not been in the top flight for 15 of them. Their 108 seasons in the top division is the 2nd highest behind Everton, who've managed 119. They've been relegated from the top flight 5 times and their recent 3 season stint in the Championship was the 2nd longest they've been out of the top division since the 60s and 70s, where their 8 years included 2 seasons in Division 3, as TOBW mentioned.

Looking at my records, Arsenal have been relegated from the top division once, Liverpool 3 times, Spurs 4, Villa and Man Utd 5, Chelsea and Newcastle 6, Man City 10. Villa have played more top flight matches than anyone bar Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton.
    Villa’s top flight record is certainly helped by being one of the 12. Compared to Everton in modern times they’ve had the bleaker time. Ok, not so much a yo yo club but compared to the others, bar Man City, going down to the third tier would be unthinkable. In my growing up years Villa were the record FA Cup winners, that record’s been obliterated. Yes, they have a very commendable European Cup to their name but to me they’ve always been a successful Victorian/Edwardian club. But, as you’ve corrected me, not a yo yo club, it just seems to me we’ve played them in the league a lot more than the other bigger guns.

Villa’s top flight record is certainly helped by being one of the 12. Compared to Everton in modern times they’ve had the bleaker time. Ok, not so much a yo yo club but compared to the others, bar Man City, going down to the third tier would be unthinkable. In my growing up years Villa were the record FA Cup winners, that record’s been obliterated. Yes, they have a very commendable European Cup to their name but to me they’ve always been a successful Victorian/Edwardian club. But, as you’ve corrected me, not a yo yo club, it just seems to me we’ve played them in the league a lot more than the other bigger guns.
    I know what you mean about seeming to play Villa more often than the other big clubs. Possibly because I have very clear recollections of us playing them in the 60's and 70's. Villa v City was my first away game in 1968 and the 3-0 City victory on Boxing Day 1967 is etched in my memory due to Bobby Brown's career ending knee injury.

I'm not quite sure I agree with that, either. Even if you took away a few seasons until the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd joined the league, their record of appearances in the top flight is still very impressive.

I get what you mean about their successes; their 1957 FA cup win was their first silverware for years and, League cup apart, they've won 1 title and European cup, though should have won the title again at least once in the 90s. It certainly doesn't compare with the bigger names in the top flight.

You're right to an extent that we have played them more often than the other bigger guns. Here's a list of teams and the number of times we've played them in the league, where the number of games against them in the top flight is greater than the rest (team, total games, top flight games, 2nd tier games):

Manchester United 30 28 2
    Liverpool 30 24 6
    Arsenal 34 34 0
    Everton 34 30 4
    Chelsea 38 24 14
    Manchester City 42 30 12
    Tottenham Hotspur 44 32 12
    Aston Villa 50 32 18
    West Bromwich Albion 52 28 24
    Newcastle United 54 32 22

We played Villa in every one of their 6 2nd division seasons in the late 60s/early 70s. We also played them in 8 out of 9 seasons between 1952/53 and 1961/62, so those who are older than me will have lots of memories of playing Villa. After we lost 2-0 to them at Villa Park in 1975 we've only faced each other 6 times in the league - we didn't play them again in the league until September 2013 when we lost 2-0 again up there. Since 1975 we've played Spurs as often in the league.

Those with longer memories than me won't have many fond memories of Villa Park. We've lost 13 and drawn 2 of our last 15 visits there, while we've won 9 of our last 14 at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I know what you mean about seeming to play Villa more often than the other big clubs. Possibly because I have very clear recollections of us playing them in the 60's and 70's. Villa v City was my first away game in 1968 and the 3-0 City victory on Boxing Day 1967 is etched in my memory due to Bobby Brown's career ending knee injury.

How many city would have travelled to Villa in 68, and would it have been by football special, or did away support only really become big in the 70’s ?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    How many city would have travelled to Villa in 68, and would it have been by football special, or did away support only really become big in the 70’s ?
    I went, by train, not sure if it was a football special. It was a snowy Boxing Day and we seemed to be at the ground really early. Groundstaff were clearing the snow away from the approaches (Derby would have had it postponed no bother).

One strange anecdote, I’m sure it happened, unless my memory is going doolally, is that Coventry’s game v Wolves had been postponed. Us City fans were stationed on the terraces by the half way line with Wolves fans in front of us supporting us and Coventry fans behind us, also supporting us. The Coventry fans were quite concerned with the Wolves fans presence and urged us not to let on that they were there.

There were a lot of City fans there that day as there were at all the 60s away games I went to, Plymouth in ‘67 being my first. Bluetit (Tony Jefferies) very often in the same company as me. The players very often travelled home on the same train as us.

I went, by train, not sure if it was a football special. It was a snowy Boxing Day and we seemed to be at the ground really early. Groundstaff were clearing the snow away from the approaches (Derby would have had it postponed no bother).

One strange anecdote, I’m sure it happened, unless my memory is going doolally, is that Coventry’s game v Wolves had been postponed. Us City fans were stationed on the terraces by the half way line with Wolves fans in front of us supporting us and Coventry fans behind us, also supporting us. The Coventry fans were quite concerned with the Wolves fans presence and urged us not to let on that they were there.

There were a lot of City fans there that day as there were at all the 60s away games I went to, Plymouth in ‘67 being my first. Bluetit (Tony Jefferies) very often in the same company as me. The players very often travelled home on the same train as us.
    Sounds like a brilliant day out that, interesting perspective, thanks

You're right about the postponement. It ended up being played in April and was Wolves' last home game of the season! Mrs Half a Bee recalls an away trip up north that was cancelled, probably in the 90s and a load of City fans ended up at Goodison Park instead.

A year after that fixture, Villa would be relegated to Div 3 for the first time and, a season later, we came close to a return to Div 1. I wasn't alive at the time, but it appears that those days in the late 60s, early 70s only really came back to the club in the late 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You're right about the postponement. It ended up being played in April and was Wolves' last home game of the season! Mrs Half a Bee recalls an away trip up north that was cancelled, probably in the 90s and a load of City fans ended up at Goodison Park instead.

A year after that fixture, Villa would be relegated to Div 3 for the first time and, a season later, we came close to a return to Div 1. I wasn't alive at the time, but it appears that those days in the late 60s, early 70s only really came back to the club in the late 2000s.
    For a brief few years they were exciting Eric and we should have taken the final step. Crowds were rising, fewer plastics, nearly everyone at school was a City fan, helped by free entry every now & again with our sports master providing complimentaries. Massive FA Cup crowds when playing top flight clubs sort of pointed to the type of crowds we’d get had we’d gone up, attendances were often 20 thousand +, I remember a 30,000 against QPR. If only Fred Dewey and his board had shown a bit more financial ooomph, we could have gone from strength to strength, we had a 60,000 capacity ground for God’s sake. It was a criminal wasted opportunity.

I’m so glad you confirmed the postponement of Coventry v Wolves because of all the things I miss, it’s my mind I miss the most

For a brief few years they were exciting Eric and we should have taken the final step. Crowds were rising, fewer plastics, nearly everyone at school was a City fan, helped by free entry every now & again with our sports master providing complimentaries. Massive FA Cup crowds when playing top flight clubs sort of pointed to the type of crowds we’d get had we’d gone up, attendances were often 20 thousand +, I remember a 30,000 against QPR. If only Fred Dewey and his board had shown a bit more financial ooomph, we could have gone from strength to strength, we had a 60,000 capacity ground for God’s sake. It was a criminal wasted opportunity.

I’m so glad you confirmed the postponement of Coventry v Wolves because of all the things I miss, it’s my mind I miss the most
    It wasn't as if the first division was an unknown at the time for City, either. I know the phrase "sleeping giant" has often been used, but we saw last time we were in the Prem that there is a huge demand for top flight football and that really should be our ambition. To think how bleak things had become within 20 years is incredible, given that our seasons outside the top two divisions were very rare.

Very interesting to read. Thanks.

I remember a 30,000 against QPR.
    September 1969 and I was there. Rodney Marsh was the big draw for that game and it was reckoned he put a few thousand on the gate. Cardiff won 4-2 with John Toshack scoring 3. Terry Venables was in the QPR team that day and scored a penalty.

It was Cardiff's first crowd over 30000 in Division 2 since the 52000 against Aston Villa in the promotion year of 1960.

Everton now at risk of a points deduction: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ity-rules.html