+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Green Revolution, energy prices and the War

International

The Green Revolution, energy prices and the War

It looks like Boris about to say we can't buy any Russian oil or gas, everything is going to get even more expensive, we'll do something towards it, and it's full push to the green revolution so we don't have to suffer like this again.

Are they connected, will people go for it, and what are the alternatives?

Is the North Sea and or fracking a short term solution?

Re: The Green Revolution, energy prices and the War

Not pleased to see that my prediction of a few months ago has come to pass, but we're going to have to re-start oil and gas exploration pronto, in a bid to be as self-sufficient as we can. It won't affect the global price (well, not much), but at least we won't be relying on anyone else to supply it. Fracking is out at the moment, but drilling? Fill your boots.

it was always going that way, this might just speed it up

same as us going cashless, covid has appeared to have ramped that us, still have places that dont accept cash

I pity the fool who have just purchased a 2018 Dirty Diesel Qashqai

Get building that barrage between cardiff bay and Bristol….free power for us all, nice quick rd between both cities, no more Newport, few birds might have to find a new home to nest in a few miles upstream though…..

Saw earlier South Korea have thousands of floating solar panels.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    It looks like Boris about to say we can't buy any Russian oil or gas, everything is going to get even more expensive, we'll do something towards it, and it's full push to the green revolution so we don't have to suffer like this again.

Are they connected, will people go for it, and what are the alternatives?

Is the North Sea and or fracking a short term solution?
    Why would you get rid of the old solution when the new one wasn't already in place? Everybody will end up paying the price with a big drop in their standard of living.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Not pleased to see that my prediction of a few months ago has come to pass, but we're going to have to re-start oil and gas exploration pronto, in a bid to be as self-sufficient as we can. It won't affect the global price (well, not much), but at least we won't be relying on anyone else to supply it. Fracking is out at the moment, but drilling? Fill your boots.
    Unfortunately there won't be any drilling due to climate change, and the same thing is happening in the US too.

I think the opposite, we will sustain ourselves with dirty fuel for a long time to come and on our door step.
    It was okay to say that the uk will go green because it was placed like Russia that were supplying us with this type of fuel.
    Now we aren't sourcing it from there we have to get it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Why would you get rid of the old solution when the new one wasn't already in place? Everybody will end up paying the price with a big drop in their standard of living.
    Are we saying our standard of living is more important than supporting the poor people of the Ukraine ?

We are talking about people with white faces here remember ....

How long is it going to take to get any supply from more North Sea drilling or fracking though?

I don't understand how we ended up in this situation, nuclear power gives us the energy we need and is climate friendly. We should have been building them over the past 30 years. Typical of neoliberalists though to never think long term.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    How long is it going to take to get any supply from more North Sea drilling or fracking though?
    I don't think it would take that long, a lot of politicians think fracking is the answer, but there are even more against it, I think we need a combination of all three, Green measures, fracking and North Sea oil increases, some big decisions to be made in the coming weeks!

What I can't understand is how the price of oil got so high before the war, surely it's in their interests to keep the price down and country's dependant upon it, now they are pushing governments away faster to implement more and more green measures more quickly?

Unless Putin was trying to push the price up, could he have that much influence, so he could invade and leave the world more scared to implement sanctions?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I don't understand how we ended up in this situation, nuclear power gives us the energy we need and is climate friendly. We should have been building them over the past 30 years. Typical of neoliberalists though to never think long term.
    True its been talked about for years and no action has been taken?

I don't think it would take that long, a lot of politicians think fracking is the answer, but there are even more against it, I think we need a combination of all three, Green measures, fracking and North Sea oil increases, some big decisions to be made in the coming weeks!

What I can't understand is how the price of oil got so high before the war, surely it's in their interests to keep the price down and country's dependant upon it, now they are pushing governments away faster to implement more and more green measures more quickly?

Unless Putin was trying to push the price up, could he have that much influence, so he could invade and leave the world more scared to implement sanctions?
    Problem is that no one wants to live near a fracking site as it can infect and pollute the groundwater

Also, if I remember rightly, fracking sites tend to be quite short term, and stop being effective and efficient after just a few years.

I'm sure the government has a plan to purchase oil from elsewhere as will the USA money and influence always pulls through.

True its been talked about for years and no action has been taken?
    It's political back in 2018 Labour , SNP , Greens , Liberals were either split or against nuclear power favouring the German way forward, Tories didn't want to upset anyone , how things change .

Does seem to me that someone in the UK fuel supply is making the most of this. Here in Poland fuel costs have increased by about 10% but diesel is still only roughly £1 a litre.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Does seem to me that someone in the UK fuel supply is making the most of this. Here in Poland fuel costs have increased by about 10% but diesel is still only roughly £1 a litre.
    I'm on a Facebook group based in the US, they are moaning its risen to $3.99 ( it was about $3 before Putin started ) now, thats a GALLON though

20 years ago when there were fuel shortages, refinery blockades etc because the pump price was about to hit £1 a litre, people started driving more efficiently. Those who had fuel were bimbling along motorways at 50-55mph to increase efficiency.
    People just don't seem to have the same mindset at the moment.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I'm on a Facebook group based in the US, they are moaning its risen to $3.99 ( it was about $3 before Putin started ) now, thats a GALLON though
    US gallons are smaller. And gas taxes are tiny in comparison with the UK. They have also been fixed at something like 30-odd cents since the '80s I think. Those facts make a big difference to the pump prices.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It's political back in 2018 Labour , SNP , Greens , Liberals were either split or against nuclear power favouring the German way forward, Tories didn't want to upset anyone , how things change .
    I must have missed the Labour, SNP, Green, Liberal administration of 2018.

It is almost 50 years since the infamous Sheik Yamani (of “shake your money” fame) oil embargo and when OPEC more or less held the west to ransom over oil supplies. We should have learned from that experience and kick started the green revolution back then.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    It is almost 50 years since the infamous Sheik Yamani (of “shake your money” fame) oil embargo and when OPEC more or less held the west to ransom over oil supplies. We should have learned from that experience and kick started the green revolution back then.
    Definitely they've had us over a barrel (of oil) ever since!

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    US gallons are smaller. And gas taxes are tiny in comparison with the UK. They have also been fixed at something like 30-odd cents since the '80s I think. Those facts make a big difference to the pump prices.
    I though they hit this price and higher in 2008, 2011, 2012 & 2013 ?
    Last edited by OurManFlint II; 10-03-22 at 10:14. Reason: Actually checked lol

It's funny how all these companies are posting massive profits, record breaking in some cases.