+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-white City fans

Non-white City fans

Considering that Cardiff is arguably one of the most diverse areas in the United Kingdom, it's surprising that there never seems to be many non-white fans in the stands.

I've seen groups of Asian people in the first few rows of the Canton stand on an odd occasion but mainly in the recent Premier League season.

It makes me wonder why it's a sea of white faces when you look around and I'd be interested to know people's opinion on this.

It's fair to state that most people follow their clubs because their Dads/Grandads took them as boys and they've carried on going with their own kids. Could it be that racism from generations ago stopped men taking their sons due to feeling vulnerable and this has trickled down?

That brings about another question, too - Are there any fans on here who were never bothered about football as a child but starting going when they got older independent of any family or friends?

It seems strange that football teams all over the UK are a melting pot of different races, but are not represented at the stadium by fans.

Re: Non-white City fans

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Considering that Cardiff is arguably one of the most diverse areas in the United Kingdom…..
    Is it really? On what evidence do you base such a claim?

Considering that Cardiff is arguably one of the most diverse areas in the United Kingdom, it's surprising that there never seems to be many non-white fans in the stands.

I've seen groups of Asian people in the first few rows of the Canton stand on an odd occasion but mainly in the recent Premier League season.

It makes me wonder why it's a sea of white faces when you look around and I'd be interested to know people's opinion on this.

It's fair to state that most people follow their clubs because their Dads/Grandads took them as boys and they've carried on going with their own kids. Could it be that racism from generations ago stopped men taking their sons due to feeling vulnerable and this has trickled down?

That brings about another question, too - Are there any fans on here who were never bothered about football as a child but starting going when they got older independent of any family or friends?

It seems strange that football teams all over the UK are a melting pot of different races, but are not represented at the stadium by fans.

All people are welcome at our club regardless of colour, religion etc, which is as it should be. If a certain section of society choose not to support their local football club that is their choice.

For you to bring this to our attention suggests that you seem unduly concerned by the lack of non-white faces around you. Personally, when I attend football matches I am totally focussed on the performance of my team, not the demographic make-up of the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    its clearly not

Cardiff is the most diverse part of Wales, but very far from being one of the most diverse parts of the UK

Sludge will be along soon to clear this up, when he allegedly met with some Asian lads and they told him why they didnt feel welcome

I wouldn't say it's the most diverse, it's true to say it has a larger ethnic percentage than most parts of Wales which is common throughout the world and capital cities .

To become completely diverse I would suggest say we need to become a society where we live amongst each other right across the City , not like it is now where ethnic people feel happier amongst themselves as a tight knit community , and not spread far and wide .

Speaking as an Asian, I first got into football via my peers, both Asian and non-Asian. So the first teams I was aware of were Arsenal, Man Utd etc. Loved Henry when I was a really young kid. But I think the FA Cup run helped me get more into Cardiff and also increasing coverage of the EFL on TV and online (bearing in mind I spent most of my childhood away from South Wales, that did help a lot).

I think with the race thing, some Asians have the view that football fans are racist (some of my Asian mates even warn me to be careful at games!) so it must have tricked down. I think also in the past, only the big clubs would have been on TV so the support for these clubs may have trickled down, as some people get to know about football via their peers.

When I was younger, I used to go to City games with my parents, but as I got older I started going with friends. Though with your granddad/dad point, my dad isn't into football as much, but I think via my passion for football both my parents have an appreciation for the game.

It is interesting though how most Asians I know are into the big clubs but I think it might be mainly because of TV/media coverage and getting into football via peers, rather than via family

I think the thrust of the opening question was valid and I think that some posters were a tad harsh about the exact wording. All credit to adz for enlightening us regarding his personal and relevant experience regarding this matter and which has crossed my mind previously.

I know at Fulham the local residents are given free tickets and really encouraged to attend games…there’s a great opportunity for our club to do the same and target our ethnic community’s.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The Cencus

16 percent of the cities population is from an ethnic minority , its a far higher figure than the UK average

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    All people are welcome at our club regardless of colour, religion etc, which is as it should be. If a certain section of society choose not to support their local football club that is their choice.

For you to bring this to our attention suggests that you seem unduly concerned by the lack of non-white faces around you. Personally, when I attend football matches I am totally focussed on the performance of my team, not the demographic make-up of the crowd.
    I assume like me you are white

Therefore we don't really have any idea of whether Cardiff City is welcoming to non White fans or not

The evidence suggests that people from Cardiffs ethnic minorities do not attend games in large numbers

That choice not to attend may be through feeling uneasy in doing so , not that straightforward

The attitude of ccfc regarding the mural in the bay that it might cause reverse racism would have been laughable if it wasn't a serious statement

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    its clearly not

Cardiff is the most diverse part of Wales, but very far from being one of the most diverse parts of the UK
    For a city of its size , its very diverse

And proportionately , outside of London, Birmingham and Manchester , its very diverse

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Sludge will be along soon to clear this up, when he allegedly met with some Asian lads and they told him why they didnt feel welcome
    No allegedly about it

Its ironic how white people tell us Cardiff City doesn't have a problem with racism

How the feck would you know ?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think the thrust of the opening question was valid and I think that some posters were a tad harsh about the exact wording. All credit to adz for enlightening us regarding his personal and relevant experience regarding this matter and which has crossed my mind previously.
    It's a very valid post and people are very precious about Cardiff City being a club that welcomes everyone and .....we don't have a problem with racism etc etc ....almost always white fans discussing this by the way

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    For a city of its size , its very diverse

And proportionately , outside of London, Birmingham and Manchester , its very diverse
    The UK average is 86% white, Cardiff is 84% it has an average level of diversity.

It isn’t “very diverse” in any stretch of the imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Yeah I think it’s relevant too, particularly as our stadium borders the most ethnically diverse areas of the city in grangetown and riverside, possibly Canton too. The club has never done much to lure the locals in. It would rather run buses from the valleys for some bizarre reason where we already have pretty decent support. Maybe it’s more to do with the cost of tickets? Allied to the fact that the % of the population of the city who actually follow us is shockingly low

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    The UK average is 86% white, Cardiff is 84% it has an average level of diversity.

White British is 80 percent

It's got 16 percent of its population from a non white background

That's very diverse

In fact unlike cities like Birmingham or Bradford whose ethnic minority populations are dominated by one of two racial groups , Cardiff has a mix of ethnic minority population from across the racial and cultural background . In many schools in Cardiff there are dozens and dozens of different languages being spoken .

That's very diverse . In fact the very definition of it .

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post

The suburbs next to the ground are though….

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yeah I think it’s relevant too, particularly as our stadium borders the most ethnically diverse areas of the city in grangetown and riverside, possibly Canton too. The club has never done much to lure the locals in. It would rather run buses from the valleys for some bizarre reason where we already have pretty decent support. Maybe it’s more to do with the cost of tickets? Allied to the fact that the % of the population of the city who actually follow us is shockingly low
    The trust tried

The club wasn't really interested

CCFC has never been any good at this sort of thing

It's not a community club really

This is an important thread.

As someone who comes from a mixed family with both Ugandans and Nigerians in my family, I can only share 'our' experiences. When I used take my son when he was a kid, I was quite consious that often he and my brother in law were two of a minority of black people attending games.

Now my son is in his kid twenties and lives a few doors down from the ground, he goes to games with his mates as I spend most of my time in Uganda and India. He has never experienced any racism at city and attends games regularly.

He plays for a football team in Grangetown which is almost exclusively black or Asian. He often asks his teammates to go along with him but there is still some resistance due to some perceived ideas that they wouldn't be welcome. Also these are working class boys who can't afford tickets. However, they all look out for and support city.

I do think the club could do a better job of engaging with minorities and encouraging them to attend games. My city, my shirt is a wonderful idea and the club scored an on goal with not engaging with that.

Cardiff has growing diversity and on a purely economic basis the club needs to tap into sections of our communities who love football so they feel more welcome at city.

On a positive note the CCFC foundation actually does a tremendous job I'm communities, many black and Asian... But the club needs to do more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    I think when Cardiff City Football Club stated it wasn't supporting this fantastic artwork because it might lead to ....reverse racism ....then I think that sums up the mindset that is prevalent . If the top cheeses at CCFC have this pathetic attitude then its all a waste of time really

I think it's a generational thing. Asians and Afro-Carribean immigrants were met with shocking racism when they decided to settle in the UK in the 50's and 60's. Their children suffered in school and racism was very visible on the streets and also the terraces. Why would they choose to attend football matches and expose themselves to abuse? The next generation came along in the 80's and 90's so why would a parent expose their child to potentially the same abuse they saw or experienced- they just wouldn't. Sky TV and the Premier League appear in the early 90's and instead of attending matches they sit down and decide who to support by watching TV.
    30 years on I think its getting better, but still a way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I think it's a generational thing. Asians and Afro-Carribean immigrants were met with shocking racism when they decided to settle in the UK in the 50's and 60's. Their children suffered in school and racism was very visible on the streets and also the terraces. Why would they choose to attend football matches and expose themselves to abuse? The next generation came along in the 80's and 90's so why would a parent expose their child to potentially the same abuse they saw or experienced- they just wouldn't. Sky TV and the Premier League appear in the early 90's and instead of attending matches they sit down and decide who to support by watching TV.
    30 years on I think its getting better, but still a way to go.
    and we are 30 years on, football has mostly become a pretty sterile event these days, the old days have long gone, them kids of the 90's have children / grand children, yes we still get the odd " unacceptable chant or shout, but isn't that a reflection on every day life ? ? ? football is certainly not the edgey place it used to be

I've been to lots of grounds over the years and wondered why most clubs do not reflect the ethnicity of their surroundings. The only exception I can think of is Arsenal.