+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sorting out the Attic....

Sorting out the Attic....

.....as we are planning to move when house sells (but still in the same area in the Dordogne).

Anyway...have spent today looking through my CCFC old programmes from 1955......sadly I sold 18 years of unbroken home ones from 1960-78 to fund two new wings on my late wife's TR7(!!). However I kept all the away games I attended and also all the European competition ones. Many old CCFC Handbooks (do they still produce those?).

An interesting one came to light given the Sala situation - I came across the programme for the away game to FC Nantes (4 November 1970) , which City won 2-1, to make it aggregate 7-2...

Now, the real purpose of this post is that I also have City Scrapbooks from 1962-63 to 1969-70. Remember lovingly mixing flour and water to make a paste to stick cut out articles and reports!! My son is not really interested despite my best endeavours.....and maybe it is time to get rid of them - but I cannot just throw them in the bin!

I wondered if anyone here (or maybe the club?) would be interested in continuing to preserve them? Not interested in payment (unless a small donation to a charity I support), but request postage paid from France (around £20 I guess).

Anyone interested PM me.

Re: Sorting out the Attic....

Didn't the club recently purchase a whole bunch of memorabilia at auction? It may be worth sending them an email

I have been clearing all my stuff out. It's more recent stuff, mostly last 25 years but I've been ruthless. It's been in the garage for ages. One of the only books I've kept is ToBW's.

All programmes, ticket stubs (stuffed if we need that Hull one again) and my plastic blow up sheep from the Echo for the cup final have gone.

My Ninian Park seats went last year in a clear out. The rest is going this time.

I'm now onto sorting 20 years of DVD's the kids have accumulated. Several big bags of them heading to the tip. I'm not think about how much they all cost but the enjoyment it brought (but all that money FFS )

The late Tony Holloway, who posted here as Cardiff55, always kept an eye on memorabilia auctions in the past and, via the Trust, alerted the club to volumes of programmes that were coming up for auction, probably from Richard Shepherd. Some of the volumes dated back as far as the early 1920's. The Club never expressed any interest in them as they did not regard them as suitable exhibits for the proposed museum and obviously have no budget or interest in re-establishing the vast collection of memorabilia that they had once before but no longer seem to have. Part of that archive was purchased at auction in early 2020 and is waiting to be displayed when the museum gets off the ground.Having said the club would probably not be interested in what's in your attic I'm sure that plenty of collectors of City memorabilia would.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The late Tony Holloway, who posted here as Cardiff55, always kept an eye on memorabilia auctions in the past and, via the Trust, alerted the club to volumes of programmes that were coming up for auction, probably from Richard Shepherd. Some of the volumes dated back as far as the early 1920's. The Club never expressed any interest in them as they did not regard them as suitable exhibits for the proposed museum and obviously have no budget or interest in re-establishing the vast collection of memorabilia that they had once before but no longer seem to have. Part of that archive was purchased at auction in early 2020 and is waiting to be displayed when the museum gets off the ground.Having said the club would probably not be interested in what's in your attic I'm sure that plenty of collectors of City memorabilia would.
    I think that it would be a nice touch to display old scrapbooks and the like. Obviously just one little corner, but plenty of us could relate to that kind of thing, especially us oldies, and it shows a personal touch, it would also be quite a unique thing. Can't see any reason not to have it in the museum, unless Mo Swan's documentation is '****ing lost again-*****' then there should be a place for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I have been clearing all my stuff out. It's more recent stuff, mostly last 25 years but I've been ruthless. It's been in the garage for ages. One of the only books I've kept is ToBW's.

All programmes, ticket stubs (stuffed if we need that Hull one again) and my plastic blow up sheep from the Echo for the cup final have gone.

My Ninian Park seats went last year in a clear out. The rest is going this time.

I'm now onto sorting 20 years of DVD's the kids have accumulated. Several big bags of them heading to the tip. I'm not think about how much they all cost but the enjoyment it brought (but all that money FFS )
    Give them to a local charity shop.

C'mon guys...nobody wants these? or give a contact who might want them....Really would be a waste to bin them.....

I sent you a PM a few days ago regarding these.

I see I have a few PM....I am sure I used to get notified of these.
    Anyway, will get back to those over the weekend - thanks.

Hi there.

I would be interested in these please.

Many thanks

I've contacted those who sent messages - please respond by end of week..