+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brave Lady

Brave Lady

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60749064

Russian state TV's Channel One plays a crucial part in the Kremlin's media messaging. It is Russia's second most popular channel, and its flagship news programme Vremya (Time) is watched by millions.

Normally, there is no room for deviation from the party line.

So when Marina Ovsyannikova ran on to the set behind the news anchor in prime time, brandishing a poster saying "Stop the War!", it was an unprecedented moment of dissent against the Kremlin which reached into living rooms across the country.

Ms Ovsyannikova, who has a Ukrainian father and Russian mother, has been fined 30,000 roubles (£214, $280) for an anti-war video she had also released.

Her protest is extraordinary in more ways than one.

To start with, Channel One viewers are not even used to hearing the word "war" used to describe Russia's invasion of Ukraine. The government has ordered the media to call it a "special military operation" launched to "demilitarise and denazify" Ukraine.

Ms Ovsyannikova's protest also targeted the core President Putin supporters: most Russians still use state TV as their main source of news, rather than from reports in the diminishing number of independent websites or from social media.

Re: Brave Lady

Unbelievably brave. If I were her, I'd get the hell out of Russia while I still could before there were more serious repercussions.

Suprised she was only fined as there has been 14,000 arrests Of these, more than 170 people have been remanded in custody.

The Kremlin passed a law brought into force on March 4 criminalising independent war reporting and protests against the war, with penalties of up to 15 years in prison.

Lovely regime , how weak are the Russian people?

I thought they woudl ahve had enough by now ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Suprised she was only fined as there has been 14,000 arrests Of these, more than 170 people have been remanded in custody.

The Kremlin passed a law brought into force on March 4 criminalising independent war reporting and protests against the war, with penalties of up to 15 years in prison.

Text in bold was copied and pasted from Al Jazeera.

I woulnd't say they are weak, but under the control of a ruthless man who has systematically crushed any form of dissent or opposition, and basically controls what the media say

A woman who interrupted a live news programme on Russian state TV last night to protest against the war in Ukraine says she is “extremely concerned” for her safety.

Marina Ovsyannikova was fined 30,000 roubles (£215) for violating protest laws hours after she broke onto a live news broadcast on Channel One in a demonstration against Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

In an interview with Reuters, Ovsyannikova said she had no plans to flee Russia and that she hoped she would not face criminal charges.

She told Reuters:

I believe in what I did but I now understand the scale of the problems that I’ll have to deal with, and, of course, I’m extremely concerned for my safety.

I absolutely don’t feel like a hero... You know, I really want to feel that this sacrifice was not in vain, and that people will open their eyes.

Ovsyannikova said she wanted not only to protest against the war in Ukraine but also to send a message to Russians directly.

Don’t be such zombies; don’t listen to this propaganda; learn how to analyse information; learn how to find other sources of information - not just Russian state television.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...yiv-visit-live

I’m not sure we in the UK are in any position to judge other countries about not standing up to their government. We’ve been bent over and ****ed for years

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I’m not sure we in the UK are in any position to judge other countries about not standing up to their government. We’ve been bent over and ****ed for years

https://twitter.com/backtolife_2022/...400904200?s=21

what's that tweet supposed to mean?

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    This is utter rubbish. Our Government is democratically elected and elections held every four/five years. To even compare this to what goes on in Russia is an insult to the thousands of people that have died at the hands of Putin and other similar despot rulers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    what's that tweet supposed to mean?
    Russia trying to make out it didn’t happen is my guess

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    This is utter rubbish. Our Government is democratically elected and elections held every four/five years. To even compare this to what goes on in Russia is an insult to the thousands of people that have died at the hands of Putin and other similar despot rulers.

For balance Ukraine’s current government wasn’t democratically elected either

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    For balance Ukraine’s current government wasn’t democratically elected either
    Explain.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Explain.
    I thought they had a election in 2019 , infact a quick google say they did, 21 July 2019, a fair few MP's from different parties aswell

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I thought they had a election in 2019 , infact a quick google say they did, 21 July 2019, a fair few MP's from different parties aswell

2012 election

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20120888

https://www.ukrweekly.com/uwwp/wp-co...eview/2012.pdf

That is not Ukraine's current government.

You think that bloke is Ukraine's president? Where do you get your news?

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order...tial-election/

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You think that bloke is Ukraine's president? Where do you get your news?

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order...tial-election/

In 2014 there was a democratically elected leader who was pro Russian who was then ousted in an uprising which was driven by the west via social media and backed by neo - nazi Ukrainian groups. It’s a long and complicated history between the two nations , who were the same country 33 years ago.

Have a look a Oliver Stones documentary which was produced in 2016

What do you think we were doing in Afghanistan, Iraq ,and Syria for balance ?

There is a wealth if information out there if you’re prepared to look.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    He's not directly comparing our Government with the worst of what Russia does and he's not insulting anyone who's suffered at their hands. I think his point is that it's a bit rich to judge people for not protesting when they could get imprisoned for 10 years or worse, when we allow our Government to screw us over consistently without a peep, and we don't have those fears over us (although they're actually trying to clamp down on our rights to protest via the police, crime, sentencing and courts bill)

The Maidan revolution ( 2013 - 14 ) took place between 2012 and now, 2014 they had a election ( after the maidan revolution ) then then again in 5 years ( 2019 )

things have changed massively since 2012

In 2014 there was a democratically elected leader who was pro Russian who was then ousted in an uprising which was driven by the west via social media and backed by neo - nazi Ukrainian groups. It’s a long and complicated history between the two nations , who were the same country 33 years ago.

pretty sure a few lay-about students were the first to protest at Maidan square in November 2013, the rest ( inc Neo - nazi groups ) got involved when the Berkut decided to storm the protest and smash some heads in

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    pretty sure a few lay-about students were the first to protest at Maidan square in November 2013, the rest ( inc Neo - nazi groups ) got involved when the Berkut decided to storm the protest and smash some heads in
    What about the treatment of ethnic Russians in Eastern Ukraine?

I’m sure there is good and bad on both sides and what’s been happening since 2014 is appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    He's not directly comparing our Government with the worst of what Russia does and he's not insulting anyone who's suffered at their hands. I think his point is that it's a bit rich to judge people for not protesting when they could get imprisoned for 10 years or worse, when we allow our Government to screw us over consistently without a peep, and we don't have those fears over us (although they're actually trying to clamp down on our rights to protest via the police, crime, sentencing and courts bill)
    No they aren't. There are no restrictions on the right to protest within it.

There are consequences if you endlessly harass with noise, or block roads etc.

You are right that it is unfair to be overly critical of people's lack of protests in a country with severe penalties for it though.

This stuff is important. I am concerned about quite how rabidly pro-Ukrainian people are being, in a nation state sense. The support and sympathy absolutely belongs to the people, and I am 100% on Ukraines side, but there is a degree of naivity about it all.

Whilst Russia unequivocally is in the wrong, not everyone fighting the Russian invasion shares our values. And that is a lesson from history that we shouldn't forget.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    No they aren't. There are no restrictions on the right to protest within it.

There are consequences if you endlessly harass with noise, or block roads etc.

You are right that it is unfair to be overly critical of people's lack of protests in a country with severe penalties for it though.
    Yes they are. It states in the government's own factsheet:

Provisions in the Bill will:

• Widen the range of conditions that the police can impose on static protests to match existing police powers to impose conditions on marches.

• Broaden the range of circumstances in which police may impose conditions on a protest.

It goes on to say:

"the police will only be able to impose conditions on unjustifiably noisy protests that cause harm to others or prevent an organisation from operating.

The threshold for being able to impose conditions on noisy protests will be appropriately high. Police will only use it in cases where it is deemed necessary and proportionate.

For an upcoming protest, the Chief Constable of the relevant force will be responsible for making the decision of whether the threshold is likely to be met. For a protest already taking place, the most senior officer at the scene will decide if the threshold is likely to be met. Depending on the circumstances, the senior officer would typically be an Inspector, Chief Inspector, or Superintendent."

So they are broadening the range of conditions that police can impose and broadening the range of circumstances in which they can impose them. Sounds a lot like 'restriction' to me

"impose conditions on" is their way of saying prevent the protest from taking place, start arresting people etc. and when the protest reaches that point will be decided by the police officer in charge on the day. That decision will be made based on a list of unquantifiable, vague criteria, allowing the police officer to make an arbitrary decision.

They are also making trespass a criminal offence, rather than a civil offence, which I imagine, will massively restrict people's ability to occupy buildings for example, without facing serious criminal charges. This also has serious implications for the traveller community.