+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wales squad

Wales squad

Vaulks is back in. Colwill and Harris both there too. https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...luded-23402272

Re: Wales squad

How the heck is Chris Gunter still getting in these squads?

Midfield looks kinda weak also

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Vaulks is back in. Colwill and Harris both there too. https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...luded-23402272
    If anyone has a spare ticket for the game against Austria my car-sharing Bluebird supporter and season ticket holder would be grateful for it - and it would help me enormously as I would get him to drive. I need to lead a group walk just in SW Cornwall just 12 hours after the game finishes and I will be starting the journey from Taunton to south of Newquay as soon as I get back from Cardiff. Otherwise, I'll be driving from Cardiff to Newquay overnight myself

Shame there's no room for Isaak Davies. I'd have had him instead of Jonny Williams.

No Danny Ward. Had a knee op

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Shame there's no room for Isaak Davies. I'd have had him instead of Jonny Williams.
    I thought the same. Strange one that.

Better for Cardiff as Isaak would be fresh for the run in.

He'll get his chance with Wales soon enough and fitness permitting get plenty of caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    If anyone has a spare ticket for the game against Austria my car-sharing Bluebird supporter and season ticket holder would be grateful for it - and it would help me enormously as I would get him to drive. I need to lead a group walk just in SW Cornwall just 12 hours after the game finishes and I will be starting the journey from Taunton to south of Newquay as soon as I get back from Cardiff. Otherwise, I'll be driving from Cardiff to Newquay overnight myself
    Why don't you give your ticket to somebody else and drive straight to Cornwall, it would be a lot less complicated

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    No Danny Ward. Had a knee op
    That’s a blow, we certainly don’t want anything to happen to Hennessy now. It’ll be interesting to see if Matondo gets a chance because about this time last year there seemed very little chance of him making the Welsh squad again anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I thought the same. Strange one that.

Better for Cardiff as Isaak would be fresh for the run in.

He'll get his chance with Wales soon enough and fitness permitting get plenty of caps.
    I thought the opposite and thought he'd have been bouncing after time with the Welsh squad, getting him ready to smash the Jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    How the heck is Chris Gunter still getting in these squads?

Midfield looks kinda weak also
    How is Jonny Williams getting in these squads? Jordan James has been playing regularly for Birmingham and there are a number of Welsh midfielders in League 1 yet Jonny gets in there every time. Surely Tom Lawrence should be there as well?

Surely Tom Lockyer should be in there? He's been playing regularly for Luton whereas Mepham hasn't been in the picture for Bournemouth as far as I know. Cabango's been getting shit off Swansea fans as well

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That’s a blow, we certainly don’t want anything to happen to Hennessy now. It’ll be interesting to see if Matondo gets a chance because about this time last year there seemed very little chance of him making the Welsh squad again anytime soon.
    I saw highlights from a game in Belgium where he looked completely unplayable recently, but we have a fair bit of depth in the winger / attacking midfielder / second striker role with:

Bale, James, Wilson, Johnson, Thomas possibly all head of him

Isn't Joe Morrell suspended for the Austria game anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Isn't Joe Morrell suspended for the Austria game anyway?
    No, they changed the rules on that I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I thought the opposite and thought he'd have been bouncing after time with the Welsh squad, getting him ready to smash the Jacks.
    Yes there is that.

Maybe Page thinks it's all a bit too much for him at the moment, breaking into the Cardiff first team with rave reviews.

I look at Marcus Rashford now compared to when he burst on the scene.
    He looks a shadow of that former self and confidence non-existent.
    Too much in too short a space of time?

Sometimes better taking it slowly.

How is Jonny Williams getting in these squads? Jordan James has been playing regularly for Birmingham and there are a number of Welsh midfielders in League 1 yet Jonny gets in there every time. Surely Tom Lawrence should be there as well?

Surely Tom Lockyer should be in there? He's been playing regularly for Luton whereas Mepham hasn't been in the picture for Bournemouth as far as I know. Cabango's been getting shit off Swansea fans as well
    Totally agree about Williams, and Tom Lawrence can count himself extremely unlucky not to be involved

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Totally agree about Williams, and Tom Lawrence can count himself extremely unlucky not to be involved
    I like Williams, but him, Gunter and one or two others should not be getting anywhere near a team that wants to qualify for a world cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I like Williams, but him, Gunter and one or two others should not be getting anywhere near a team that wants to qualify for a world cup.
    Gunter's a safe pair of hands to see a game out, Williams has been stealing caps for a long time

Williams has been stealing caps for a long time
    Trying to keep his head warm I expect.

Trying to keep his head warm I expect.

Gunter's a safe pair of hands to see a game out, Williams has been stealing caps for a long time
    I remember when he came on against Estonia - he gave the ball away 4 times within the first 2 minutes of him being on the pitch

A few words about Will Vaulks, I’ve been as critical of him as anyone over the first half of the season, but he’s upped his game in the last six weeks or so and I’d say he’s in the squad on merit now. It’s strange, because all three of his seasons with City have gone the same way as a slow and poor start is followed up by an improvement which sees him in his best form of the season around February/March time.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A few words about Will Vaulks, I’ve been as critical of him as anyone over the first half of the season, but he’s upped his game in the last six weeks or so and I’d say he’s in the squad on merit now. It’s strange, because all three of his seasons with City have gone the same way as a slow and poor start is followed up by an improvement which sees him in his best form of the season around February/March time.
    we should expect the 30 yard screamers to start going in any day now then, maybe he just doesn't like the cold

Favouritism.

The spine of this squad (goalkeeper, central defence, central midfield, and striker) is pretty weak. Let's hope that home advantage makes a difference.

I really like the look of this squad, so much pace. Admittedly another top quality central midfielder would strengthen us, but that has been the case for a long time.

I'm no expert on the current form of players like Cabango, Mepham & Lockyer, but perhaps a justification for Lockyer's exclusion is him being slightly older and probably at a point where he has reached his peak as a mid-table Championship-level player. I'd argue that Meps and especially Cabango are still developing and have the potential to improve and maybe even play in the top-flight? The coaches must see them both as being part of the plan in the long-term. I was surprised when I checked that Meps only turned 24 in November, he seems to have been around for ages.