+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wales squad

Re: Wales squad

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Holt View Post
    I really like the look of this squad, so much pace. Admittedly another top quality central midfielder would strengthen us, but that has been the case for a long time.

I'm no expert on the current form of players like Cabango, Mepham & Lockyer, but perhaps a justification for Lockyer's exclusion is him being slightly older and probably at a point where he has reached his peak as a mid-table Championship-level player. I'd argue that Meps and especially Cabango are still developing and have the potential to improve and maybe even play in the top-flight? The coaches must see them both as being part of the plan in the long-term. I was surprised when I checked that Meps only turned 24 in November, he seems to have been around for ages.
    We need to beat Austria next week, not in 5 years.

Maybe Williams is seen as being reliable and experienced. He's not going to be starting. And isn't going to be brought on to change the game. But I'd still have Davies ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Page is a creature of habit, and any half decent manager would know what to expect from a Welsh team.

Appearances this season (all comps):

Mepham: 21
    Lockyer: 26

Number of Wales caps:

Mepham: 26
    Lockyer: 14

Mepham is younger, yet more experienced at international level, and has only played 5 games fewer than Lockyer this season. I'd be willing to bet that Mepham has played in more 'high stakes' games for us too. He's also better than Lockyer, isn't he?

Do you think Lockyer should be in ahead of Cabango?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Holt View Post
    Appearances this season (all comps):

Mepham: 21
    Lockyer: 26

Number of Wales caps:

Mepham: 26
    Lockyer: 14

Mepham is younger, yet more experienced at international level, and has only played 5 games fewer than Lockyer this season. I'd be willing to bet that Mepham has played in more 'high stakes' games for us too. He's also better than Lockyer, isn't he?

Do you think Lockyer should be in ahead of Cabango?
    I don't think Lockyer should be in ahead of Mepham, I think he should be in ahead of Cabango. Lockyer has performed better this season and has actually played competitive football for Wales, I think Cabango's competitive gametime amounts to about 3 minutes against Finland, Lockyer played in crucial qualifiers out in Slovakia & Azerbaijan and played in those key fixtures against Croatia & Hungary. I really like Mepham and think he's unfairly maligned by a lot of Welsh fans who adore Joe Rodon (who I think is somewhat overrated) so I've no issue with him being in the squad aside from him maybe being a little undercooked, he's not been in Bournemouth's squad recently and has hardly played since November

We don't even have to pick Lockyer ahead of anyone anyway, these extended squads can be as big as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Maybe Williams is seen as being reliable and experienced. He's not going to be starting. And isn't going to be brought on to change the game. But I'd still have Davies ahead of him.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that, Page did exactly that when we were drawing at home to Estonia

I find it odd that Neil Taylor had been overlooked. He's playing well at Middlesborough

Joe Allen was crap for Stoke yesterday evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    How the heck is Chris Gunter still getting in these squads?

Midfield looks kinda weak also
    Gunter’s not going to play. He’s there cos he’s a good lad. We’ve picked 26 players, I doubt he will make a squad. Lockyer is very odd, we’ve only got 5 players than can play at centre back. I think Morrell is still suspended for Austria, too. The yellows have been wiped but I’m not sure if the existing suspensions have.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Gunter’s not going to play. He’s there cos he’s a good lad. We’ve picked 26 players, I doubt he will make a squad. Lockyer is very odd, we’ve only got 5 players than can play at centre back. I think Morrell is still suspended for Austria, too. The yellows have been wiped but I’m not sure if the existing suspensions have.
    https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/...n-wales-squad/

Morrell is suspended for the Austria game according to the Portsmouth website.

Odd that James Chester has also been ignored for so long. Three players in Chester, Taylor and Lawrence all playing regularly at Championship level consistently ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Odd that James Chester has also been ignored for so long. Three players in Chester, Taylor and Lawrence all playing regularly at Championship level consistently ignored.
    If the Stoke fans are to be believed Chester has been playing himself out of consideration.

Taylor and Lawrence though have been putting in impressive performances.

The thing I wonder with Davies not being picked is that Colwill was whisked off to the Euros without having made many appearances for us, yet surely Davies has made more at this stage?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    The thing I wonder with Davies not being picked is that Colwill was whisked off to the Euros without having made many appearances for us, yet surely Davies has made more at this stage?
    It's probably more to do with what else we have in the squad - Davies is coming along nicely, but is clearly behind Dan James and Brennan Johnson, possibly even Rabbi Matondo in terms of being a pacy attacker

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It's probably more to do with what else we have in the squad - Davies is coming along nicely, but is clearly behind Dan James and Brennan Johnson, possibly even Rabbi Matondo in terms of being a pacy attacker
    Also maybe don't want to bring in too many new faces for such a crucial game

Also maybe don't want to bring in too many new faces for such a crucial game
    thats true

Ampadu starting in a 2-man midfield vs Sampdoria (4-2-3-1)

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Ampadu starting in a 2-man midfield vs Sampdoria (4-2-3-1)
    Well, a five man midfield maybe - fair play, you’ve remained very loyal to Ampadu. If I had to guess, I think he’ll spend his career as a Premier League quality player, which will be good for Wales, but it’s going to be viewed as a disappointment bearing in mind all of the hype around five years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Well, a five man midfield maybe - fair play, you’ve remained very loyal to Ampadu. If I had to guess, I think he’ll spend his career as a Premier League quality player, which will be good for Wales, but it’s going to be viewed as a disappointment bearing in mind all of the hype around five years ago.
    I only mentioned it because we are short of a midfielder for the Austria game.

Did everyone come through unscathed yesterday? Ramsey's playing now and Bale (if picked) later.

I only mentioned it because we are short of a midfielder for the Austria game.
    I’d play Ampadu in midfield on Thursday, but I think he’ll be part of a back three with Rodon and Davies - think we’ll see Allen and Morrell together in what will be quite a cautious selection, but that’s me, as usual, getting more pessimistic as the kick off of a big match gets closer - Page’s recent selections have been pretty positive, so he may opt for more of the same.

I’d play Ampadu in midfield on Thursday, but I think he’ll be part of a back three with Rodon and Davies - think we’ll see Allen and Morrell together in what will be quite a cautious selection, but that’s me, as usual, getting more pessimistic as the kick off of a big match gets closer - Page’s recent selections have been pretty positive, so he may opt for more of the same.
    I thought Morrell was out?

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/...n-wales-squad/

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Did everyone come through unscathed yesterday? Ramsey's playing now and Bale (if picked) later.
    Not seen or head anything to indicate any injury problems.

I thought Morrell was out?
    Think they’ve changed the rules and he’s no longer suspended.

Not seen or head anything to indicate any injury problems.
    From Pompey website on 16 March:

Joe Morrell has been called up by Wales for the latest round of international fixtures.

The Pompey midfielder is suspended for their World Cup play-off semi-final against Austria on Thursday, March 24.

He will, however, be available for a friendly match the following Tuesday, with the opponents yet to be confirmed.