+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Re: Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

I think she's a very attractive woman

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    + they tweet about "anti woke" "anti PC" etc

Locked up for 6 years and comes back and says she should have been helped 6 years ago and they're trending sendherback because she's "ungrateful"

Imagine being one of these arseholes, it must be absolutely miserable, constantly outraged
    So many ex army types seem to be complete daft racists

There is no need for abuse but I dont think she came across well tbh. In such s circumstance you would expect everyone to come away entirely sympathetically. That wasn't the case here.

I can well believe she feels that other foreign secretaries could have got her out sooner (no doubt there are reasons good or otherwise) but it strikes me that the current one and her staff have achieved it and that deserves credit.

As an aside, note how divisive Twitter subtly works; criticism of her is framed as criticism of someone who 'is a person of colour' etc. I.e a not very subtle dog whistle than anyone criticising her is a racist.

The same rules never apply to Priti Patel et Al of course. That's all legitimate

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    There is no need for abuse but I dont think she came across well tbh. In such s circumstance you would expect everyone to come away entirely sympathetically. That wasn't the case here.

I can well believe she feels that other foreign secretaries could have got her out sooner (no doubt there are reasons good or otherwise) but it strikes me that the current one and her staff have achieved it and that deserves credit.

As an aside, note how divisive Twitter subtly works; criticism of her is framed as criticism of someone who 'is a person of colour' etc. I.e a not very subtle dog whistle than anyone criticising her is a racist.

The same rules never apply to Priti Patel et Al of course. That's all legitimate
    When someone tweets .....send her back ..I dont think its a shot in the dark to think they are racist

When something like this happens the knuckle draggers soon come out

The debt with Iran should have been settled long and that would surely have paved the way for her to be released sooner. Of course Johnson didn't help when he effectively, through his remarks, gave Iran the opportunity to extend the sentences of those detained. She didn't come out of it that well in her remarks yesterday but who can blame her after spending 6 years in custody. However, I think NZR's remarks were probably made with caution as her parents are in Iran and, if she criticised the Iran regime too harshly, her parents might be punished. Far easier therefore for her to criticise the UK government which of course was fully justified and be less critical of the regime in Iran.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    When someone tweets .....send her back ..I dont think its a shot in the dark to think they are racist

There is zero justification for anyone saying that. The point is, people are allowed to criticise her press conference. I heard only select journalists were invited as an aside..)

Like I said, I don't think she came across well and I do think she should have thanked the current home secretary. Criticising the others for not getting you out sounds fair enough, but by definition that means you welcome the one who did (and the thousands of staff hours that went into it)

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The debt with Iran should have been settled long and that would surely have paved the way for her to be released sooner. Of course Johnson didn't help when he effectively, through his remarks, gave Iran the opportunity to extend the sentences of those detained. She didn't come out of it that well in her remarks yesterday but who can blame her after spending 6 years in custody. However, I think NZR's remarks were probably made with caution as her parents are in Iran and, if she criticised the Iran regime too harshly, her parents might be punished. Far easier therefore for her to criticise the UK government which of course was fully justified and be less critical of the regime in Iran.
    Sounds like a good analysis..

To some on twitter, Iran somehow comes out looking like an honourable victim

She'll be gutted to read that.

I feel her ethnicity has a great deal to do with the send her back reaction. She was superb in the press conference in the circumstances.
    Last edited by Dave Blue; 22-03-22 at 12:45. Reason: Mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Just what I was going to say, she may decide to hold another press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I accept that it's well known that she only posts on Annnis Abraham's board but that shouldn't stop us debating the matter

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Spot on Sludge.

https://twitter.com/mralistairgreen/...4coZA7m2TsjvkA

If anybody's not familiar with Alistair Green I heartily recommend you make yourselves familiar, his characterisation of certain types of people is absolutely wonderful

I listened to the tank debt podcast on radio 4. It was a complex tale with the original debt, sanctions, banking issues, Iranians arrested in the uk, inertia, ties to the US, politics etc. I understand social media has been unkind in places to Nazanin’s press conference. For me, having heard the podcast background, I thought she was very impressive yesterday and most people’s comments are seemingly based on lack of knowledge. For example, it was a debt, not a ransom.

In before TOBW:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...age-speaks-out

Health warning: read with care. Known to induce major spluttering in JamesWales.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    In before TOBW:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...age-speaks-out

Health warning: read with care. Known to induce major spluttering in JamesWales.
    Marina Hyde there reiterating the views that every single one of her readers already had before they started reading it. Sterling journalism as ever 😂.

It's pretty clear the press conference wasn't as great a success as it may have been, or else we wouldn't be talking about.

Criticising previous foreign secretaries fine, but by definition you should then thank the one (and her staff) who did succeed in getting you out. That's logical isn't it?

Marina Hyde there reiterating the views that every single one of her readers already had before they started reading it. Sterling journalism as ever 😂.

It's pretty clear the press conference wasn't as great a success as it may have been, or else we wouldn't be talking about.

Criticising previous foreign secretaries fine, but by definition you should then thank the one (and her staff) who did succeed in getting you out. That's logical isn't it?
    Do you think the success of press conferences is judged by the least number of people talking about them?

Presumably there is a balancing article out there that contradicts Hyde's take to which you better subscribe. After all you did imply that people being critical of Priti Patel may be as dog whistle racist as the trolls going after Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe so some other outlet must be thinking along those lines as well?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Do you think the success of press conferences is judged by the least number of people talking about them?

Presumably there is a balancing article out there that contradicts Hyde's take to which you better subscribe. After all you did imply that people being critical of Priti Patel may be as dog whistle racist as the trolls going after Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe so some other outlet must be thinking along those lines as well?
    No, I don't think the overwhelming majority of people criticising Priti Patel do so because they are racist - I'm sure some do because she is a Hindu but I doubt many.

Likewise I think people can crititise that press conference and not do it because the lady in question was born in Iran. In the vast majority of cases that's what's happened I should imagine.

I like this article. You read the tone on much of left wing twitter and it is as if the UK incarcerated her.

I would be interested to know why we didn't pay this debt before mind. I've heard a few theories

I’m no fan of Jeremy Hunt, but fair play to him here. As for some of the replies, seems some people are doing their best to prove Marina Hyde right.

https://twitter.com/jeremy_hunt/stat...231952897?s=21

No, I don't think the overwhelming majority of people criticising Priti Patel do so because they are racist - I'm sure some do because she is a Hindu but I doubt many.

Likewise I think people can crititise that press conference and not do it because the lady in question was born in Iran. In the vast majority of cases that's what's happened I should imagine.

I like this article. You read the tone on much of left wing twitter and it is as if the UK incarcerated her.

I would be interested to know why we didn't pay this debt before mind. I've heard a few theories
    So if I understand you correctly, an article that you thought was "Reiterating the views that every single one of her readers already had before they started reading it. Sterling journalism as ever", you actually liked. But there is some left wing stuff on Twitter that is really out there?

Totally agree with Jeremy Hunt , however let's not forget her captors are the real enemy .

Let's hope other dual UK /Uranium passport holders in health, charity , media jobs , with family in Iran just stay away , however painful that is , as the risk of imprisonment is high in such an awful country .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Totally agree with Jeremy Hunt , however let's not forget her captors are the real enemy .

Let's hope other dual UK /Uranium passport holders in health, charity , media jobs , with family in Iran just stay away , however painful that is , as the risk of imprisonment is high in such an awful country .
    Jeez. I thought Brexit was bad but anyone with a new Blue passport needs to heed this warning!

If you say you are British these days .....they throw you in jail

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    So if I understand you correctly, an article that you thought was "Reiterating the views that every single one of her readers already had before they started reading it. Sterling journalism as ever", you actually liked. But there is some left wing stuff on Twitter that is really out there?
    Ah no sorry, I didn't actually post the link to the article that I favour!
    https://www.spiked-online.com/2022/0...iffes-torment/

That said, I have always enjoyed Marina Hyde's writing style. I just don't take what she says seriously and never find it that illuminating or particularly close to the truth. It's usually just meeting a demand for anti government sentiment so I don't take it that seriously. (Criticism of the govt in more neutral newspapers I take more interest in)

Ah no sorry, I didn't actually post the link to the article that I favour!
    https://www.spiked-online.com/2022/0...iffes-torment/

That said, I have always enjoyed Marina Hyde's writing style. I just don't take what she says seriously and never find it that illuminating or particularly close to the truth. It's usually just meeting a demand for anti government sentiment so I don't take it that seriously. (Criticism of the govt in more neutral newspapers I take more interest in)
    I just read the article and it's straight out of a 6th Form College A' level politics student's end-of-term essay. D+ (must try harder and don't use the bleeding obvious as a way of trying to construct an alternative viewpoint i.e. Iran started this whole debacle first).