+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBC Wales Building Central Square

BBC Wales Building Central Square

This is another thing , why do they have to shove that thing right in everyone's faces ?

I thought Llandaff was fine , tucked out of the way out there ?

Everytime I see that all I can think of is Derek Brockway , the daft rugby adverts and crappy second rate regional comedy and drama

Re: BBC Wales Building Central Square

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    This is another thing , why do they have to shove that thing right in everyone's faces ?

I thought Llandaff was fine , tucked out of the way out there ?

Everytime I see that all I can think of is Derek Brockway , the daft rugby adverts and crappy second rate regional comedy and drama
    My son works there.

I suspect they moved it so visitors from London can get off the train and into the BBC building and not have to mingle with us... In and out.

I thought it was fine in Llandaff

They should have built it on stilts and put the bus station underneath

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    They should have built it on stilts and put the bus station underneath
    That's what they are doing with the building almost next door.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    My son works there.

I suspect they moved it so visitors from London can get off the train and into the BBC building and not have to mingle with us... In and out.

The building in Llandaff was spread over two sites, one each side of the road and was getting on for 60 years old. It was unsuitable for modern broadcasting and it was simpler to build a new building than try to modernise the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    The building in Llandaff was spread over two sites, one each side of the road and was getting on for 60 years old. It was unsuitable for modern broadcasting and it was simpler to build a new building than try to modernise the old one.
    It's got that corporate , professional look which is everything bbc Wales are not

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

If the BBC was self funded this is not likely to have have happened

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Are BBC Wales saying they couldn't make ....in their view top class TV ......if they hadn't moved from Llandaff?

It's strange that the new BBC Wales building has car parking facilities, unlike pretty much every other new development in the city centre.

Are BBC Wales saying they couldn't make ....in their view top class TV ......if they hadn't moved from Llandaff?
    With all the new houses being built further up Llantrisant Road, the chances of Derek getting to work on time to tell us about his Pembrokeshire dangler, would be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    didn't itv move their Cardiff operation not that long ago as well?

What's the latest with the new bus station? I'm completely out of touch with those sort of things now I'm a valleyite.

The new BBC Wales building cost about £100m - £120m. The new Eastenders set alone cost £87m. I know which I think is better value.

The new bus station Bob is bring built as part of another building nearer Cardiff Central (just to the right i think). It will have 14 bays.

I love the building. It's great that Cardiff is finally having a streetscape outside the main station befitting a capital city.

Shame the city centre is dead and the trains are half empty, but at least it looks better!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The new BBC Wales building cost about £100m - £120m. The new Eastenders set alone cost £87m. I know which I think is better value.

The new bus station Bob is bring built as part of another building nearer Cardiff Central (just to the right i think). It will have 14 bays.
    Thanks, so we must be looking at around ten years without a proper bus station by the time the new one is finished mustn't we? I've been out of Cardiff for four years now and it seemed like as long again without a bus station while I still lived there.

International

The main point about the new building is that it was built without asking the people who have to work there what they actually needed

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks, so we must be looking at around ten years without a proper bus station by the time the new one is finished mustn't we? I've been out of Cardiff for four years now and it seemed like as long again without a bus station while I still lived there.
    Here you go- long gone are the days of sitting in a long dark bus stop with a puddle of piss every few yards.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...tures-22320270

Here you go- long gone are the days of sitting in a long dark bus stop with a puddle of piss every few yards.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...tures-22320270
    the old bus station was horrible wasn't it

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I love the building. It's great that Cardiff is finally having a streetscape outside the main station befitting a capital city.

Shame the city centre is dead and the trains are half empty, but at least it looks better!
    It shrieks of look at us , we are Europe's youngest , fastest growing capital or whatever it is

Nobody is really interested except the Taffia and Cardiff City Council

London bbc staff always hated coming by train then getting to llandaff also….they like convenience I guess. Easy for commuting now but nowhere to park really. Wandered down that street last week for the first time in years, you think you are in a different city to be honest it looks so different now….

It shrieks of look at us , we are Europe's youngest , fastest growing capital or whatever it is

Your starting to sound like a Jack

Stop being reasonable, Sludge just wants to complain about Cardiff progressing beyond what it was like in the 1980s and the dreaded "Taffia", not have a reasonable discussion!

You're absolutely right though and I think it's a good addition to the city centre

Yeah, don't get me wrong. Cardiff's obsession with being 'world class' is cringe, but, first impressions matter and the first impression of Cardiff is now vastly better.

Helps that the BBC Llandaff site is large and in a very desirable neighbourhood too.

It's all good though.

With all the new houses being built further up Llantrisant Road, the chances of Derek getting to work on time to tell us about his Pembrokeshire dangler, would be difficult.
    You know a relative of Derek posts on here regularly......

Just one of the really interesting facts that a proper FH detective unearths (shameless plug here)

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    My son works there.

That’s one of the main reasons why they moved to the City Centre. Struggled to get visitors/guests into the city, then out to Llandaf.

The old building was literally falling apart in places.