+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hundreds of civil servants at the DVLA have done no work on full pay

Re: Hundreds of civil servants at the DVLA have done no work on full pay

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    How the HGV driver shortage is affected other countries
    Poland

The scale of the shortage in Poland is believed to be 124,000, according to data from 2020 compiled by Transport Intelligence.

Germany

Germany was missing between 45,000 and 60,000 HGV drivers last year. It has been predicted that could rise to 185,000 by 2027.

France

France has been facing a shortage of around 43,000 drivers since 2019, Transport Intelligence says.

Italy

There is an estimated shortfall of around 15,000 drivers in Italy, since 2019.

Spain

In Spain the estimate is 15,340, figures from 2020 show.

Scandinavia

Sweden is facing a 5,000 shortfall, Norway 3,000 and Denmark 2,500 – although data has not been reported since 2017 in those countries.
    Another copy and paste job by LoM. https://inews.co.uk/news/hgv-driver-...the-uk-1231010

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

What’s wrong with copy and pasting information?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Note
    If you have questions after consulting this guide about how to cite, please contact your advisor/professor or the writing and communication center.

Why citing is important
    It's important to cite sources you used in your research for several reasons:

To show your reader you've done proper research by listing sources you used to get your information
    To be a responsible scholar by giving credit to other researchers and acknowledging their ideas
    To avoid plagiarism by quoting words and ideas used by other authors
    To allow your reader to track down the sources you used by citing them accurately in your paper by way of footnotes, a bibliography or reference list
    About citations
    Citing a source means that you show, within the body of your text, that you took words, ideas, figures, images, etc. from another place.

Citations are a short way to uniquely identify a published work (e.g. book, article, chapter, web site). They are found in bibliographies and reference lists and are also collected in article and book databases.

Citations consist of standard elements, and contain all the information necessary to identify and track down publications, including:

author name(s)
    titles of books, articles, and journals
    date of publication
    page numbers
    volume and issue numbers (for articles)
    Citations may look different, depending on what is being cited and which style was used to create them. Choose an appropriate style guide for your needs. Here is an example of an article citation using four different citation styles. Notice the common elements as mentioned above:

Author - R. Langer

Article Title - New Methods of Drug Delivery

Source Title - Science

Volume and issue - Vol 249, issue 4976

Publication Date - 1990

Page numbers - 1527-1533

American Chemical Society (ACS) style:

Langer, R. New Methods of Drug Delivery. Science 1990, 249, 1527-1533.

IEEE Style:

R. Langer, "New Methods of Drug Delivery," Science, vol. 249, pp. 1527-1533, SEP 28, 1990.

American Psychological Association (APA) style:

Langer, R. (1990). New methods of drug delivery. Science, 249(4976), 1527-1533.

Modern Language Association (MLA) style:

Langer, R. "New Methods of Drug Delivery." Science 249.4976 (1990): 1527-33.

What to cite
    You must cite:

Facts, figures, ideas, or other information that is not common knowledge
    Ideas, words, theories, or exact language that another person used in other publications
    Publications that must be cited include: books, book chapters, articles, web pages, theses, etc.

Another person's exact words should be quoted and cited to show proper credit

When in doubt, be safe and cite your source!

Avoiding plagiarism
    Plagiarism occurs when you borrow another's words (or ideas) and do not acknowledge that you have done so. In this culture, we consider our words and ideas intellectual property; like a car or any other possession, we believe our words belong to us and cannot be used without our permission.

Plagiarism is a very serious offense. If it is found that you have plagiarized -- deliberately or inadvertently -- you may face serious consequences. In some instances, plagiarism has meant that students have had to leave the institutions where they were studying.

The best way to avoid plagiarism is to cite your sources - both within the body of your paper and in a bibliography of sources you used at the end of your paper.

Some useful links about plagiarism:

MIT Academic Integrity
    Overview on citing sources and avoiding plagiarism at MIT.
    Avoiding Plagiarism
    From the MIT Writing and Communication Center.
    Plagiarism: What It is and How to Recognize and Avoid It
    From Indiana University's Writing Tutorial Services.
    Plagiarism- Overview
    A resource from Purdue University.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Note
    If you have questions after consulting this guide about how to cite, please contact your advisor/professor or the writing and communication center.

Why citing is important

To show your reader you've done proper research by listing sources you used to get your information
    To be a responsible scholar by giving credit to other researchers and acknowledging their ideas
    To allow your reader to track down the sources you used by citing them accurately in your paper by way of footnotes, a bibliography or reference list
    About citations
    Citing a source means that you show, within the body of your text, that you took words, ideas, figures, images, etc. from another place.

Citations are a short way to uniquely identify a published work (e.g. book, article, chapter, web site). They are found in bibliographies and reference lists and are also collected in article and book databases.

Citations consist of standard elements, and contain all the information necessary to identify and track down publications, including:

author name(s)
    date of publication
    page numbers
    Citations may look different, depending on what is being cited and which style was used to create them. Choose an appropriate style guide for your needs. Here is an example of an article citation using four different citation styles. Notice the common elements as mentioned above:

Author - R. Langer

Source Title - Science

Publication Date - 1990

Page numbers - 1527-1533

IEEE Style:

R. Langer, "New Methods of Drug Delivery," Science, vol. 249, pp. 1527-1533, SEP 28, 1990.

What to cite
    You must cite:

Ideas, words, theories, or exact language that another person used in other publications
    Publications that must be cited include: books, book chapters, articles, web pages, theses, etc.

Avoiding plagiarism
    Plagiarism occurs when you borrow another's words (or ideas) and do not acknowledge that you have done so. In this culture, we consider our words and ideas intellectual property; like a car or any other possession, we believe our words belong to us and cannot be used without our permission.

Plagiarism is a very serious offense. If it is found that you have plagiarized -- deliberately or inadvertently -- you may face serious consequences. In some instances, plagiarism has meant that students have had to leave the institutions where they were studying.

The best way to avoid plagiarism is to cite your sources - both within the body of your paper and in a bibliography of sources you used at the end of your paper.

MIT Academic Integrity
    Avoiding Plagiarism
    Plagiarism- Overview

https://libguides.mit.edu/citing

My point is that it is good etiquette to clarify when content posted is not one's own.

My point is that it is good etiquette to clarify when content posted is not one's own.
    I agree. It's also daft. It verifies the post, gives it more weight and allows others to copy and paste it should they so wish.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I agree. It's also daft. It verifies the post, gives it more weight and allows others to copy and paste it should they so wish.
    It's also good to know who I'd be replying to - the writer or the poster.

See, first it's 'we are all in this pandemic together', then it's 'careful, we are in a recession', then it's going to be 'if you don't want your job, someone else will have it'. There will always be a reason for you to tell workers to doth their cap and accept their lot.

Out of interest, what do you currently do for a living?
    Giglo

Your right, speaking for myself I just didn't think it was that critical

I see an article and think it's of interest so I share.

I am trying to do better though .

There goes the thrust of the topic, so does it matter?

Giglo
    The gig economy eh?

At the low end?

Life can be shit!

Your right, speaking for myself I just didn't think it was that critical

I see an article and think it's of interest so I share.

I am trying to do better though .

There goes the thrust of the topic, so does it matter?
    A number of posters have stated in this thread that it does matter and they have stated the reasons why.

Note

Why citing is important

About citations

author name(s)
    date of publication
    page numbers

Author - R. Langer

Source Title - Science

Publication Date - 1990

Page numbers - 1527-1533

IEEE Style:

What to cite
    You must cite:

Avoiding plagiarism

MIT Academic Integrity
    Avoiding Plagiarism
    Plagiarism- Overview

In an exam that would be acceptable, however un unofficial football whereby people offer their opinions it may not be needed ?

If you think it should why on earth have you wasted 7,500 posts in your spare time

Why don’t you tell your friends about the pesky posters of a football message board who don’t post links to a topic ( people like me just post for a bit of fun and have more important things to worry about )

Half the time I post off a cell phone which exacerbates the problem

Whoosh

Of course it is ??

I simply don't hide that fact , others simply compile responses in their own words dragged from the very same media outlets something I am honest about as I do struggle with composing eloquent responses in the correct grammar and details' .

Anyway back to the point and away from the goalpost move the detail I posted seem to show HGV shortage Europe not just the UK that has nothing to do with Brexit , do you have a eloquent view on why , I hope they weren't using cheap eastern European labour as well and now drivers want a fair wage and conditions ???????

In an exam that would be acceptable, however un unofficial football whereby people offer their opinions it may not be needed ?

If you think it should why on earth have you wasted 7,500 posts in your spare time

Why don’t you tell your friends about the pesky posters of a football message board who don’t post links to a topic ( people like me just post for a bit of fun and have more important things to worry about )

Half the time I post off a cell phone which exacerbates the problem
    Well said ( Pesky posters )who dare to offer impartial, different, or dare to challenge views of other posters .

Back to DVLA time they got back to work in my humble view, and helped others who are desperate to get a licence to earn some money instead of being held to ransom by those in work and earning , late night valley buses are still not back due to this appalling backlog .

Then take there Industrial Action . ( for the picky board one's see what I di for you with their )

It is about others not just a single entity of workers .

Whoosh all in my own poor grammar

Of course it is ??

I simply don't hide that fact , others simply compile responses in their own words dragged from the very same media outlets something I am honest about as I do struggle with composing eloquent responses in the correct grammar and details' .

Anyway back to the point and away from the goalpost move the detail I posted seem to show HGV shortage Europe not just the UK that has nothing to do with Brexit , do you have a eloquent view on why , I hope they weren't using cheap eastern European labour as well and now drivers want a fair wage and conditions ???????
    Of course you hide the fact - by not referencing your cut and paste jobs in the first place

Of course it is ??

So the article you selectively copied and pasted from that TBG helpfully posted using Transport Intelligence's figures the UK accounts for 25% of the overall lorry driver shortage across Europe. Yet the UK accounts for around 13% of the overall population of the EU/UK combined and even less if countries such as Norway who were part of your selective quote are included.

If you had quoted the article rather than cut bits out then others could have noted the conclusions from the body that produced the figures:

Logistics analysts Transport Intelligence told i: “The most heavily affected European countries are Poland, the UK and Germany. The UK is in a particularly difficult position as it is not only grappling with Brexit, but it also saw many European workers leave over the course of the pandemic, as fears over lockdowns grew.”

You may wish to note that its conclusions differ from yours that the particular UK shortage has nothing to do with Brexit, but bloody experts, what do they know?

Of course you hide the fact - by not referencing your cut and paste jobs in the first place
    Well why do you need to point it out if you know that it a fact .

Any comment on HGV European crisis

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    So the article you selectively copied and pasted from that TBG helpfully posted using Transport Intelligence's figures the UK accounts for 25% of the overall lorry driver shortage across Europe. Yet the UK accounts for around 13% of the overall population of the EU/UK combined and even less if countries such as Norway who were part of your selective quote are included.

If you had quoted the article rather than cut bits out then others could have noted the conclusions from the body that produced the figures:

Logistics analysts Transport Intelligence told i: “The most heavily affected European countries are Poland, the UK and Germany. The UK is in a particularly difficult position as it is not only grappling with Brexit, but it also saw many European workers leave over the course of the pandemic, as fears over lockdowns grew.”

You may wish to note that its conclusions differ from yours that the particular UK shortage has nothing to do with Brexit, but bloody experts, what do they know?
    Any view on low wage European drivers depressing HGV drivers for so long which is another view from another media outlet or is that made up ?

Any view on low wage European drivers depressing HGV drivers for so long which is another view from another media outlet or is that made up ?
    It's not European drivers depressing wages, it's greedy companies lowering wages not just for HGV drivers but in basically every industry. I repeatedy get told by tories that billionaires are good for the country, how? Are wages improving? No. Are public services improving? No. Is debt improving? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    It's not European drivers depressing wages, it's greedy companies lowering wages not just for HGV drivers but in basically every industry. I repeatedy get told by tories that billionaires are good for the country, how? Are wages improving? No. Are public services improving? No. Is debt improving? No.
    Thought it was Brexit ?????

Tories are not in charge in Europe ??

The same depressing of wages exists In Europe ??

Sir don't worry Sir Kier will sort this and get job and wages sorted ??

There is a global inflation crisis ??

Economy /jobs every where under threat

$9 Trillion Global Fiscal Support

100 billion fund to rebuild Ukraine

Billions sent to arm Ukraine ?

How do you pay for the biggest spend social support since WW2 on covid which is running at £315 to £410 billion.

Fuel crisis

Who pays these massive costs .

Hopefully you can agree a lot of these events are not Tory driven and are unprecedented in our times since WW2 , and it cant be easy to plan for the future wherever you sit on the politcial spectrum and its very easy to say, oh that shit , your useless , scum , without coming up with your own constructive new ideas to move the country forward .

People with views across the political spectrum in this thread emphasise that attributing source material is important. Particularly if you are presenting it as your own. and especially as in the case with the I article. if you are selectively quoting the bits that support whatever point you are seeking to make and suppressing the bits you don't like.

So to initially answer your question. I have no idea if another view from another media outlet is made up or not as. apart from you perhaps selectively quoting bits of it, we have no way of telling. Perhaps you have been seduced by the gifted and talented gang you look up to who when challenged say, it's all there in the internet thingy, you just need to know where to look?

It might help you understand why sourcing material is important but then again nothing most people have said so far seems to have moved your dial!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    People with views across the political spectrum in this thread emphasise that attributing source material is important. Particularly if you are presenting it as your own. and especially as in the case with the I article. if you are selectively quoting the bits that support whatever point you are seeking to make and suppressing the bits you don't like.

So to initially answer your question. I have no idea if another view from another media outlet is made up or not as. apart from you perhaps selectively quoting bits of it, we have no way of telling. Perhaps you have been seduced by the gifted and talented gang you look up to who when challenged say, it's all there in the internet thingy, you just need to know where to look?

It might help you understand why sourcing material is important but then again nothing most people have said so far seems to have moved your dial!
    Without saying too much the industry I work that is being badly hit by these backlogs and local bus companies cannot run full and late night bus services , which has badly effected one of my relatives and her job ,she simply cant afford the taxi fairs between Blackwood and Caerphilly .

Below are a view video's I spotted when asked my is there such a problem .

This is the under cover story film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZZ8SqKcNwk

Lorry driver view worth reading the comments of others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buR9k29KnYI

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2038767.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=dvla...hrome&ie=UTF-8

These are my views below : Whatever ones views are politically what we do know is :

The unit has thousands of employees that are local and brings wealth to the local community
    Wales needs to keep the jobs ad not give government a reasons to shut them down as we have seen in other cities/jobs like Liverpool
    The job loss would be far bigger that just the 6k at DVLA ,as it has support business locally probably up to 10k impact
    It has seen a lot of industrial action over the years ?
    No one is denying the free right to strike ( but not know, just smells of taking advantage in a key moment, whilst other suffer )
    We need to get these licences out so folk can go about their business's and life after so much despair in the last two years .