+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What a bunch of tossers

Re: What a bunch of tossers

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Do you not understand what the single market is?
    I never really appreciated that the embodiment of neoliberalism and complete deregulation across borders achieved so little until you highlighted its limitations. Still those stupid "experts" at the Tory established Office of Budget Responsibility maintain that its predictions of seismic trade reductions as a consequence of Brexit remain on track.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20...rade-recovery/

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I never really appreciated that the embodiment of neoliberalism and complete deregulation across borders achieved so little until you highlighted its limitations. Still those stupid "experts" at the Tory established Office of Budget Responsibility maintain that its predictions of seismic trade reductions as a consequence of Brexit remain on track.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20...rade-recovery/
    There are pros and cons to it, but it's capitalism's wet dream. No doubt about that. The single market is Thatcherism on steroids. For better or worse. In terms of Brexit and global trade, I think we need much longer to assess that and not a global pandemic that has disrupted almost everything

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    There are pros and cons to it, but it's capitalism's wet dream. No doubt about that. The single market is Thatcherism on steroids. For better or worse. In terms of Brexit and global trade, I think we need much longer to assess that and not a global pandemic that has disrupted almost everything
    The bit I don't get is that if it is capitalism's wet dream why arch deregulators like Rees-Mogg are happy to see new bureaucratic barriers between this Thatcherist utopia and the UK imposed? I can see why less wealthy people fearing the impact of free movement of labour has on their utility and services but what does dear Jacob and his ilk have against the the largest market for goods, services and capital? Unless you make money from disruption and uncertainty I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    The bit I don't get is that if it is capitalism's wet dream why arch deregulators like Rees-Mogg are happy to see new bureaucratic barriers between this Thatcherist utopia and the UK imposed? I can see why less wealthy people fearing the impact of free movement of labour has on their utility and services but what does dear Jacob and his ilk have against the the largest market for goods, services and capital? Unless you make money from disruption and uncertainty I guess?

I have no idea what goes through Moggys head. But I would suggest for him it's a mixture of old school British independence etc coupled with an alternative free market belief that we can do better on better terms globally.

Thats the conflict on it really; whilst the single market is deregulation and free markets at the same time it prevents the same with outside economies and individual members. So the UK couldn't do bilateral trade deals with other countries. Basically, as with so much in life there is evidence to suit any argument really.