+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading Allocation

Reading Allocation

Is it 2,200 this season or could the club ask for more if demand requires ?

Re: Reading Allocation

They can ask. It would be up to Reading, Thames Valley police and the Heddlu. Can't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Is it 2,200 this season or could the club ask for more if demand requires ?
    Nope you won’t get any more. You will have half of the South Stand are our club 1871 fans will be in the other section of the South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    They can ask. It would be up to Reading, Thames Valley police and the Heddlu. Can't see it happening.
    It’s not to do with the Police but a club decision a few years ago not to give the opposition the full South Stand. Our so called more fanatical fans take up the other half of the Stand. It works pretty well although we lose match day revenue when the likes of Cardiff and big away support come to town.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    It works pretty well although we lose match day revenue when the likes of Cardiff and big away support come to town.
    Given current finances this makes no sense. I’m sure we use to take 5-6,000 to Reading, it’s virtually a derby game.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Given current finances this makes no sense. I’m sure we use to take 5-6,000 to Reading, it’s virtually a derby game.
    You would have had all of the South Stand in the past so around a 4,000 allocation.
    The move was made 1) to improve the atmosphere by having our loudest fans next to the away support and 2) the players wanted it as seeing one of the main stands completely full of away support was seen as an issue.
    It’s worked well. Yes we lose matchday income but if it helps us stay in the Championship it’s worth the hit.

You would have had all of the South Stand in the past so around a 4,000 allocation.
    The move was made 1) to improve the atmosphere by having our loudest fans next to the away support and 2) the players wanted it as seeing one of the main stands completely full of away support was seen as an issue.
    It’s worked well. Yes we lose matchday income but if it helps us stay in the Championship it’s worth the hit.
    This is what football has become.
    In a word shite.
    Probably 10 sides would fill that away end but a half empty home crowd would rather stop away fans.
    Utter gash decision.

How's that working for you?

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    Quite.

Just weird, the whole idea of it

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Quite.

Just weird, the whole idea of it
    I can their point, would you want 4,000 away fans at the CCS every week?

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    Well the atmosphere is far better now than before we made the change. We are struggling to stay in the division and the atmosphere today helped get us over the line. So to answer your question perhaps better than you think.

Well very few fill the bit we give them now.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    In a word shite.
    Probably 10 sides would fill that away end but a half empty home crowd would rather stop away fans.
    Utter gash decision.

Disagree.The atmosphere has improved as far as home fans are concerned. The owners have got so much wrong but they have listened to the fan base and accepted the atmosphere used to be dire and since the advent of club 1871 it’s improved a lot.
    They have been willing to take less revenue as a result.

But it isn't every weekend is it?

And besides it is incumbent on the HOME fans to create an atmosphere that the team can thrive on, and for a club or a the team to admit to being affected by the opposing support is just absolutely pathetic I'm afraid.

Why not ban away fans altogether, if they are such a concern?!

Personally, I think that away support, especially a big, vocal following make for a much better game.

This is just so lame on Reading's part. I'd be embarrassed to admit it, if I was them!!

Disagree.The atmosphere has improved as far as home fans are concerned. The owners have got so much wrong but they have listened to the fan base and accepted the atmosphere used to be dire and since the advent of club 1871 it’s improved a lot.
    They have been willing to take less revenue as a result.
    I find it incredible that a club with losses of £100 plus million turn down up to 20/25,000 paying supporters per season. Local businesses will also be affected , speaking personally we usually stay at Winnersh Premier Inn after the matches

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    But it isn't every weekend is it?

And besides it is incumbent on the HOME fans to create an atmosphere that the team can thrive on, and for a club or a the team to admit to being affected by the opposing support is just absolutely pathetic I'm afraid.

Why not ban away fans altogether, if they are such a concern?!

Personally, I think that away support, especially a big, vocal following make for a much better game.

This is just so lame on Reading's part. I'd be embarrassed to admit it, if I was them!!
    I’m not embarrassed Your fan base is more passionate than ours. I wish our fans were louder but that’s not how a lot of our fans are.These are our home games. When it comes to internationals away teams usually get a 10% allocation. That’s what we give.
    With the way our ground is set up giving the entire South Stand to the opposition is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I find it incredible that a club with losses of £100 plus million turn down up to 20/25,000 paying supporters per season. Local businesses will also be affected , speaking personally we usually stay at Winnersh Premier Inn after the matches

The decision was made around three years ago when the atmosphere was dreadful. We were doing very badly. The atmosphere was either toxic or silent. It’s improved considerably since then. I prefer it now to then. I genuinely think it’s helped us stay in this division. The loss of revenue would have been far greater had we gone down.

In a word shite.
    Utter gash decision.
    Become? Pretty sure back in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s teams were putting in measures to reduce away crowds

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Become? Pretty sure back in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s teams were putting in measures to reduce away crowds
    Pretty sure is quite confident in my book
    QUOTE a few teams and what they did in the 70s 80s and 90s because I don't remember allocation for away fans back then tbh

Pretty sure is quite confident in my book
    QUOTE a few teams and what they did in the 70s 80s and 90s because I don't remember allocation for away fans back then tbh
    It’s just a hunch. I doubt teams were too keen to offer the likes of Chelsea, West Ham, Millwall, Leeds and even ourselves extra tickets if they were going spare.

The additional revenue from 1-1.5k away fans would probably equal the wandering captain, Liam Moore's weekly wage. If that's your business model then a motley crew shouting Come On You Rzs every 10 minutes next to the away end is a no brainer when it comes to Dai Yongge's idea of value for money.

It’s just a hunch. I doubt teams were too keen to offer the likes of Chelsea, West Ham, Millwall, Leeds and even ourselves extra tickets if they were going spare.
    Tickets don't remember them pre early 90s

The decision was made around three years ago when the atmosphere was dreadful. We were doing very badly. The atmosphere was either toxic or silent. It’s improved considerably since then. I prefer it now to then. I genuinely think it’s helped us stay in this division. The loss of revenue would have been far greater had we gone down.
    From my many experiences of going there the last time we went the home fans next to us made a lot more noise than we did - for pretty much the first time. Did help them that they won 3-0, but it was better for them even before that.

It’s a shame we can’t have more tickets, but it’s their choice at the end of the day.

Have we sold anywhere near the 2200 yet ?

As no one is asking about spares !

Certainly 70s and 80s it was a case of first come first serve down the city and I can think of three games Chelsea Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday who basically overtook our ground based on the number of fans they brought - segregation was based on choice ie if you wanted to go in the allocated away end then fine but there was nothing to stop you taking a chance and going in the home end. Can't remember any games when I needed a ticket in advance but then I did have a season ticket from the early 80s on so I maybe wrong

We werent playing one Saturday so me and two friends decided to go and watch Newport play Swansea at Somerton Park and there was so many Cardiff there we had our own part of the ground