+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parachute payments

Re: Parachute payments

Ladies and Gentlemen you have been listening to a party political broadcast on behalf of the dirty stinking capitalist premier league .

We can do anything we want as most of you are stupid .

Cheers .

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I should maybe add that of the 23 different sides that won promotion in the 2010s, 12 of them had also won promotion in the 2000s while 7 of the 17 different sides that finished in the top 2 in the 2010s had done so in the previous decade.

8 of the 12 sides only promoted in the 2010s (not the 2000s) had played in League 1 since 2000; 5 of them had played in the bottom tier since then.

20 years ago who would have guessed Swansea, Bournemouth and Brentford would have made the Premier League? I think any well-run club playing good football, with an eye for bringing in quality players, can make it.
    I think it's great when the likes of Brentford, Burnley , Watford etc kick a few arses in the poncey league

Maybe one day we will get up there for more than a season but I doubt it .

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The teams going up also tend to be well-supported, or have wealthy owners, or are well-managed and well-run. Parachute payments are clearly not the be-all and end-all if you look at the stats.

To be honest, I don't know what people want these days. Financial fair play? In my opinion, that system is, and always has been, absolute nonsense. It's just a joke, as the clubs who get punished are never those who are successful - they're always the clubs who've failed in one way or another.

Do we want some sort of a level playing field? If so, how could that possibly be achieved?

Whatever happens, we'll always have big clubs, small clubs, clubs who are well-run, clubs who are a circus, clubs with wealthy owners, clubs without. That's always been the way and I'd guess it always will be.
    There is no obvious answer. In one sense FFP should protect clubs from themselves and put an end to ridiculous overspending with transfer embargo’s and point deductions. Yet some of the worst offenders like Villa have gotten away with it by winning promotion in the nick of time.

The biggest problems appear to be in the Championship where huge debts are being racked up by too many clubs. It’s the division where the FFP breaches are regularly occurring with a number of teams being hit by points deductions. Maybe things will slowly change and clubs will get their act together but right now it’s a long way from that.

it should at least be a level playing field. the current system where some clubs get well more than double the income of others is basically not fair.
    you could take any club in this league, say Peterborough, and hive them an extra £35 million a year for 2 or 3 years to spend on wages and transfers and they should at least be challenging for the playoffs.
    the fact that we had it and did nothing says a lot about us

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The biggest problems appear to be in the Championship where huge debts are being racked up by too many clubs. It’s the division where the FFP breaches are regularly occurring with a number of teams being hit by points deductions.
    2018/19 - Birmingham were deducted 9 points, which meant they finished 17th as opposed to 14th.

2020/21 - Sheffield Wednesday were deducted 6 points, which meant they were relegated (ironically instead of Derby).

And, of course, this season we have Derby's 21 points, that will see them relegated, and Reading's 6 points, which might see them relegated or mean nothing at all.

The point I was making above is the teams who get punished are those who are knackered anyway. It's not those who achieve any sort of success.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it should at least be a level playing field.
    That's the stuff of fantasy. Football has never been a level playing field. Nor will it ever be.

That's the stuff of fantasy. Football has never been a level playing field. Nor will it ever be.
    And that's why i believe performance enhancing drugs should be legal. People think i'm being facetious but i'm deadly serious.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    And that's why i believe performance enhancing drugs should be legal. People think i'm being facetious but i'm deadly serious.

Credit where it's due, that's a new angle.

its never going to be for things like ticket sales, or merchandise or sponsorship, but it should be for TV revenue IMO, or at least the disparity should be a lot less.

20220321_211358.jpg

clubs like Coventry have an income of about 12 million, and are competing with clubs that get £42 million in a season from parachute payments alone

clubs like Coventry have an income of about 12 million, and are competing with clubs that get £42 million in a season from parachute payments alone
    I know you love your graphics, but I have no idea what that one means. Wycombe? Charlton? Sheffield Wednesday? They ain't in the Championship.

2018/19 - Birmingham were deducted 9 points, which meant they finished 17th as opposed to 14th.

2020/21 - Sheffield Wednesday were deducted 6 points, which meant they were relegated (ironically instead of Derby).

And, of course, this season we have Derby's 21 points, that will see them relegated, and Reading's 6 points, which might see them relegated or mean nothing at all.

The point I was making above is the teams who get punished are those who are knackered anyway. It's not those who achieve any sort of success.
    Is it right that by winning promotion Villa were able to escape the much more stringent FFP rules in the Championship? They accrued huge debts which were well over £39 million over three years but by going up avoided being punished. Huge overspending benefitted them and they didn’t get punished. Huge overspending didn’t work for other clubs and they were punished. I don’t think that’s right. Overspending is overspending.

Credit where it's due, that's a new angle.
    Its deadly serious, sport is just for the rich. I think they worked out the cost for Australia at about 30 million dollars a gold medal in Athens back in the 2000's. Australia finished 4th because they spent more money.

Drugs in sport reduce economic bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Is it right that by winning promotion Villa were able to escape the much more stringent FFP rules in the Championship? They accrued huge debts which were well over £39 million over three years but by going up avoided being punished. Huge overspending benefitted them and they didn’t get punished. Huge overspending didn’t work for other clubs and they were punished. I don’t think that’s right. Overspending is overspending.
    No idea to be honest. But I can't recall any sides getting points deductions after promotion, which is one of the main reasons why I believe the system just doesn't stack up. The only clubs who seem to get punished are those who are already knackered anyway, and the system is so complicated that even those who are supposed to be overseeing it don't seem to understand it (for instance, Cardiff were hit with an embargo not long ago that was swiftly removed as there was apparently some sort of misunderstanding on the part of the Football League).

I appreciate these measures are intended to stop clubs overspending, but they clearly don't work in that respect, so what do they actually achieve?

Its deadly serious, sport is just for the rich.
    I don't think too many footballers start off rich.....

I know you love your graphics, but I have no idea what that one means. Wycombe? Charlton? Sheffield Wednesday? They ain't in the Championship.
    its not from this season

I don't think too many footballers start off rich.....
    you misunderstand.

you misunderstand.
    Enlighten me.

its not from this season
    So what season it is from?

No idea to be honest. But I can't recall any sides getting points deductions after promotion, which is one of the main reasons why I believe the system just doesn't stack up. The only clubs who seem to get punished are those who are already knackered anyway, and the system is so complicated that even those who are supposed to be overseeing it don't seem to understand it (for instance, Cardiff were hit with an embargo not long ago that was swiftly removed as there was apparently some sort of misunderstanding on the part of the Football League).

I appreciate these measures are intended to stop clubs overspending, but they clearly don't work in that respect, so what do they actually achieve?

I see it as a big flaw. Teams like Villa spend huge sums in a gamble to get back to the PL. It worked for them but it was by no means a guarantee. They would have been knackered had they not gone up because their debts were huge. The system encourages clubs to take that gamble knowing the FFP debt levels are much higher in the PL. That needs to change. The PL and EFL need to work together to come up with a more sensible way of monitoring all of this because it’s failing. Relegation from the PL to the Championship should not be so disastrous and similarly promotion to the PL shouldn’t be so lucrative.

So what season it is from?
    mostly 2020/21 except where the club's haven't released the accounts for that season yet, in which case it's their Most recent results

mostly 2020/21 except where the club's haven't released the accounts for that season yet, in which case it's their Most recent results
    It's nonsense, then.

Fulham weren't in the Championship in 2020/21. Neither were West Brom. Or Charlton. Rotherham were, but there's no sign of them.

Enlighten me.
    Its about the sports institutions or in the case of Australia that i mentioned earlier spending 500 million in preparation for an event. Its not about the person growing up rich but then again you knew that!

Its neither a new concept, if it is for you its worth looking into, plenty has been written and said on the topic. Personally I think the arguments are sound and worth considering rather then be simply dismissed in the south park sense "drugs are bad" no more discussion.

I don't believe we watch a purely innocent event these days, there is so much fixing and interference around sports. Even with our greatest romantic blinkered goggles on, professional sport is no longer about the freaks and chance, its a multi-billion dollar a year business. So the least they can do is try to level the playing field by giving the entertainers the same opportunities afford to their competitors who have greater access to wealth to help them perform.

.....the least they can do is try to level the playing field by giving the entertainers the same opportunities afford to their competitors who have greater access to wealth to help them perform.
    If all of the players were taking performance-enhancing drugs, wouldn't the better players still be, like, well, better?

The Premier League would be more of a closed shop without parachute payments.

It's nonsense, then.

Fulham weren't in the Championship in 2020/21. Neither were West Brom. Or Charlton. Rotherham were, but there's no sign of them.
    its not nonsense, it still gives you a good idea on the relative levels of income in this league