Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
It would appear that anyone who doesn't share your oft expressed view that Western Democracies are the primary source of the world's ills are naive, absurd or both.

The answer you have damned Albright for came from a trap question where you either agreed that sanctions were wrong or looked heartless. She wasn't to know at the time that the figures of child mortality have subsequently been shown to be highly dubious and likely to have been doctored by the Hussein regime of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sancti...ssein%20regime.

Your disgust at comments from Western government officials might have more credibility if you had similar distain for autocrats invading other countries rather than the reaction to them. In terms of Putin and Hussein I would have Albright, no saint, as the lesser of three evils. Based on your contributions to this board I am not sure you would reach the same conclusion.
Heaven forbid that journalists should ask government officials difficult questions and hold them to account So even if the 500,000 figure is wrong (which could be a propaganda in itself), the fact remains that she seemed comfortable with admitting that it is an acceptable price to pay.

You're right, I do believe that Western so-called 'democracies' are the primary (not only, but certainly primary) source of the world's ills. I've said that what Putin is doing is terrible. UN figures show that 1,119 people have been killed in Ukraine so far, and the actual figure is likely to be higher. But compare the media coverage of Putin's invasion with that of the UK-backed war on Yemen, where 377,000 people have died and projections show that will rise to well over 1 million if the bombing continues until 2030; there is obviously a massive disparity. That is what's so frustrating.

It's also bizarre to me that there is a glowing obituary on a British forum written by an ordinary British citizen about a foreign diplomat who was in office over 20 years ago, especially when she seemed to have such a poor track record for causing widespread death in other countries. There hasn't been much a of a response showing all the good she supposedly did. maybe the OP doesn't actually know that much about her?