+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Does Arnautovic duck out of Bale's free-kick...?

Does Arnautovic duck out of Bale's free-kick...?

Re: Does Arnautovic duck out of Bale's free-kick...?

Probably..the bloke's a shyster

No, I don't think so, the Austrian wall did nothing wrong looking at this;-

https://twitter.com/i/status/1507114721945739269

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    No, I don't think so, the Austrian wall did nothing wrong looking at this;-

https://twitter.com/i/status/1507114721945739269
    That's a great link to review it, you can stop the video at various points, he jumped and turned his back at the end, but the ball went really high over the wall and dipped really quickly, what a fantastic free kick!!!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    That's a great link to review it, you can stop the video at various points, he jumped and turned his back at the end, but the ball went really high over the wall and dipped really quickly, what a fantastic free kick!!!
    absolutely unsaveable free kick, Arnautovic jumped quite far forwards during the run up so he was almost certainly encroaching as well, I don't think he can have done any more to try and stop the ball short of handballing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    absolutely unsaveable free kick, Arnautovic jumped quite far forwards during the run up so he was almost certainly encroaching as well, I don't think he can have done any more to try and stop the ball short of handballing it.
    Last night there was a photo of the wall jumping on the BBC website which I haven’t been able to find today. In that, I was struck by how high off the ground they were, but the ball was still that two or three inches above them. The very fact that the ball was still above them should have meant that the shot was going over the bar, but it came down enough to just clip the underside of the bar. That shows the laser like accuracy of the shot.

I’ve just listened to a short Elis James podcast recorded straight after the game and Danny Gabbidon and Iwan Roberts with their seventy or so caps between them didn’t have a clue how Bale did it - Iwan admitted he never had a shot at goal from a free kick in his seven hundred odd game career, but I saw Danny score from a free kick against Crewe in his last season with us, so for him to be incredulous about it says a lot.

That photo I mentioned is included in this story - I think it shows the wall did nothing wrong, in fact they did their job pretty well.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...y-over-austria

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson;5286440(
    they) didn’t have a clue how Bale did it - Iwan admitted he never had a shot at goal from a free kick in his seven hundred odd game career, but I saw Danny score from a free kick against Crewe in his last season with us, so for him to be incredulous about it says a lot.
    I think Bales does stuff that is unique to him. I watched him during his spell at Spurs and his flicks and laying the ball off were mesmerising - and improved, the fitter he became. Even on Thursday and not being battle-hardened, he pulled off that move to beat two guys that drew a murmur of admiration from the crowd. I still don't know how he did it. He is an exceptional ball player - in the Cruff mould. Like Beckham, he's worked out how to address the ball to achieve a result. Only a few are blessed with that sort of talent.

Was surprised by how big Arnautovic was in the flesh. Doesn’t look that big on tv.

Looking at the photo Bob shared he does seem to shit out by turning his back on the ball and slightly ducking during his jump but as has been said above the only way he could have stopped the free kick would have been to reach up and block it which would have been a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Looking at the photo Bob shared he does seem to shit out by turning his back on the ball and slightly ducking during his jump but as has been said above the only way he could have stopped the free kick would have been to reach up and block it which would have been a penalty.
    I just think he was looking back to see what was happening. If you regularly find yourself in a defensive wall. I reckon you eventually get a decent idea whether a shot is going in or not as it flies by you and he knew that his team could be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I think Bales does stuff that is unique to him. I watched him during his spell at Spurs and his flicks and laying the ball off were mesmerising - and improved, the fitter he became. Even on Thursday and not being battle-hardened, he pulled off that move to beat two guys that drew a murmur of admiration from the crowd. I still don't know how he did it. He is an exceptional ball player - in the Cruff mould. Like Beckham, he's worked out how to address the ball to achieve a result. Only a few are blessed with that sort of talent.
    Exactly, a lot of people seem to pretend Bale is just this athletic freak rather than a truly top tier footballer. The way he strikes the ball is incredible and even the "simple" flicks inside leave world class defenders bamboozled, he's one of the best of his generation