+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Yma O Hyd

Re: Yma O Hyd

I recall an incident reported a couple of years ago.

Two women of let's say foreign appearance, were chatting on a bus.

A man of far right views couldn't understand their language and took exception
    and berated them saying something like
    "you're in England now - you should be speaking English!"

One of them replied, in English,

Actually, we're in Wales and we are speaking Welsh - what's your problem?"

There wasn't a hole deep enough for him to crawl into.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I recall an incident reported a couple of years ago.

Two women of let's say foreign appearance, were chatting on a bus.

A man of far right views couldn't understand their language and took exception
    and berated them saying something like
    "you're in England now - you should be speaking English!"

One of them replied, in English,

Actually, we're in Wales and we are speaking Welsh - what's your problem?"

There wasn't a hole deep enough for him to crawl into.
    I'm not disputing if it happened or not, but doesn't this sound like one of them urban myths you read online?!

In defence of Sludge...

And bearing in mind I haven't read everything here.

But it is possible to be critical of some pro-welsh language policies and that not mean you don't support the language. Same way you can be a christian and criticise some church policies. For example, the language needs to 'win around' people if it is to have popular support. Spending money on bilingual signage may not be the best way to do that. Sludge's comments are very common in Cardiff.

Sometimes less is more and 'shoving things down peoples throats' (not my words) isn't always the best thing to do.

Personally I have no issue at all with bilingual general information as it's cheaper than an opt out system and tends to lead to more concise communication (ie, you keep it to one side of paper, so the Welsh/English is reversible).

One thing I would change is the requirement for kids to study Welsh until 16. I think after 14 it should be optional, by which time you have gained an awareness of the cultural and linguistic elements of the language but you are unlikely to become fluent in it compared to kids at Welsh language schools and it does impact upon other subjects given there are only so many hours in the day. I'm a big believer in learning foreign languages (ich kann Deutsche sprechen...) and I don't want us to fall further behind on that.

Anecdotally I think that policy does build some resentment towards the language, including amongst young people 'made' to learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    In defence of Sludge...

And bearing in mind I haven't read everything here.

But it is possible to be critical of some pro-welsh language policies and that not mean you don't support the language. For example, the language needs to 'win around' people if it is to have popular support. Spending money on bilingual signage may not be the best way to do that. Sludge's comments are very common in Cardiff.

Sometimes less is more and 'shoving things down peoples throats' (not my words) isn't always the best thing to do.

Personally I have no issue at all with bilingual general information as it's cheaper than an opt out system and tends to lead to more concise communication (ie, you keep it to one side of paper, so the Welsh/English is reversible).

One thing I would change is the requirement for kids to study Welsh until 16. I think after 14 it should be optional, by which time you have gained an awareness of the cultural and linguistic elements of the language but you are unlikely to become fluent in it compared to kids at Welsh language schools and it does impact upon other subjects given there are only so many hours in the day.

Anecdotally I think that policy does build some resentment towards the language, including amongst young people 'made' to learn it.
    I had 1 hour of Welsh a week after 14

My daughter is 15 and gets the same one whole hour a week.

duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I'm not disputing if it happened or not, but doesn't this sound like one of them urban myths you read online?!
    It was in the eggo or Western Mail

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    It was in the eggo or Western Mail
    Yeah I've got teeny recollections of the story myself so wasn't trying to dispute it was reported somehow..just saying it sounds like one of them types of stories you hear repeated down the pub etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No

I have always thought that the provision of services should be determined by the demand for that service .

I don't see the point of sending out bilingual council forms when in some places hardly anyone speaks Welsh.
    Are you of the same opinion about the incurred costs and the obvious waste of time in providing language platforms for say Somali, Arabic, Aramaic, perhaps even Ukranian on its way etc ?

Genuinely curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Are you of the same opinion about the incurred costs and the obvious waste of time in providing language platforms for say Somali, Arabic, Aramaic, perhaps even Ukranian on its way etc ?

Genuinely curious.
    The reason why in a city like cardiff that multi language information is provided because in many immigrant communities the population , especially amongst the elderly , speaks very little English.

In Cardiff is there a elderly population of Welsh speakers that cannot understand English and need these bilingual forms ?

I very much doubt it .

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    In defence of Sludge...
    here he is again, defending the tories

The reason why in a city like cardiff that multi language information is provided because in many immigrant communities the population , especially amongst the elderly , speaks very little English.

In Cardiff is there a elderly population of Welsh speakers that cannot understand English and need these bilingual forms ?

I very much doubt it .
    I think there are around 35 k people in Cardiff who's first language is Welsh.
    they can probably all manage to fill in a form in English, but why should they have to?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    here he is again, defending the tories
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think the point you make that "Welsh will never die now" is completely incorrect.

without significant efforts to keep it going it could easily die out within a few generations.
    it is held up as a model of how to maintain a minority language by many countries.

there are languages in China with tens of millions of speakers that you've never heard of, that are dying out rapidly because the Chinese government want mandarin to be the only language
    Do you think Cardiff County Council providing a call line in English and Welsh is a significant step in preserving the Welsh language ?

I don't

Spend the money on a Welsh language festival in Cardiff every summer for example

Who wants English , or Indeed Welsh to be the only language ?

That's clearly not what the critics of bilingual Council forms is about

Welsh is in a good state these days , better than I can remember . Do people think the council spending money on language classes for the many is a better use of resources ?

Or is anyone who suggests that a goose stepping anti Welsh nazi ?

they can probably all manage to fill in a form in English, but why should they have to?
    I bet you most of them fill it in in English

My ex missus was a raving Welsh nationalist , on the day of the vote for a Welsh parliament she pissed off into town shopping with her mother who was always slagging off the English and neither of them bothered to vote .

It's box ticking

My ex missus was a raving Welsh nationalist , on the day of the vote for a Welsh parliament she pissed off into town shopping with her mother who was always slagging off the English and neither of them bothered to vote .

It's box ticking
    Can't think why she left you with your open minded attitude to life?

Never that many, less than 5% of the population isn’t it? Know quite a few parents who send their kids to Welsh primary but none of them speak any Welsh….

It's box ticking
    This is such an unbelievably arrogant attitude to have, it's not box ticking if you prefer to fill it in in your first language. Who the hell do you think you are?

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    It's because he's a tory. He's let it slip in this thread.

This is such an unbelievably arrogant attitude to have, it's not box ticking if you prefer to fill it in in your first language. Who the hell do you think you are?
    Whoa now. You keep that violence in check sonny.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Never that many, less than 5% of the population isn’t it? Know quite a few parents who send their kids to Welsh primary but none of them speak any Welsh….
    According to the last census 11.1% are fluent in Welsh.

I'd be interested to know the percentages of those that speak Somali, Arabic etc. so Sludge can support his case that providing a Welsh language platform is a waste of time and money when comparing the absolute need for the provision of other languages to support some communities within Cardiff.

I wonder if Dafydd Iwan regards any of the Welsh team as being a Dic Siôn Dafydd?

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    She didn't like English people so I left her

Precious .

Whoa now. You keep that violence in check sonny.
    Don't make me get my girlfriend to slap you

I am simply voicing an opinion that its daft . I am not advocating death to Welsh speakers .

It's because he's a tory. He's let it slip in this thread.
    Her mother was a Welsh speaker

Moaned about the English

And voted tory

Never forget you're Welsh

Isn't it