+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Yma O Hyd

Re: Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I quite like it at Wales games - but hate it played down the city....relate more to cardiff born cardiff bred.
    Yeah I think it suits a Wales match for sure, they travel down from up north in good numbers aswell. I bet they love it, the ones I know really enjoy coming down here for a big night….

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I quite like it at Wales games - but hate it played down the city....relate more to cardiff born cardiff bred.
    Men of Harlech christ that's dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Men of Harlech christ that's dreadful
    Yes that’s terrible…. It would perhaps be more tolerable if people sang the words

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Yes that’s terrible…. It would perhaps be more tolerable if people sang the words
    That's not going to happen , it's more than one line

Our lot can't cope 😢

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Very powerful song with the crowd generating a great atmosphere. Pity about the bloke at 2.00 into the clip who is more preoccupied with his phone than the fervour of the occasion.
    Depends what he was using his phone for really doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    I quite like the Hennessy clip. Yes, it's old school and stereotypical, but he's as much a part of Cardiff - more, arguably - as Dafydd Iwan, and I say that as a proud Welsh speaker who'd love nothing more than to see more people use the language. Yma o Hyd is a tub-thumping anthem that I've shouted (my voice is awful) more times than I care to remember, but the club and city represent Welsh speakers and non-Welsh speakers alike. To be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised the song seems to have been adopted so readily by non-Welsh speakers.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm starting to get a bit concerned that Yma o Hyd is becoming too mainstream and far too overplayed. It's an awful comparison, but it feels like our version of Sweet Caroline, which used to be a nice song, but is now played everywhere, from numerous betting adverts to every England game.
    You are not rationing a chocolate bar during world War 2, you don't have to savour it.

Nowhere near the level that sweet Caroline is used.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Let’s be honest, anyone and everyone in Wales who wants to learn to speak Welsh can do so. But the vast majority of us just can’t be arsed.
    That means going out of your own way to learn a skill. Not the same as being taught in school, people are more likely to bother if it is being taught.

I've fancied learning a language for ages, but I question my desire because I never actually get around to doing it even at times I've got hours spare in a day..it's the effort that puts me off. Not many people go out of their way to make extra effort..

Many English speaking Welsh people talk about learning the language and quite a few try

But life throws up many things and if I 2as asked if I wanted to try and learn the language I would say I don't have the time or interest

I would rather go for a walk , go fishing or learn to cook as I am a crap cook

Welsh doesn't interest me at all

That doesn't mean that I don't think kids should use the language and pass it on

However the double printing of official forms in Welsh and English is a waste of money especially in South East Wales and the Valleys as are the bilingual answering services on gp phonelines , local council offices , social services etc

Barry ?

Bridgend ?

I know about 20 Welsh speakers , all of them speak English, it's daft

I could understand it in Llanberis or Caernarfon
    Why is it a waste of money?
    Why should someone who wants to fill in forms in their own language have to do it in English.
    Would you expect a bi lingual French man to fill it one in English just because he can.
    As for the waste of time in South East Wales and the Valleys statement that shows an ignorance on your part.
    You under estimate how many welsh speakers there are in these areas.

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    Why is it a waste of money?
    Why should someone who wants to fill in forms in their own language have to do it in English.
    Would you expect a bi lingual French man to fill it one in English just because he can.
    As for the waste of time in South East Wales and the Valleys statement that shows an ignorance on your part.
    You under estimate how many welsh speakers there are in these areas.
    I would have bilingual forms and council services in predominantly welsh speaking areas but in most of South Wales I think it's a daft box ticking exercise

Most welsh speakers I know don't bother with S4C and certainly don't fill in forms in welsh

WTF is the point of having a woman on the council telephone answering machine in Bridgend speak to you in welsh ?

Carmarthen I can dig that

Many English speaking Welsh people talk about learning the language and quite a few try

But life throws up many things and if I 2as asked if I wanted to try and learn the language I would say I don't have the time or interest

I would rather go for a walk , go fishing or learn to cook as I am a crap cook

Welsh doesn't interest me at all

That doesn't mean that I don't think kids should use the language and pass it on

However the double printing of official forms in Welsh and English is a waste of money especially in South East Wales and the Valleys as are the bilingual answering services on gp phonelines , local council offices , social services etc

Barry ?

Bridgend ?

I know about 20 Welsh speakers , all of them speak English, it's daft

I could understand it in Llanberis or Caernarfon
    But surely every Welsh speaker has the right in our country to receive government/council forms/literature etc in Welsh? What a poor country we would be if we denied Welsh speakers the opportunity to use Welsh as it's a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    But surely every Welsh speaker has the right in our country to receive government/council forms/literature etc in Welsh? What a poor country we would be if we denied Welsh speakers the opportunity to use Welsh as it's a waste of money.
    Well I don't think it's as clear cut as that

The vast majority of forms in Welsh from government agencies that arrive on the doorstep in South East Wales go in the recycling

In South West Wales it's almost certainly going to be that a fair amount are used as Welsh is the dominant language in Carmarthenshire etc

I think in an area where Welsh is spoken hugely as a living language Welsh speakers should be provided with Welsh forms

But what's the point of spending money on Welsh council forms where the language isn't used on a day to day basis

Apart from the pontcanna taffia District where in Cardiff are people conversing in Welsh on a level that justifies spending money on forms , signage etc ?

I just think it's daft and doesn't do anything to strengthen the language

Welsh will never die now , it will always be here as the song says , like the country but the way to keep it growing is by teaching people how to speak it in English speaking Wales in schools , night classes etc

We are not going to preserve Welsh by having council tax forms sent out in Welsh

It's just a waste of money that could be spent on teaching or promoting the language . Having a form come through your door in Welsh isn't going to do that .

I would have bilingual forms and council services in predominantly welsh speaking areas but in most of South Wales I think it's a daft box ticking exercise

Most welsh speakers I know don't bother with S4C and certainly don't fill in forms in welsh

WTF is the point of having a woman on the council telephone answering machine in Bridgend speak to you in welsh ?

Carmarthen I can dig that
    Nobody in Bridgend speaks Welsh?
    That's funny because there were bus loads from Bridgend and Maesteg in my school.
    More people speak welsh in Wales than fish.
    So on that bssis what is the point of fishing?
    Just because you don't use a service doesn't mean that others don't

The vast majority of forms in Welsh from government agencies that arrive on the doorstep in South East Wales go in the recycling

In South West Wales it's almost certainly going to be that a fair amount are used as Welsh is the dominant language in Carmarthenshire etc

I think in an area where Welsh is spoken hugely as a living language Welsh speakers should be provided with Welsh forms

But what's the point of spending money on Welsh council forms where the language isn't used on a day to day basis

Apart from the pontcanna taffia District where in Cardiff are people conversing in Welsh on a level that justifies spending money on forms , signage etc ?

Welsh will never die now , it will always be here as the song says , like the country but the way to keep it growing is by teaching people how to speak it in English speaking Wales in schools , night classes etc

We are not going to preserve Welsh by having council tax forms sent out in Welsh

It's just a waste of money that could be spent on teaching or promoting the language . Having a form come through your door in Welsh isn't going to do that .
    Disgraceful attitude.

So, just for the record, you think it's a waste of money for Welsh speakers to be able to communicate in Welsh for government/local authority services in predominantly non Welsh speaking areas? Would you also get rid of Welsh language council phone lines in councils where Welsh speakers are in a minority?

Disgraceful attitude.
    It certainly is.

How many other countries in the world would have people suggesting their own people should be denied the opportunity to use their own language?

I must of watched it 20 times on YouTube. I was lucky enough too be there on the night it was amazing. Comments on social media from all parts of the world are saying how passionate the Welsh fans are. We may not be the best team in the world but our passion and songs like Yma O Hyd sets us apart from all others

Nobody in Bridgend speaks Welsh?
    That's funny because there were bus loads from Bridgend and Maesteg in my school.
    More people speak welsh in Wales than fish.
    So on that bssis what is the point of fishing?
    Just because you don't use a service doesn't mean that others don't
    Well I certainly havnt said that nobody in Bridgend speaks Welsh

There a shop in Bridgend , a little shop on the cobbled Bridge over the river . It's a welsh shop selling Welsh stuff . It's the only shop of its kind in Bridgend . I certainly hope it survives but its not going to be kept going by people getting sent forms from Bridgend Council in Welsh.

Disgraceful attitude.
    I don't think there's anything disgraceful about stating that spending money on bilingual Council forms that in many places are simply thrown in the bin is daft

I would spend the money on night classes to help people speak Welsh

Spending money on council tax forms in Welsh in Splott is ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I think Yma O Hyd is a dreadful dirge and, considering the lyrics, I find it more than a little ironic that it gets sung at Welsh football matches.
    Yeah let's have GSTQ instead unless you have a better suggestion. which I doubt.

So, just for the record, you think it's a waste of money for Welsh speakers to be able to communicate in Welsh for government/local authority services in predominantly non Welsh speaking areas?

Yes it's daft

Would you also get rid of Welsh language council phone lines in councils where Welsh speakers are in a minority?
    Yep

You also phone up the doctors locally and you have 3 minutes of a recorded message in Welsh then English

It's ridiculous

I don't think there's anything disgraceful about stating that spending money on bilingual Council forms that in many places are simply thrown in the bin is daft

What would be the point in the classes? In your World there'd be no form in Welsh for the students to fill in.

It certainly is.

How many other countries in the world would have people suggesting their own people should be denied the opportunity to use their own language?
    I am not saying that though

I am saying in predominantly English speaking areas of South Wales drop all the silly box ticking nonsense

There are loads of ways Welsh speaking people can use the language as a living language

Try finding a Welsh speaking member of staff to deal with your council tax problem in say Barry

Good luck with that

You do realise there a welsh school in Splott?
    There are welsh speaking clubs in Cardiff plus sport teams but you think no welsh is spoke there? Weird

As for forms thrown in the bin most are welsh on.one side and English on the other.
    I find it strange that because you don't speak welsh then using forms in the language should stop.

Yep

You also phone up the doctors locally and you have 3 minutes of a recorded message in Welsh then English

It's ridiculous
    I tell you what is ridiculous, denying Welsh speakers the opportunity to use Welsh.

The Welsh language has been on its arse in recent decades because, in part, people have been denied the opportunity to use the language. We now have an act giving Welsh equal prominence with English. It ensures anyone who wants to be able to use the medium of Welsh to communicate with publicly funded organisations are able to do so as a fundamental right. You want to remove that right from Welsh speakers. What effect will that have on the language? Not a positive one. A language dies a word at a time.

You clearly don't agree with Welsh speakers having this right - it's a waste of money.

Funnily enough, about 10 years ago I used to have the same opinion as you. I have radically changed my mind on the subject. My wife speaks Welsh. She chooses to communicate with our council in Welsh. I would never deny her that opportunity. I have Welsh speaking friends who do the same.

I am not saying that though

I am saying in predominantly English speaking areas of South Wales drop all the silly box ticking nonsense

There are loads of ways Welsh speaking people can use the language as a living language

Try finding a Welsh speaking member of staff to deal with your council tax problem in say Barry

Good luck with that
    There are Welsh speakers all over South Wales, if a Welsh speaker wants a form /phone message in Welsh they should be able to have it.

The moment you stop providing that service the language will quietly start to die.