+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Yma O Hyd

Re: Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Why?
    Could it be that you feel that there is some sort of bad feeling between non-speakers and speakers of the language.
    Could it be that there is some sort of snobbery surrounding the Welsh speaking migrants sweeping through Pontcanna and Canton which fuels this feeling? Shirley not.

The fact that there are people in Wales that do not speak Welsh is no fault of theirs, but the past education system here.

Non-Welsh speaking people have been singing Mae hen wlad fy nhadau for years so why would they not join their Welsh speaking compatriots in such a heart-warming anthem?

Cymru am byth
    Pontcanna , dreadful place , minor media celebrity land

The fact that there are people in Wales that do not speak Welsh is no fault of theirs, but the past education system here.
    Let’s be honest, anyone and everyone in Wales who wants to learn to speak Welsh can do so. But the vast majority of us just can’t be arsed.

Why?
    Could it be that you feel that there is some sort of bad feeling between non-speakers and speakers of the language.
    Could it be that there is some sort of snobbery surrounding the Welsh speaking migrants sweeping through Pontcanna and Canton which fuels this feeling? Shirley not.

Non-Welsh speaking people have been singing Mae hen wlad fy nhadau for years so why would they not join their Welsh speaking compatriots in such a heart-warming anthem?

Cymru am byth
    As a Welsh-speaker growing up in the Valleys, I was always aware of being in the minority. There remains a growing number of Welsh Primary and Secondary Schools in traditionally non-Welsh speaking areas of Wales, where the schools are effectively gulags, with the language only really being used in the classroom. Once the kids leave the school gate, the language is left behind. Going off on a tangent, my mother, who was from Maesteg, campaigned for a Welsh unit in a primary school in the mid-80s and was told by the then-Labour MP Allan Rogers to "go back to Welsh Wales, love". The irony of the same politician opening said unit a year later has never been lost on me.

I guess I've always been aware that the language is a divisive issue in Wales. As I said, I would love to see more people in Wales speak the language - and I use it whenever and wherever I can - but I'm always conscious of ramming the language down people's throat, so to speak. It's not for everyone, hence why I thought Yma O Hyd might not be "i ddant pawb", as we say in Welsh (i.e to everyone's taste). It was in no way meant to be a sinister or snobbish comment, I can assure you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Let’s be honest, anyone and everyone in Wales who wants to learn to speak Welsh can do so. But the vast majority of us just can’t be arsed.
    if I had a magic pill that I could take and instantly be fluent in any one language, I probably still wouldn't choose Welsh .

it'd be in my top 3 probably though

Having been taught Welsh between the ages of twelve and thirteen, I reckon I’d still be trying to master it now if I’d continued with my studies, Duw, it was hard.

I took French and Latin for those two years in school as well and found them both a lot easier to pick up than Welsh which struck me very much as a language you needed to be taught at the earliest age possible.

Learning a language properly takes time and a lot of regular practice. Once a week isn't enough.

Many people don't have the free time to give to it, even if they want to - for example job and family commitments eating up the vast majority of their time. I wouldn't say that anyone who hasn't learned simply can't be arsed

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    It's not for everyone, hence why I thought Yma O Hyd might not be "i ddant pawb", as we say in Welsh (i.e to everyone's taste).
    I think Yma O Hyd is a dreadful dirge and, considering the lyrics, I find it more than a little ironic that it gets sung at Welsh football matches. But, as you say, each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I wouldn't say that anyone who hasn't learned simply can't be arsed
    I didn’t say anyone, I said the vast majority of us can’t be arsed, and I stand by that 100%.

Fair play to anyone who has tried to learn Welsh and has had to give up due to time constraints or simply because they found it too difficult, but I think we both know that most of us haven’t given the notion a second thought since we left school.

I didn’t say anyone, I said the vast majority of us can’t be arsed, and I stand by that 100%.

Fair play to anyone who has tried to learn Welsh and has had to give up due to time constraints or simply because they found it too difficult, but I think we both know that most of us haven’t given the notion a second thought since we left school.
    Most English language people find learning Welsh very difficult

Often people coming from abroad with English as a second language pick up Welsh with relative ease

As a Welsh-speaker growing up in the Valleys, I was always aware of being in the minority. There remains a growing number of Welsh Primary and Secondary Schools in traditionally non-Welsh speaking areas of Wales, where the schools are effectively gulags, with the language only really being used in the classroom. Once the kids leave the school gate, the language is left behind. Going off on a tangent, my mother, who was from Maesteg, campaigned for a Welsh unit in a primary school in the mid-80s and was told by the then-Labour MP Allan Rogers to "go back to Welsh Wales, love". The irony of the same politician opening said unit a year later has never been lost on me.

I guess I've always been aware that the language is a divisive issue in Wales. As I said, I would love to see more people in Wales speak the language - and I use it whenever and wherever I can - but I'm always conscious of ramming the language down people's throat, so to speak. It's not for everyone, hence why I thought Yma O Hyd might not be "i ddant pawb", as we say in Welsh (i.e to everyone's taste). It was in no way meant to be a sinister or snobbish comment, I can assure you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that depends entirely on your definition of better
    Real

My son is in Derbyn, and his Welsh is coming on really well, however , I do resonate with your “gulag” and comment, as in as soon as he leaves school he reverts to speaking English even with his Welsh speaking class friends.

We as parents are learning Welsh however , is so difficult to pick up. That said I’m proud as punch with his progress.

I wish I could.
    But, as mentioned, being born in 1954 I had no opportunity to learn while in school, I then spent my college years and much of my working lie in England.
    Shortly after moving to Cardiff I suffered a stroke, limiting my mobility and losing my driving licence.
    I wolud love to learn , even now, but mobility problems are a major hindrance.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    My son is in Derbyn, and his Welsh is coming on really well, however , I do resonate with your “gulag” and comment, as in as soon as he leaves school he reverts to speaking English even with his Welsh speaking class friends.

We as parents are learning Welsh however , is so difficult to pick up. That said I’m proud as punch with his progress.
    Great to hear you're all learning the language. I was lucky enough to have been brought up in a bilingual household, where I spoke to Welsh to Mam and English to Dad. Like any language, I can well imagine it is difficult to learn. As someone else has said on here, hopefully being bilingual your kids (and you, as parents) may find it slightly easier learning a third language such as French or German, if and when that time comes.

Pob lwc!

Many English speaking Welsh people talk about learning the language and quite a few try

But life throws up many things and if I 2as asked if I wanted to try and learn the language I would say I don't have the time or interest

I would rather go for a walk , go fishing or learn to cook as I am a crap cook

Welsh doesn't interest me at all

That doesn't mean that I don't think kids should use the language and pass it on

However the double printing of official forms in Welsh and English is a waste of money especially in South East Wales and the Valleys as are the bilingual answering services on gp phonelines , local council offices , social services etc

Barry ?

Bridgend ?

I know about 20 Welsh speakers , all of them speak English, it's daft

I could understand it in Llanberis or Caernarfon

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well I think you are being disingenuous to the very people you are talking about who feel they have every right to cock their nose up at Rugby as that's exactly what they have been subject to

You have already yourself listed bullying sports teachers not allowing youngsters to play football and the media overkill

Are you saying those points you raised are not valid ?

Or they are but because YOU don't let it bother you then all those people with a disdain for Welsh rugby have to like it or lump it ?

As far as I am concerned if one of city or Swansea supporting mates say I fecking can't stand rugby I don't agree 100 percent but I can see why they give it the elbow .
    The Rugby haters are in a minority among City fans. The majority i know (and that’s a lot) tend to like, and watch both.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Having been taught Welsh between the ages of twelve and thirteen, I reckon I’d still be trying to master it now if I’d continued with my studies, Duw, it was hard.

I took French and Latin for those two years in school as well and found them both a lot easier to pick up than Welsh which struck me very much as a language you needed to be taught at the earliest age possible.
    I was taught Welsh for 4 years in Primary School in Llanishen around 1960 and then 2 years in secondary. Since then I learnt French and Latin and lived in Germany for 8.5 years in the 80's. My French is ok now as I'm often in France, my German pretty good and I can order food and drink in Spanish and Italian.

Sadly my Welsh is limited to half a dozen sentences and understanding some of the sports commentary on S4C.

Wonderful song and great atmosphere and wish I understood all the words to do it justice. TIB

Why turn a perfectly good thread into a football v rugby battle. Childish from any side that resorts to this.

This song is all about bringing Wales together to show we’re still here….not still here apart from those rugby/football lot. Grow up

And on the note of the Welsh language I’m embarrassed that I’ve never learnt it. I was taught French in school, ****ing French.

I was on the fence but this video has tipped me over and I’m starting to learn Welsh in the next few weeks.

I’ve not been in the stadium for a Welsh game since 2019 so I think I’ve missed the introduction of Yma O Hyd. When did it start and was there any stimulus (BBC Wales TV preview maybe)?

Anyone know what the song is actually about? My 10 year old said he sang it in school on st david’s day recently and it’s something along the lines of “I’m still here”….

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Anyone know what the song is actually about? My 10 year old said he sang it in school on st david’s day recently and it’s something along the lines of “I’m still here”….
    I found this the other day, I bookmarked it

Still Here

You don't remember Macsen,1
    nobody knows him.
    One thousand and six hundred years,
    a time too long to remember.
    When Magnus Maximus2 left Wales,
    in the year 383,
    leaving us a whole nation,
    and today - look at us!

We are still here,
    we are still here,
    in spite of everyone and everything,
    in spite of everyone and everything.
    We are still here,
    we are still here,
    We are still here.

Let the wind blow from the East,3
    let the storm roar from the sea,
    let the lightning split the heavens,
    and the thunder shout "encore!"
    Let the tears of the faint-hearted flow,
    and the servile lick the floor.
    Despite the blackness around us,
    we are ready for the breaking of the dawn!

We are still here,
    we are still here,
    We are still here,
    we are still here,
    We are still here.

We remember that Macsen the Emperor
    left our country in one whole piece.
    And we shall shout before the nations,
    "We'll be here until Judgement Day!"
    Despite every Dic Siôn Dafydd,4
    despite old Maggie5 and her crew,
    we'll be here until the end of time,
    and the Welsh language will be alive!

We are still here,
    we are still here,
    We are still here,
    we are still here,
    We are still here,
    we are still here,
    We are still here,
    we are still here,
    in spite of everyone and everything...

1. The Welsh name for Magnus Maximus, Macsen Wledig. See below.
    2. Welsh emperor of the Western Roman Empire, 383-388.
    3. Referring to the Anglo-Saxon settlements east of Welsh territory.
    4. A character in a poem of the Welsh satirical poet Jac Glan-y-gors.
    5. Margaret Thatcher, prime minister of the United Kingdom, 1979-1990.
    https://lyricstranslate.com/en/yma-o...till-here.html

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    And on the note of the Welsh language I’m embarrassed that I’ve never learnt it. I was taught French in school, ****ing French.

I was on the fence but this video has tipped me over and I’m starting to learn Welsh in the next few weeks.
    I did Welsh History ( or a form of it ) in Barry boys Comp ( instead of a language ) got me fairly interested in learning more ( this was before the interweb ) and got me fairly deep into the Free Wales army / Meibion Glyndwr

my daughter is learning welsh at the mo, kids pick up languages fairly easy, she is doing Spanish in school and Welsh at home

I quite like it at Wales games - but hate it played down the city....relate more to cardiff born cardiff bred.