+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Yma O Hyd

Re: Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'm aware of that. But who is the author of Yma O Hyd referring to? Who are the 'Dic Sion Dafydds' as far as he and those who champion this song concerned? What is the context?
    Its from a music sheet site, but this is what they have said

Dic Siôn Dafydd – (literal translation: “Richard son of John son of David” - is a term of abuse applied to a Welshman who denies his native language and speaks only English. In other words, a traitor.

The term originates from a one Dic Siôn Dafydd who left Wales to became a draper in London. His pomposity led him to claim that he had forgotten how to speak Welsh, and on a visit to his mother in Wales who spoke only Welsh he insisted on speaking English.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Its from a music sheet site, but this is what they have said

Dic Siôn Dafydd – (literal translation: “Richard son of John son of David” - is a term of abuse applied to a Welshman who denies his native language and speaks only English. In other words, a traitor.

The term originates from a one Dic Siôn Dafydd who left Wales to became a draper in London. His pomposity led him to claim that he had forgotten how to speak Welsh, and on a visit to his mother in Wales who spoke only Welsh he insisted on speaking English.
    Oh God you've just added another 5 pages to this thread

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Im here all day

Jesus Christ, overthinking this a bit aren't we some of you?
    Bit touchy, aren't you?

Are you a Welsh speaker of a servile, floor-licking Dic Sion Dafydd?

Bit touchy, aren't you?
    Says the one demanding explanations of lyrics a week after the game

Just let people enjoy things, it's fine

Says the one demanding explanations of lyrics a week after the game
    It's merely a discussion. If you don't like it, find yourself another thread.

It's merely a discussion. If you don't like it, find yourself another thread.
    Oh I like it just fine, my contribution to the discussion is that you're overthinking it and should let people enjoy things. If you don't like that, find yourself another thread

Oh I like it just fine....
    Stop whinging, then.

Does anyone remember that druid bloke Dr Robyn Lewis who was prominent in the Welsh language Society alongside Ffred Ffrancis ?

He used to write into the western mail and described anyone living in Wales who didn't speak welsh as a monoglot and a colonialist

Daft old sod , probably dead now

He hated the English so much he studied at university college London, England

Mind you we do have the people who say they walk into pubs and shops in Welsh speaking areas and THEY .....start speaking in Welsh

I have never experienced that , I think it's a myth and quite frankly if you go into a pub in a Welsh speaking area and the locals are speaking Welsh then it seems perfectly normal I would have thought .

Used to go on holiday when I was younger to Newquay West Wales with my mate and his family who were from Birmingham but moved down here when my mate was a kid

His old man loved Wales, soon became a regular at Cardiff City

It's only a line on a map really

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    A whiter shade of Bale would sound quite stirring coming from the Canton end in full voice.
    A Paler Shade of White wouldn’t go amiss about ten to five on Saturday afternoon.

We're in the middle of something here Sludge, bit rude to interrupt tbh

What's happening , I am on heavy duty painkillers at the moment and totally off my face

Don’t talk to Sludge ap Factory like that

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Does anyone remember that druid bloke Dr Robyn Lewis who was prominent in the Welsh language Society alongside Ffred Ffrancis ?

He used to write into the western mail and described anyone living in Wales who didn't speak welsh as a monoglot and a colonialist

Mind you we do have the people who say they walk into pubs and shops in Welsh speaking areas and THEY .....start speaking in Welsh

I have never experienced that , I think it's a myth and quite frankly if you go into a pub in a Welsh speaking area and the locals are speaking Welsh then it seems perfectly normal I would have thought .

Used to go on holiday when I was younger to Newquay West Wales with my mate and his family who were from Birmingham but moved down here when my mate was a kid

Enjoy your monologues Sludge but for some reason this came to mind!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1035805923833524224

If the translation I've read is accurate, one section of the song goes as follows:

"Let the tears of the faint-hearted flow and the servile lick the floor."

So who does Dafydd Iwan regard as the faint-hearted and the servile?

That's followed with:

"Despite the blackness around us, we are ready for the breaking of the dawn!"

What is the blackness around us? And what does the line about the breaking of the dawn signify?

Another line says:

"Despite every Dic Siôn Dafydd...."

What does the song's author mean by that?
    my understanding is the faint hearted and servile are people who welcome English "oppression"

the blackness around us would be English "oppression" or the fact that Wales barely exists as a nation these days

the breaking of the dawn would be being ready for when Wales rises again as a strong independent nation

DIC Sion dafydd was a character in a poem who was Welsh but ashamed of his welshness, and tried to hide it, even to the point of only speaking in English to his own mother who only spoke Welsh. sort of a Welsh version of an Uncle Tom kind of character.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

My ex (in the 70's) was from Bagshot, Surrey, as were most of her family - but her mum was from Pembrokeshire and spoke Welsh.
    On a visit to the mum's family, they were in a pub down west, and were speaking English, as only the mum could speak Welsh.
    Bar staff and locals were speaking Welsh and were not too complimentary about the little group of "Englanders".
    So when they were leving, although they knew perfectly well where they were going, mum went up to the bar and loudly asked for directions - in Welsh! Queue chins dropping to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    my understanding is the faint hearted and servile are people who welcome English "oppression"

the blackness around us would be English "oppression" or the fact that Wales barely exists as a nation these days

the breaking of the dawn would be being ready for when Wales rises again as a strong independent nation

DIC Sion dafydd was a character in a poem who was Welsh but ashamed of his welshness, and tried to hide it, even to the point of only speaking in English to his own mother who only spoke Welsh. sort of a Welsh version of an Uncle Tom kind of character.
    I thought Dawn was some bird. The faint hearted were those living under the Welsh NHS, the blackness was coal

I thought Dawn was some bird. The faint hearted were those living under the Welsh NHS, the blackness was coal
    Maybe the Welsh FA shouldn't get Dafydd Iwan back for the final, at this rate people will spend the entire first half debating the lyrics instead of watching the game

no you didn't

Is this a safe place for me to say that it's possible to be pro-independent but hate tub-thumping nationalism?

Can't say I recall A Whiter Shade of Pale being sung at Welsh internationals, but I've missed a fair few in recent years.
    Didn’t you like the shirts?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    no you didn't

Oh I like it just fine, my contribution to the discussion is that you're overthinking it and should let people enjoy things. If you don't like that, find yourself another thread
    You haven't always got to be a smart arse you know.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Didn’t you like the shirts?
    The shirts were fine. Didn’t think much of the songs, though. I preferred Can’t Take My Eyes Off You.