+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: WALES 1 - 1 CZECH REPUBLIC. Match thread

FT: WALES 1 - 1 CZECH REPUBLIC. Match thread

Tuesday March 29th, ko 7:45pm, Cardiff City Stadium.

Live on Sky and S4C.

Opta stats

• This will be only the second non-competitive encounter between Wales and Czech Republic (including as Czechoslovakia), and first since a goalless draw at the Millennium Stadium in March 2002.
    • Wales have only won one of their last eight meetings with Czech Republic in all competitions (including as Czechoslovakia), a 2-1 World Cup qualifying win in March 2021 (D4 L3).
    • Including as Czechoslovakia, Czech Republic have only won one of their eight international away games against Wales (D3 L4), a 3-1 European Championship qualifying victory in April 1971.
    • Wales are unbeaten in eight matches in all competitions (W4 D4); they haven't enjoyed a longer run without defeat since October 2017 (run of nine).
    • After losing 1-0 in extra-time to Sweden last time out, Czech Republic are looking to avoid suffering back-to-back international defeats for the first time since March/June 2021, when one of those defeats was to Wales.
    • Wales have only won one of their last six international friendlies (D3 L2), a 1-0 win over Mexico in March 2021. The Dragons have only scored one goal in those six matches.
    • Gareth Bale has played 321 minutes of international football for Wales since August 2021, more than he has at club level for Real Madrid in 2021-22 (270). Bale has scored five goals in his last four international matches for Wales, more than he had in his previous 28 such appearances beforehand (four goals).
    • Jan Sıkora has scored three goals in his last three internationals for Czech Republic, this despite coming on as a substitute in each of those matches. Sıkora netted a brace in a friendly against Kuwait and once against Estonia in a World Cup qualifier, both in November 2021.

Re: WALES v CZECH REPUBLIC. Match thread

Are we fielding the 'B' team?

Just been down the ticket office, steady queue for tickets and plenty available

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Tuesday March 29th, ko 7:45pm, Cardiff City Stadium.

Live on Sky and S4C.

Opta stats

• This will be only the second non-competitive encounter between Wales and Czech Republic (including as Czechoslovakia), and first since a goalless draw at the Millennium Stadium in March 2002.
    • Wales have only won one of their last eight meetings with Czech Republic in all competitions (including as Czechoslovakia), a 2-1 World Cup qualifying win in March 2021 (D4 L3).
    • Including as Czechoslovakia, Czech Republic have only won one of their eight international away games against Wales (D3 L4), a 3-1 European Championship qualifying victory in April 1971.
    • Wales are unbeaten in eight matches in all competitions (W4 D4); they haven't enjoyed a longer run without defeat since October 2017 (run of nine).
    • After losing 1-0 in extra-time to Sweden last time out, Czech Republic are looking to avoid suffering back-to-back international defeats for the first time since March/June 2021, when one of those defeats was to Wales.
    • Wales have only won one of their last six international friendlies (D3 L2), a 1-0 win over Mexico in March 2021. The Dragons have only scored one goal in those six matches.
    • Gareth Bale has played 321 minutes of international football for Wales since August 2021, more than he has at club level for Real Madrid in 2021-22 (270). Bale has scored five goals in his last four international matches for Wales, more than he had in his previous 28 such appearances beforehand (four goals).
    • Jan Sıkora has scored three goals in his last three internationals for Czech Republic, this despite coming on as a substitute in each of those matches. Sıkora netted a brace in a friendly against Kuwait and once against Estonia in a World Cup qualifier, both in November 2021.
    I thought I was reading the BBC sport app for a second, but there seems to be a few different ones in there. I was having deja vu from this morning reading that just now.

Wales: Hennessey; Mepham, Cabango, Gunter; Thomas, Morrell, Vaulks, Norrington-Davies; Colwill; Matondo, Johnson.

2 current and 2 former Bluebirds in the starting XI, hopefully Mark Harris can get some minutes

Interesting front 3

No Ramsey on the bench? Good thing we’re not playing the final today…

With Sorba Thoman and Norrington-Davies playing is gunter being used at CB?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Looks like it. Three centre backs with two wing backs. It’s not a bad side considering it’s the reserves.

The selected team might be only the second in Welsh international football to have what?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Looks like it. Three centre backs with two wing backs. It’s not a bad side considering it’s the reserves.
    There's enough going on to make it interesting. I will be paying attention to the front three and the two younger centre backs, plus Sorba.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The selected team might be only the second in Welsh international football to have what?
    X number of players below the age of 25?

Two players with 100 or more caps?

Two players who's name ends with O?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Two players with 100 or more caps?
    It might be, but that’s not what I had in mind - this is more at the opposite end of the scale really.

X number of players below the age of 25?
    No, this has happened at least once in Welsh football history (it had to), but it may well have not happened again until tonight.

number of first starts?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Two players who's name ends with O?
    Again, a possibility, but I’d guess that might be a first.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    number of first starts?
    No, this is something that hasn’t happened.

The game’s starting soon so I’ll give the answer now - I think I’m right in saying that this side has no one in it who has scored a full international goal (don’t even think they’ve scored an og between them).

The game’s starting soon so I’ll give the answer now - I think I’m right in saying that this side has no one in it who has scored a full international goal (don’t even think they’ve scored an og between them).
    Aw just came here to type it as the commentators just gave it away on s4c!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Gunter is more suited to centre back, he played there against Belgium in the Euro 2016 qualifiers and was excellent

Youve got to love Will Vaulks. 3 mins in and should be booked already.😂😂😂

How I saw them doing it, just got in from the chippy so not seen the shape of the team yet.