+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Oscars Punch Up

Re: Oscars Punch Up

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The people you went with had to tell you to keep calm? I guess I'm not surprised as you were praising Smith earlier in the thread.

Front row of a comedy club is the closest any of us are likely to come to this situation - unless you're going to tell us that someone you met at Disney invited you to the Oscars once
    I think you've stretched the keep calm comment quite a bit there to suit your point.

It may be the closest we come to having a comedian rip the piss into us, but it is expected in the situation. Perhaps Smith wasn't expecting to go to an award ceremony and get taken the piss out of, 2 different situations I think.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I think you've stretched the keep calm comment quite a bit there to suit your point.

It may be the closest we come to having a comedian rip the piss into us, but it is expected in the situation. Perhaps Smith wasn't expecting to go to an award ceremony and get taken the piss out of, 2 different situations I think.
    Expected in the situation? Has it happened before?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Wasn't Chris Rock expressing his right to free speech though? Or is what Will Smith did fine because he's just proving that actions have consequences? But doesn't that make him a snowflake for getting offended by a joke? Love seeing people twist themselves in knots about this

Yep

Expected in the situation? Has it happened before?
    Yes the Gervais roasts, I am aware.

All a bit silly though isn't it, you are going to collect an award, nit be taken the oiss out of. If you go ti a comedy club then it definitely IS to be expected isn't it.

Yes the Gervais roasts, I am aware.

All a bit silly though isn't it, you are going to collect an award, nit be taken the oiss out of. If you go ti a comedy club then it definitely IS to be expected isn't it.
    I thought you meant Smith's reaction was expected in the circumstances.

But I wouldn't agree with your second paragraph. Surely a celebrity at an awards show is more likely to be the butt of a joke at some point than an average punter in a comedy club.

You’re getting your rippings and takings all jumbled up as well as your into’s and out of’s.🙄

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    So if you were in a comedy show and laughing for 30 minutes at other people misfortune at the butt of the jokes, that's cool. The minute the comedian turns to you and your wife though, that's off limits? Or you would be outraged the very first joke where anybody was the the butt of the joke?
    There is a difference between piss-taking and making fun of how someone looks because of a health problem. The latter is not funny. And should be off-limits. So yes, I may have laughed at a few jokes about someone making a shit film or whatever. And yes, I would be outraged and angered if someone mocked my wife's physical appearance.

The people you went with had to tell you to keep calm? I guess I'm not surprised as you were praising Smith earlier in the thread.

not sure what you mean by that, I had never been to a comedy club before, so I didnt know they " roast " the front row, so my mate warned me

Front row of a comedy club is the closest any of us are likely to come to this situation - unless you're going to tell us that someone you met at Disney invited you to the Oscars once
    but its not the same is it, Will was heavily tipped to win a Oscar for best actor, how you can compare that to a trip to a comedy club and sitting in the front row is laughable and bordering on idiotic

No, Ive never been invited to the Oscars

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    There is a difference between piss-taking and making fun of how someone looks because of a health problem. The latter is not funny. And should be off-limits. So yes, I may have laughed at a few jokes about someone making a shit film or whatever. And yes, I would be outraged and angered if someone mocked my wife's physical appearance.
    I can't believe anyone would argue with that

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    not sure what you mean by that, I had never been to a comedy club before, so I didnt know they " roast " the front row, so my mate warned me

warned you to "keep it calm". Wonder what he meant

but its not the same is it, Will was heavily tipped to win a Oscar for best actor, how you can compare that to a trip to a comedy club and sitting in the front row is laughable and bordering on idiotic

No, Ive never been invited to the Oscars
    Wouldn't you say it's the closest that any of us would come to having a comedian making a joke about us in front of an audience? If we can only comment on things that we directly experienced ourselves, this board would have died years ago

Take the piss out of some strangers partner in a public setting lardy etc and see what happens. I'd wager a good percent of the incidents if you went to aloud of random pubs, supermarkets, housing estates, town centres etc up and down the country would result in the bloke getting rather annoyed and at a minimum you'd get a torrent of verbal abuse.

Not saying that's the correct way to behave but it's inevitable that people will want to defend their partner and not many of them will follow the same views as a few posters on here.

I wouldn't dream of offending someone's partner, even for the greater good of an experiment, I reckon o could get lardy to punch me within 2 minutes of opening my mouth, just to prove a point. But I wouldn't lower myself to offend his wife to fond out. But I am convinced he would resort to violence like Smith if it happened absolutely 100 percent, goes for most on here who claim to be holier than thou and live like perfect saints.

Take the piss out of some strangers partner in a public setting lardy etc and see what happens. I'd wager a good percent of the incidents if you went to aloud of random pubs, supermarkets, housing estates, town centres etc up and down the country would result in the bloke getting rather annoyed and at a minimum you'd get a torrent of verbal abuse.

Not saying that's the correct way to behave but it's inevitable that people will want to defend their partner and not many of them will follow the same views as a few posters on here.

I wouldn't dream of offending someone's partner, even for the greater good of an experiment, I reckon o could get lardy to punch me within 2 minutes of opening my mouth, just to prove a point. But I wouldn't lower myself to offend his wife to fond out. But I am convinced he would resort to violence like Smith if it happened absolutely 100 percent, goes for most on here who claim to be holier than thou and live like perfect saints.

Wow

warned you to "keep it calm". Wonder what he meant

to keep calm and not take offence

Wouldn't you say it's the closest that any of us would come to having a comedian making a joke about us in front of an audience? If we can only comment on things that we directly experienced ourselves, this board would have died years ago
    It was the Oscars though, he was tipped to win the best actor, he wasn't expecting some Comedian to make fun of his wife's illness with some cheap joke

Oh his wife was insulted by a comedian, so its like mere mortals going to a comedy club and sitting in the front row, you are clutching at straws now and stretching it a little far to a point of embarrassment , but you crack on with it

It's pretty simple

Taking the piss out of something of your own decisions = fair game
    Taking the piss out of something out of your control = not fair game

Wow
    You think Smith is wrong to defend his wife, I think if you were put on the spot you would react the same way. I'm convinced of it.

Do your thing now where you laugh back and try to spin it, but you would 100 percent lose it if the right person offended your partner in front of you.

Shed expect you to defend her, and think less of you deep down if you didn't.

to keep calm and not take offence

It was the Oscars though, he was tipped to win the best actor, he wasn't expecting some Comedian to make fun of his wife's illness with some cheap joke

Oh his wife was insulted by a comedian, so its like mere mortals going to a comedy club and sitting in the front row, you are clutching at straws now and stretching it a little far to a point of embarrassment , but you crack on with it
    It was a cheap joke, but I'm sure Smith regrets his reaction. It should have been the best night of his life, winning Best Actor for the first time, and now all anyone will remember is this.

As goats said earlier in the thread, sort it out backstage.

You think Smith is wrong to defend his wife, I think if you were put on the spot you would react the same way. I'm convinced of it.

Do your thing now where you laugh back and try to spin it, but you would 100 percent lose it if the right person offended your partner in front of you.

I'm laughing because it's barely two hours since you said:

"Your stance is clear. Are you just going to jeep on at everyone that hasa different opinion to you.

You seem offended that people think differently, should we all fall in line with your way of thinking thinking then? People are different. Get on with it. "

and then you're writing 200 words about how you could get me to punch you within 2 minutes to prove a point!

if you are that easily goaded into violence then you should have a good look at yourself IMO

My girlfriend would be f**king livid if I slapped someone who made a joke about her, she'd rather deal with it herself (verbally) not have some guy kick off like she's weak and needs protecting from the nasty man by another man

I'm laughing because it's barely two hours since you said:

"Your stance is clear. Are you just going to jeep on at everyone that hasa different opinion to you.

You seem offended that people think differently, should we all fall in line with your way of thinking thinking then? People are different. Get on with it. "

and then you're writing 200 words about how you could get me to punch you within 2 minutes to prove a point!
    I could.

Every man walking on earth will defend their wife, it just happens that will Smith got wound up, on another occasion he may not have reacted the same, I think if the right buttons are pushed anyone can be cornered to react with violence. Even the holier than thou brigade on ccmb that live utterly perfect lives compared to the rest of South Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    My girlfriend would be f**king livid if I slapped someone who made a joke about her, she'd rather deal with it herself (verbally) not have some guy kick off like she's weak and needs protecting from the nasty man by another man
    I did say in another post even if it's verbal.

I think anyone can be pushed to reacting violently and those that don't want to and walk away from it have thoughts about reacting violently, maybe they just don't have it in them to do it, who knows, but again, if continually pushed they would eventually react with violence.

I could.

Every man walking on earth will defend their wife, it just happens that will Smith got wound up, on another occasion he may not have reacted the same, I think if the right buttons are pushed anyone can be cornered to react with violence. Even the holier than thou brigade on ccmb that live utterly perfect lives compared to the rest of South Wales.
    Congrats, I'm sure that's a very useful skill to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    if you are that easily goaded into violence then you should have a good look at yourself IMO
    Who said I was

I said its easy to do the goading.

Remind me how someone who can't start a game for Altrincham is better than Denham

Go away.

Congrats, I'm sure that's a very useful skill to have.
    You think Smith reacted wrongly, my point is you would do the same if pushed, it doesn't have to be me that was just an example of how easy it can be..

No need to congratulate anyone in that condescending manner you seem to have.

Well done, you are fighting back with your keyboard nearly there champ.

You think Smith reacted wrongly, my point is you would do the same if pushed, it doesn't have to be me that was just an example of how easy it can be..

No need to congratulate anyone in that condescending manner you seem to have.

Well done, you are fighting back with your keyboard nearly there champ.
    Smith also thinks he reacted wrongly, and gave a long apology today.