+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: World cup draw

World cup draw

Because wales aren't playing tomorrow we are automatically classed as a pot 4 team in the draw. Yet if Portugal win tomorrow they will be pot 1 seeds.

Yet again we could be getting stitched up before the draw even starts.

Our fifa ranking of 20 should be pot 3 assuming 16 teams ranked higher have qualified
    Last edited by fugsyphil; 28-03-22 at 21:53. Reason: Autocorrect used a French word!

Re: World cup draw

we were always going to be in pot 4 weren't we?

No if we got through tomorrow we'd be 3 at worst, possibly 2 though highly unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Because wales aren't playing tomorrow we are automatically classed as a pot 4 team in the draw. Yet if Portugal win tomorrow they will be pot 1 seeds.

Our fifa ranking of 20 should be pot 3 assuming 16 teams ranked higher have qualified
    Stick us in pot 5 if it means we're in the competition

Tbf, the two home games in the play offs means there cant really be NY complaints

That's pathetic , how can anyone rate Portugal above Wales ??

No if we got through tomorrow we'd be 3 at worst, possibly 2 though highly unlikely
    Don't think it is as important as the euro draws which pot you are in.
    We will only have 1 other european team In our group as you can only have a maximum of 2 from one continental in any one group.
    Currently 13 of fifa top 20 teams are European including us.
    Therefore we can only get one of the top euro teams like Spain France Belguim or England.
    If we are really lucky we may get Qatar from pot one but all the others will be quality.
    Or we get brazil or Argentina the we avoid the best in Europe.
    Pot 2 will be a mixed bag and that is where we will need a bit of luck.
    We will be ranked higher than any team in pot 3 so hopefully that won't matter so much who we get from there.
    There are plenty of beatable teams from the likes of Asia Central America and Africa.
    As long as we dont get a group of death the quality of the groups will not be as strong as a euro finals.
    I'm more worried about the play off final.
    If we win that the group stage in Qatar should be within our ability to qualify fir the knockout stages.

Wales won't be in the draw.
    The winner of Scotland, Ukraine and Wales will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    You’re right Jim, ridiculous, some numptys have even said that North Macedonia are going to beat European Champions Italy away, madness!!!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    You’re right Jim, ridiculous, some numptys have even said that North Macedonia are going to beat European Champions Italy away, madness!!!
    😃

As it would be the only WC finals some of us will/may ever see Wales in, I favour a group of death to make the most of the glamour.

If we get there and it’s still a big If.
    Not many will rub their hands at the prospect of getting us.

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    Don't think it is as important as the euro draws which pot you are in.
    We will only have 1 other european team In our group as you can only have a maximum of 2 from one continental in any one group.
    Currently 13 of fifa top 20 teams are European including us.
    Therefore we can only get one of the top euro teams like Spain France Belguim or England.
    If we are really lucky we may get Qatar from pot one but all the others will be quality.
    Or we get brazil or Argentina the we avoid the best in Europe.
    Pot 2 will be a mixed bag and that is where we will need a bit of luck.
    We will be ranked higher than any team in pot 3 so hopefully that won't matter so much who we get from there.
    There are plenty of beatable teams from the likes of Asia Central America and Africa.
    As long as we dont get a group of death the quality of the groups will not be as strong as a euro finals.
    I'm more worried about the play off final.
    If we win that the group stage in Qatar should be within our ability to qualify fir the knockout stages.
    Qatar in pot 1?

🤦*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Qatar in pot 1?

🤦*♂️
    That's the pot 1 team to get drawn with then.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    That's the pot 1 team to get drawn with then.
    yep, group A I
    is where you want to be

Wales now gone up to 18'th in World Rankings

2 higher not qualified so we'd be 16 which misses out on pot 2 due to Qatar.
    So we're pot 4 instead of pot3 had we qualified to the normal timetable.

I think not qualifying will be harder to take after being in the draw though

I don’t understand this. Not sure why the delay in playing the play off final makes a difference to our seeding.

Qatar, USA, Iran, Wales please

That would be a laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I don’t understand this. Not sure why the delay in playing the play off final makes a difference to our seeding.
    I think because when the draw's done (tomorrow) they won't know if it's going to be us, Scotland or Ukraine, so they're using the lowest world ranking of the 3 rather than the highest (ours).

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I think because when the draw's done (tomorrow) they won't know if it's going to be us, Scotland or Ukraine, so they're using the lowest world ranking of the 3 rather than the highest (ours).
    FFS. Thanks for explaining though

We are 18 uktlraine 27 Scotland 39

Think that would see us or Ukraine in pot 3 but Scotland would be in pot 4. They've decided pot 4 whoever gets through regardless. That's what was annoying me in the opening post

We are 18 uktlraine 27 Scotland 39

Think that would see us or Ukraine in pot 3 but Scotland would be in pot 4. They've decided pot 4 whoever gets through regardless. That's what was annoying me in the opening post
    It is annoying.

It is annoying.
    bloody Putin/Scotland