+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: John Robertson ( Nottingham Forest)

John Robertson ( Nottingham Forest)

Just watched Johnny Owens documentary on Nottingham Forest rise from 2nd division to European Cup winners, what a player he was for them.

Re: John Robertson ( Nottingham Forest)

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Just watched Johnny Owens documentary on Nottingham Forest rise from 2nd division to European Cup winners, what a player he was for them.
    Gee thanks for the spoiler, I haven’t watched it yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    Gee thanks for the spoiler, I haven’t watched it yet!
    But you opened the post

The whole documentary is superb , you will enjoy it but as an aside it’s just a rehash of old footage and news articles but they particularly focused on him.

Didn't look like a footballer but what a player.

Watched it for the first time the other day. Brilliant documentary.

And, yes, Robertson what a player. He’d drop a shoulder and the full back would end up in a different postcode.

What a fantastic side they were

Woodcock , Gemmill , Burns , Lloyd

What a manager to get them all playing

Is Owen supporting them now ?

First Team

What channel?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

It's a great documentary. Only someone like Clough could see the value in Kenny Burns joining that team.
    Don't know if he 'supports' Forest but he lives there cos Vicky McClure prefers to live there as opposed to London. He's on the Forest Board though as some sort of communications/media person capacity.

He’s on the board …I thought he supported Cardiff, or was it Merthyr……

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    What channel?
    Netflix

I know I'm looking at the game through rose tinted spectacles, but the Forest side that came down here in November '76 and beat us 3-0 was one of the best away sides I have every seen at Ninian Park. Yes, I know we have have suffered bigger defeats over the years, but Forest that day were magnificent. I may be wrong, but I don't think we even had an attempt on their goal. No doubt someone will prove me wrong though. Their fans were extremely loud and vociferous and were given the whole of the Canton End, and were for obvious reasons much, much louder than the Grange End that day

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I know I'm looking at the game through rose tinted spectacles, but the Forest side that came down here in November '76 and beat us 3-0 was one of the best away sides I have every seen at Ninian Park. Yes, I know we have have suffered bigger defeats over the years, but Forest that day were magnificent. I may be wrong, but I don't think we even had an attempt on their goal. No doubt someone will prove me wrong though. Their fans were extremely loud and vociferous and were given the whole of the Canton End, and were for obvious reasons much, much louder than the Grange End that day
    I agree they were so good that day.Light years ahead of us then.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    I agree they were so good that day.Light years ahead of us then.
    Didn't we beat them at the city ground and we were the last team to beat them there for ages and ages ?

The most one-sided match I've ever been to. Passed the ball around us like statues for 90 minutes. I think a lot us were thinking even then 'this team is going to the very top'.

But you opened the post

The whole documentary is superb , you will enjoy it but as an aside it’s just a rehash of old footage and news articles but they particularly focused on him.
    It IS a superb film, but I don’t think that you are right at all in saying that it is a rehash of old footage and focuses on Robertson.

I found the modern day interviews with Burns, Lloyd and McGovern very enlightening (and funny) and there was loads of new material as well as old footage obviously, but very well put together by Owen.

What a story and a film, but you do it a disservice with you description.

Didn't we beat them at the city ground and we were the last team to beat them there for ages and ages ?
    Yes, 1-0 in April 1977, Peter Sayer scored.

It’s a great film, Clough and Taylor had so much faith in Robertson - put basically, the plan was for the other nine outfield players to pass the ball to him!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, 1-0 in April 1977, Peter Sayer scored.

It’s a great film, Clough and Taylor had so much faith in Robertson - put basically, the plan was for the other nine outfield players to pass the ball to him!
    That was it , I think they remained unbeaten at home till 1980 or something like that ?

Forest were a team of cast offs , workhorses and one or two flair players gelled together by a fantastic management team

I would love CCFC to do something like that and put a put up the arse of the ponces in the big league

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    It IS a superb film, but I don’t think that you are right at all in saying that it is a rehash of old footage and focuses on Robertson.

I found the modern day interviews with Burns, Lloyd and McGovern very enlightening (and funny) and there was loads of new material as well as old footage obviously, but very well put together by Owen.

What a story and a film, but you do it a disservice with you description.

Possibly, however most of the footage and antidotes within the film I’ve seen or heard before , the main thing (for me) was how underrated Robertson was.

As a kid I even knew Trevor Francis had a white XJS

I still remember watching him score the winning goal in the 1980 European final, and thinking how brilliant he was.

That was it , I think they remained unbeaten at home till 1980 or something like that ?

Forest were a team of cast offs , workhorses and one or two flair players gelled together by a fantastic management team

I would love CCFC to do something like that and put a put up the arse of the ponces in the big league
    Having seen the 3-0 drubbing first hand, I could not believe the 0-1 scoreline in the reverse fixture when I tuned into Grandstand.

That Forest team and the Reading team a few years ago were by far the best footballing teams I've ever seen in the 2nd tier.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The most one-sided match I've ever been to. Passed the ball around us like statues for 90 minutes. I think a lot us were thinking even then 'this team is going to the very top'.
    Not the most one sided for me but close. The most one sided was the Manchester City match the last time we were in the Premier League when even the ref blew up early to save us further embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Not the most one sided for me but close. The most one sided was the Manchester City match the last time we were in the Premier League when even the ref blew up early to save us further embarrassment.
    Let's be honest, that season we were spoiled for choice for possible contenders, but yeah, that match was grim.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Let's be honest, that season we were spoiled for choice for possible contenders, but yeah, that match was grim.
    Ten wins that season, the most of the bottom five teams, not that it mattered as we only mustered four draws in the whole campaign.

Nov 27th. I left at half time. The only time I have ever left a match early. Should mention for personal, not footballing reasons.

Robertson was a superb winger n his day. I remember the Forest 3-0 defeat at home too. Best side i saw down the city that season.. Somebody above mentioned man city at home whilst in the prem which does stand out, as did the Ipswich FA Cup game back in the day. They were awesome!
    Spedger