+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New Goalkeeper?

New Goalkeeper?

https://twitter.com/thecantonend/sta...nEQv2abvZ0mlRQ

Cardiff City are close to finalising a deal for St Mirren goalkeeper, Jak Alnwick.

The former Newcastle and Rangers goalkeeper is set to reject Aberdeen and Hibs to join the Bluebirds this summer.

Re: New Goalkeeper?

interesting one, would he be a number one, or a backup to Phillips?
    assuming this means smithies is going.
    and where is ratcliffe in the mix?

Is anyone going to come on here and tell us they know how good or bad Alnwick is and, if they did, would anyone believe them? All I’ll do is ask the question how big a compliment is it to be described as one of the best keepers in the Scottish Premier League? Maybe I’m wrong, but id say that equates to something around Championship standard - think he may be coming here as first choice if he signs.

What are people's thoughts on Phillips? Decent shot-stopper, not so good distribution?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Is anyone going to come on here and tell us they know how good or bad Alnwick is and, if they did, would anyone believe them? All I’ll do is ask the question how big a compliment is it to be described as one of the best keepers in the Scottish Premier League? Maybe I’m wrong, but id say that equates to something around Championship standard - think he may be coming here as first choice if he signs.
    Was going to write something about how we've never had a bad Scottish goalkeeper and in fact some of our best in recent times have been scots. But this guy is English and just play up there

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    What are people's thoughts on Phillips? Decent shot-stopper, not so good distribution?
    The one thing I noticed most with Phillips is how reluctant he is to catch crosses, he nearly always opts to punch them away. Maybe it’s an age thing, but I’ve always preferred a keeper to come out and catch the ball rather than punch it, but I can’t remember Phillips’ preference for punching ever costing us a goal. Smithies will be trying to catch the ball about ninety per cent of the time he comes for a cross, so I don’t think it’s anything to do with how the keepers are coached at City, maybe it was the preference among goalkeeping coaches at Charlton when Phillips was there as a kid? Other than that, I don’t think there’s too much between Smithies and Phillips in terms of ability and I’d be happy enough with the latter as our first choice next season if Smithies leaves.

No mention of Cardiff City?

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    No mention of Cardiff City?
    no that link was from a few days ago, but it does give some stats on his performances

There didn't seem to be much between them before Smithies took preference.
    Last edited by Undercoverinwurzelland; 01-04-22 at 14:55. Reason: Incomplete

so maybe a competition between this guy and Phillips for the number one jersey and Ratcliffe going out on loan somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    so maybe a competition between this guy and Phillips for the number one jersey and Ratcliffe going out on loan somewhere
    I've seen it mentioned in a few places that a number of youngsters are going to be released, Bowen was named and I wouldn't be surprised if Ratcliffe goes as well

A shame for some of the promising ones considering they were never really given a chance, most clubs would have given Ratcliffe a cup game by now

At one point he was destined to be England #1 but then faded into the background.

Ryan Reynolds is available.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Neil Alexander played 213 times for Cardiff, having transferred from Livingston in 2001.

David Marshall played 264 times for Cardiff. He played 35 times for Celtic (being #2 / #3 choice), before moving on loan to Norwich in 2007, before making the deal permanent in 2009.

Both keepers did a good job for Cardiff despite learning their trade in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Always struck me as a very good shot stopper (and great at saving pens). For me his biggest weakness - especially in comparison to Smithies - is that he is always rooted to his line. Don't know if that's because he's a bit indecisive or he doesn't read the game very well but Smithies has a lot more command of his area.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I've seen it mentioned in a few places that a number of youngsters are going to be released, Bowen was named and I wouldn't be surprised if Ratcliffe goes as well

A shame for some of the promising ones considering they were never really given a chance, most clubs would have given Ratcliffe a cup game by now
    Noooooooo not Bowen, I really hope you're wrong there