+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Morison refuses radio interviews after that. Quick to dig out the youngsters but when he needs to front up- he hides.

Re: Steve Morison refuses radio interviews after that. Quick to dig out the youngsters but when he needs to front up- he hides.

In sure the notorious nutters in the Grandstand gave him a really hard time.

Re: Steve Morison refuses radio interviews after that. Quick to dig out the youngsters but when he needs to front up- he hides.

Just watched it for the first time and he doesn't come across well.
    Does he really think that there's no difference between a 1-0 defeat and a 4-0 defeat?
    If a fan wants to express his opinion and you dont like it, tough shit. You're paid enough not to react and so are the players, and the fans contribute to those wages.
    Don't blame not being able to communicate with the farside of the pitch and where you are. There are other ways to get messages across. When one of those people is your captain aswell it really is questions if anyone knew what the plan was, or has the intelligence to know how to react.
    We haven't been on an incredible run.
    If he thinks that in achieving his target of safety means he can take his foot off the gas, then he shouldn't have been awarded a new contract.
    Stop smirking like it's some kind of joke.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Exactly. Picking three central defenders and three central midfielders in the starting lineup was very conservative. Morison had Colwill and Davies warming up early in the second half, but Swansea scored again before he could bring them on.
    It was the same formation and tactics that we have employed for most of the last six months, which worked in getting us out of trouble. What would you have liked him to do - play five forwards ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Just watched it for the first time and he doesn't come across well.
    Does he really think that there's no difference between a 1-0 defeat and a 4-0 defeat?
    If a fan wants to express his opinion and you dont like it, tough shit. You're paid enough not to react and so are the players, and the fans contribute to those wages.
    Don't blame not being able to communicate with the farside of the pitch and where you are. There are other ways to get messages across. When one of those people is your captain aswell it really is questions if anyone knew what the plan was, or has the intelligence to know how to react.
    We haven't been on an incredible run.
    If he thinks that in achieving his target of safety means he can take his foot off the gas, then he shouldn't have been awarded a new contract.
    Stop smirking like it's some kind of joke.
    I don't think digging out the fans is particularly clever but I also hate the concept of 30000 people being able to shout any abuse they want and if the target turns round and says anything to retaliate it's apparently shocking behaviour. If you dish it out, be prepared to get it back and if someone was calling Morison a c**t or whatever yesterday then personally I'd have no issue with him turning round and telling them to go f**k themselves

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    He likes the sound of his voice and often saying how well he is doing but I’m not so sure. We were always going to improve and move away from danger, only had to look at the bookies odds to see that . He’s now convinced people he’s doing some great overhaul but it’s a load of rubbish, the football has been shite for weeks after an encouraging start, it’s reverted to type.

Drameh the only one to hold his head up again yesterday. He’s our only threat these days
    So the bookies decide the results as well now then do they ? I would think that they reflect the managers ability to get the team out of trouble and the players a team has at its disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    No that didn’t sit well. I actually don’t mind his honesty but I can’t quite put my finger on it, he just doesn’t come across as very likeable in interviews
    Think that’s putting it mildly

It’ll be his downfall as he’ll get less grace from fans

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I don't think digging out the fans is particularly clever but I also hate the concept of 30000 people being able to shout any abuse they want and if the target turns round and says anything to retaliate it's apparently shocking behaviour. If you dish it out, be prepared to get it back and if someone was calling Morison a c**t or whatever yesterday then personally I'd have no issue with him turning round and telling them to go f**k themselves
    I agree, but there’s a time and a place to say such things. Get it right and most people would back him ,but not after what he and his team served up yesterday. What he said sounded desperate, an attempt to switch attention away from the humiliation he and his team had just suffered.

No that didn’t sit well. I actually don’t mind his honesty but I can’t quite put my finger on it, he just doesn’t come across as very likeable in interviews
    He doesn't come across as very likeable full stop

If that's what people were calling him then that's out of line. If they were passionate in offering advice on the game and his tactics then he should take it on the chin, and if fans can see something he can't, then once in a while take the advice. What could go wrong?

Players didn't carry out the game plan .

Completely incapable of any self reflection.

It isn't honesty, it's blame shifting and always has been. He did exactly the same after the Bristol City shitshow

Never his fault, always somebody else. I can't believe how many people have bought into the hard man act

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    It isn't honesty, it's blame shifting and always has been. He did exactly the same after the Bristol City shitshow

Never his fault, always somebody else. I can't believe how many people have bought into the hard man act
    It's this 'Talking Straight' Bollocks that seems to be a veiled way of deflecting responsibility. I think that some of our fans like that straight no nonsense characteristic, although i does have to have a bit of substance, and in accordance with the theme, shouldn't Steve practice what he preaches in terms of his own misgivings and mistakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's this 'Talking Straight' Bollocks that seems to be a veiled way of deflecting responsibility. I think that some of our fans like that straight no nonsense characteristic, although i does have to have a bit of substance, and in accordance with the theme, shouldn't Steve practice what he preaches in terms of his own misgivings and mistakes?
    Tuerto, you’re someone who understands the game, can you shed any light on what our plan was going into the match - were we supposed to be pressing them like two or three were or sitting back and letting them play like the others were?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Tuerto, you’re someone who understands the game, can you shed any light on what our plan was going into the match - were we supposed to be pressing them like two or three were or sitting back and letting them play like the others were?
    Thanks for the compliment, but plenty on here see the game very well in my opinion, including yourself and others, mine is just an opinion In my opinion we didn't really change a thing in terms of tactics and personal responsibility. Whenever i have seen teams deal with the jacks, and quite comfortably, they play a higher line, both midfield and defence, in order to compress the space in midfield and force swansea into making mistakes, it's worked on plenty of occasions this season, quite easily in fact. Morison has one outlet, the wing backs (in my opinion) he allows one midfield player to press, which isn't enough against Swansea, and none of our defenders step out, which would really help in overloading the midfield. In short, Morison allowed that to happen yesterday, and for Swansea it was a practice match, they didn't have to think, they weren't pressured or tested, all because of a negative set up and style of play. Just my opinion

Thanks for the compliment, but plenty on here see the game very well in my opinion, including yourself and others, mine is just an opinion In my opinion we didn't really change a thing in terms of tactics and personal responsibility. Whenever i have seen teams deal with the jacks, and quite comfortably, they play a higher line, both midfield and defence, in order to compress the space in midfield and force swansea into making mistakes, it's worked on plenty of occasions this season, quite easily in fact. Morison has one outlet, the wing backs (in my opinion) he allows one midfield player to press, which isn't enough against Swansea, and none of our defenders step out, which would really help in overloading the midfield. In short, Morison allowed that to happen yesterday, and for Swansea it was a practice match, they didn't have to think, they weren't pressured or tested, all because of a negative set up and style of play. Just my opinion
    That would make sense. I've never really grasped football 'strategy' as much as many others do, but what struck me throughout was how City's 'pressing' was totally ineffective. Swansea were more than capable of passing it out of defence through our pressing players, and into a vast wilderness where 2 or 3 simple passes brought them to our penalty area. We kept doing it, especially in the 1st half, and it certainly wasn't working.

Thanks, Swansea find us so easy to play against.

Thinking about it, the under 23s were playing like that early in the season when they were on that great winning run under Morison. I wrote at the time that there was a lot of sitting back, letting the opposition have a lot of the ball. The difference was that we had a very good side for the league we were in and we were very confident. It was a look at a team playing what seems to be Morison’s preferred way of approaching the game well. I remember him saying we were in charge of the game when we were out of possession after we’d thumped Peterborough and I could kind of see what he meant, but we were doing it every game at Under 23 level back in the autumn. The trouble is apart from that one match against the division’s worst team, I’ve not seen anything which comes close to matching it at senior level.

Even in my amateurish way, I could see we needed to change tactics, and it became more obvious in the 2nd half when Morison just went for like for like changes, when I thought we needed to go 442, putting an extra man in midfield and up top.
    Why on earth Morison kept effectively the same shape when we were being comprehensively beaten I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks, Swansea find us so easy to play against.

Thinking about it, the under 23s were playing like that early in the season when they were on that great winning run under Morison. I wrote at the time that there was a lot of sitting back, letting the opposition have a lot of the ball. The difference was that we had a very good side for the league we were in and we were very confident. It was a look at a team playing what seems to be Morison’s preferred way of approaching the game well. I remember him saying we were in charge of the game when we were out of possession after we’d thumped Peterborough and I could kind of see what he meant, but we were doing it every game at Under 23 level back in the autumn. The trouble is apart from that one match against the division’s worst team, I’ve not seen anything which comes close to matching it at senior level.
    Our best display was v Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    That would make sense. I've never really grasped football 'strategy' as much as many others do, but what struck me throughout was how City's 'pressing' was totally ineffective. Swansea were more than capable of passing it out of defence through our pressing players, and into a vast wilderness where 2 or 3 simple passes brought them to our penalty area. We kept doing it, especially in the 1st half, and it certainly wasn't working.
    Agreed, the problems come about when the space isn't condensed. It's all well and good pressing from the front, but against Swansea we need to press as a unit, the whole team, otherwise there will be space to exploit in other areas of the pitch. Swansea must've thought it was Christmas.

Morison won't do that because he doesn't feel he's got the legs in the centre of defence to do so, which cost us yesterday.

Agreed, the problems come about when the space isn't condensed. It's all well and good pressing from the front, but against Swansea we need to press as a unit, the whole team, otherwise there will be space to exploit in other areas of the pitch. Swansea must've thought it was Christmas.
    Which led to no end of problems. Harris, Hugill and Doyle just get completely taken out of the game in 2/3 passes.

Absolutely. I like Grimes but he was given the keys to the city yesterday. Even Wintle was chasing shadows and had a mare because of our 'game plan'.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Morison won't do that because he doesn't feel he's got the legs in the centre of defence to do so, which cost us yesterday.
    But he has done that this season.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Hard man act?

Where do you get this shit from