+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would it take to make you give up your car?

International

What would it take to make you give up your car?

No where to park due to permits, 20mph or 50mph on motorways, sky high petrol costs, roads like the castle closed, cameras for speeding, bus lanes, stopping rat runs, parking camera vans, I think the Drakeford and others are trying very hard to make driving as unpleasant as possible.

What would it take to make you give up?

With petrol how far would you go £2.50 per litre, £5.00?

Re: What would it take to make you give up your car?

I'd love to be able to give up my car.

extensive, efficient and dirt cheap public transport and I'd gladly give it up.
    that's a total pipe dream though, as we are a small provincial city, not a major world city, as only those tend to have enough infrastructure to be able to ditch the car.

Can never really give up having a car unless it’s due to I’ll health.

I have 2 cars (showing off now), doing less than 10k annually across them both. I’ll will get rid of 1 of them when my daughter makes her own way to high school.
    Having said that my boy will be old enough to drive then - but not at my cost.

Having a magic carpet or Tardis to transport client stuff about!

International

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Can never really give up having a car unless it’s due to I’ll health.

I have 2 cars (showing off now), doing less than 10k annually across them both. I’ll will get rid of 1 of them when my daughter makes her own way to high school.
    Having said that my boy will be old enough to drive then - but not at my cost.
    That will be one down, I think that's how it will start, I'll probably retire before the Mrs and we'll probably drop to one car then, we need two for work that isn't public transportable.

Reasonably priced public transport that's efficient, comfortable, late night services and at least looks 21st century.

Having a decent system of short-term car rental. The type where you a car is parked in a marked bay and you return it once finished.
    Since working from home there are a lot of cars around not doing as much as they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Having a decent system of short-term car rental. The type where you a car is parked in a marked bay and you return it once finished.
    Since working from home there are a lot of cars around not doing as much as they used to.
    you might be onto something here, quick start making an app for it

Think this is a must when they have self driving cars. If I'm not driving it as much I wouldn't feel so bothered about owning it.

Or if you did own it you could loan it to whatever system, whilst you're at work or whatever your car is out there earning you a bit of money back.

A reliable and easy access to public transport.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think the Enterprise scheme has 12 such cars in Cardiff, if that's what you're referring to.

I think the Enterprise scheme has 12 such cars in Cardiff, if that's what you're referring to.
    not exactly, presumably those are cars owned by enterprise.

this would be regular people renting their own cars out to people, like air BnB but for cars.

you've invested a lot in your car and for some people it's just sat there on their drive losing value. why not earn some money from it.

if you go on a 2 week holiday, you'll probably pay through the nose to park your car , at the same moment someone is probably arriving on a plane to rent a car for 2 weeks. put the 2 together and there you go

not exactly, presumably those are cars owned by enterprise.

this would be regular people renting their own cars out to people, like air BnB but for cars.

you've invested a lot in your car and for some people it's just sat there on their drive losing value. why not earn some money from it.

if you go on a 2 week holiday, you'll probably pay through the nose to park your car , at the same moment someone is probably arriving on a plane to rent a car for 2 weeks. put the 2 together and there you go
    Fancy going on Dragons Den ? 😁

I gave up my car a year ago.
    Due to the pandemic, it had not been used for a year, I also quit my job and started working from home, so it was even less likely to be used.
    My missus has a car as well, so we had two cars not really being used too much, and after a lot of humming and harring, I decided to sell mine and we would just use hers. We had agreed that I would have priority use of it on a City match day.
    After a short while I quickly realised it was the right choice for me… saving on monthly payments (I had a personal loan), car insurance, MOT, and road tax, and having that money in my bank instead of paying those Tossers just for owning a car that I never used also gave me a nice feeling.
    One year on, I have not missed it.

It's already a thing in China, and the World Economic Forum are seeking an end to car ownership in the future. Remember the plans for that new city tower block with no parking facilities? Another thing to consider is the proposed Digital ID's that will track your movements, and it could lead to travel restrictions. I suppose it's a price worth paying to save the planet from climate change.

Fancy going on Dragons Den ? 😁
    This already exists in Barcelona. When mine goes i'm hoping for the out of city runs to just borrow my neighbours. Think its called social car, but there are 1 or 2 others as well. My mate got a great camping van off some lad, dirty cheap compared to real hire companies.

I get into a van to go to work, still need to get to a pickup point at various times and get dropped back off all sorts of hours there are no public transport as well.

Picking up my daughter can be done on the train, but at an hour each way and even worse on a Sunday its a no go, also eith the car we aren't governed by the timetable as to when we decide to go..

As for social, I can get to where I want to go with public transport. Taxi's are extortionate getting home though after a certain time.

Shopping and the like can be done using public transport or walking.

Tbh I just like having a car, it took me way too long to find my freedom with driving as I alway put it off, so now I can drive I like to make the most of it.

I'd be well up for permit parking mind, it's like a free for all around here you've got to park in any street you can get in.

I couldn't be without a car.

Thanks to Brexit Britain the bus service is crap as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I couldn't be without a car.

Thanks to Brexit Britain the bus service is crap as well.
    It's been shit for years apparently.

I've never really had an issue when using busses and trains for work, glad them days are gone mind.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It's already a thing in China, and the . Remember the plans for that new city tower block with no parking facilities? Another thing to consider is the proposed Digital ID's that will track your movements, and it could lead to travel restrictions. I suppose it's a price worth paying to save the planet from climate change.

World Economic Forum are seeking an end to car ownership in the future.

Yes but could they, almost everyone who has a car wants to keep it, so how can they force or influence the change, probably petrol prices surely eventually people would not want to pay say triple the cost of buying, taxing, and running a car?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post

Yes but could they, almost everyone who has a car wants to keep it, so how can they force or influence the change, probably petrol prices surely eventually people would not want to pay say triple the cost of buying, taxing, and running a car?
    I'd probably just keep adjusting my budget to keep my car to be honest.

It’s called Usership rather than ownership.

Lots of logic in it when you think a typical car is not in use for around 20+ hours every day.
    The idea is to be only paying whilst your actually in use of it.

It’s the convenience that’s the issue and making that work when you need to immediately drive.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post

Yes, but could they, almost everyone who has a car wants to keep it, so how can they force or influence the change, probably petrol prices surely eventually people would not want to pay say triple the cost of buying, taxing, and running a car?
    Yes you could be priced out of the market, but also things like Digital ID and CBDC's which will be programmable, so they could be used as a form of control by rationing what you eat, where you go, how much energy you use, etc,. It sounds good on paper, but like 15 days to flatten the curve it can lead to something else. Or as somebody once said, it started out with a kiss, how did it end up like this? It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    It’s called Usership rather than ownership.

Lots of logic in it when you think a typical car is not in use for around 20+ hours every day.
    The idea is to be only paying whilst your actually in use of it.

It’s the convenience that’s the issue and making that work when you need to immediately drive.
    yes a lot of companies are betting that this will be the model of car use in the future. when self driving cars become genuinely good enough say 10-20 years time.

I am all for it, there are so many benefits to it.

It's become a fight to the death, as far as I'm concerned - me versus a shitty cycle-obsessed council. I'm determined to drive, no matter what they throw at me. I'd drive two cars if I could.