+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone use a dash camera?

Anyone use a dash camera?

Just wondered if anyone on here used a dash camera, and could give me a recommendation. I had a slight bump recently, and though it was not my fault, I couldn't prove it. You also hear about 'deliberate accidents', and I thought it might be time to fit something in the car. Anyone?

Re: Anyone use a dash camera?

Yes got front and rear, wouldn’t necessarily recommend the one I have, but they are worth having. Have a look in Halfords. Rear camera is only any good if you can protect it from the elements, mine has misted up and as it was placed under rear number plate has rusted. You can set them to motion sensitive as well if you leave your car unattended. Also get the largest SD Card. You should be able to loop recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Yes got front and rear, wouldn’t necessarily recommend the one I have, but they are worth having. Have a look in Halfords. Rear camera is only any good if you can protect it from the elements, mine has misted up and as it was placed under rear number plate has rusted. You can set them to motion sensitive as well if you leave your car unattended. Also get the largest SD Card. You should be able to loop recordings.
    Why not put it inside???

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Why not put it inside???
    That was where it was supposed to be fitted.

I thought so

a mate of mine does 70 K miles a year and has 2 front and 2 rear ( to cover all the corners ) , he swears they are a necessity doing the miles he does

you can get them for 25 quid these days even cheaper if you buy direct from China

Loads on amazon with reviews

First Team

Usain Bolt

Yes tforturton
    Exactly the same situation mate.
    I had a bump whereby the third party at the scene admitted liability to the police who attended but later retracted and blamed me.
    There was a subsequent grey area both insurance companies were in limbo as to who exactly was at fault.
    The matter of liability was only resolved six months later when the Police report finally came through.
    Needless to say I then invested in a Dashcam
    You only get what you pay for mate
    I paid £69 about five years ago but looking at the same model online now it’s incredibly gone UP to £159
    I can honestly say it’s been invaluable
    You have to buy an additional memory card but that’s it
    I haven’t touch wood had a bump since but I have actually helped other motorists- a boy racer pranged a stationary car in front of me at a junction and tried to blame him-dashcam footage to the rescue- a pedestrian was run over on the zebra crossing outside the Beverley on Cathedral Rd by a car coming the other way - luckily all caught on camera
    At the end of the day it’s peace of mind motoring 👍

So, why did you fit it outside, didn't it come with instructions?
    It's just that in your first post you suggested protecting them from the elements. Well, surely that's not even an issue when you follow the correct fitting procedure, they're not meant to be installed like reversing cameras.

I also don't recommend gluing a camera to your bonnet.

Why oh why are these not automatically built into cars

Already got the bloody cameras for parking aids.

Couple of years ago a guy reversed into me. I was stationary. All caught on camera. My insurance company still judged it 50:50. As someone above said, the guy admitted it on the spot but then retracted it.

I remember reading that people have removed their cameras when they have been in the wrong and not volunteered the evidence against themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    So, why did you fit it outside, didn't it come with instructions?
    It's just that in your first post you suggested protecting them from the elements. Well, surely that's not even an issue when you follow the correct fitting procedure, they're not meant to be installed like reversing cameras.
    I didn’t fit it, fitted by the garage I use and they fitted as per instruction manual.