+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I’m not dwelling on Saturday but…..

I’m not dwelling on Saturday but…..

….I saw someone else make reference to this:

Whereas the team’s performance was dreadful even the pre-match build up was all wrong:

Chops barely coming into the pitch with no rallying interview and the club playing ‘Monster’ once he has pretty much disappeared.

Playing Yma O Hyd, a Welsh song rather than a Cardiff City song

The Jack manager walking across the across the pitch right over to their fans just before KO

We seemed to get everything wrong and missed so many obvious opportunities 🤐

Re: I’m not dwelling on Saturday but…..

I agree.
    Yma O Hyd was the wrong choice - some Jack's were singing it too.
    Chopra spoke under the Ninian but don't think his mic was working, and to bring him onto the pitch and do nothing was a bit pointless.

Agreed and if I were a player and saw that Jack winding up my home fans after scoring I’d be over to put a stop to it. We basically rolled out the red carpet for them all day

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Agreed and if I were a player and saw that Jack winding up my home fans after scoring I’d be over to put a stop to it. We basically rolled out the red carpet for them all day
    With society today it’s all about “Inclusion”.
    Our team took it a bit too far.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    that's the issue and one I have mentioned in the past, the " spice " of the old derbies have long gone, its just a game to the club, its 3 points and thats it, football has become sterile and lost the old charm
    who can say when walking to CCS they feel the same as they did walking down sloper road in the old days

Couldn’t believe they played Yma O Hyd. Nothing to do with Cardiff City! Also Russell Martin should have been kicked off the pitch before the game started, instead of letting him waltz over to their support to encourage them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    Couldn’t believe they played Yma O Hyd. Nothing to do with Cardiff City! Also Russell Martin should have been kicked off the pitch before the game started, instead of letting him waltz over to their support to encourage them.
    They've been playing it all season

The atmosphere under the Canton before kick off was superb. Trouble is, that was not replicated in the stands during the match especially after the Jacks scored. Maybe our fan base is getting older and more fickle. The whole experience on Saturday failed to get the heart racing. Indeed, the match seemed to drag on. This season will just fade away no doubt with us losing to Derby to keep them up on the last day of the season. ST sales will struggle at this rate. As for Chops and pre-match singalong....do we have anyone at the club who deals with this aspect of marketing?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    They've been playing it all season
    I’m a season ticket holder. First time I’ve been aware of it. I still think they shouldn’t play it.

I first heard Yma O Hyd at Ninian Park - DJ Ali in early Sam Hammam days.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    football has become sterile and lost the old charm
    Bollocks. The South Wales derby is only sterile from a Cardiff point of view because the team, its management and the club in general have consistently made such a hash of it in recent years.

It doesn’t appear to be sterile from a Swansea perspective.

they played a welsh song because they wanted to be seen as unifying the fans in a loved up sea of welshness.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    I first heard Yma O Hyd at Ninian Park - DJ Ali in early Sam Hammam days.
    It used to get played at Wales games when my boys were young. So about 20 years ago. That is how I know it.

And it has now had a recent resurgence at Wales games.

I’ve never heard it at City games but then again I rarely go to home games.

A huge mistake either way.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    With society today it’s all about “Inclusion”.
    Our team took it a bit too far.
    Lol!

EXACTLY.

The first was puzzling but the second enraged me.

Get him off the pitch or put the sprinklers on!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Bollocks. The South Wales derby is only sterile from a Cardiff point of view because the team, its management and the club in general have consistently made such a hash of it in recent years.

It doesn’t appear to be sterile from a Swansea perspective.
    Have to agree, the atmosphere in the pubs and the ground initially was far from sterile. There was an inevitability about the whole thing in the back of my mind though.

International

Ali played London Bridge is Falling Down, My Old Man's A Dustman and the theme from Steptoe and Son when West Ham United visited!

Agreed we make the rats feel welcome, it should be a difficult day for the players and fans alike we are too soft!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...-music-2414247

At least Don't Worry Be Happy wasn't played at the final whistle.
    Well, I hope it wasn't- I'd left by then.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    At least Don't Worry Be Happy wasn't played at the final whistle.
    Well, I hope it wasn't- I'd left by then.

I’m a season ticket holder. First time I’ve been aware of it. I still think they shouldn’t play it.
    It's played about five minutes before kick-off, after Frank Hennessey and before Men of Harlech

Yeah why their playing Yma O Hyd before Cardiff games God only knows. Perhaps their unaware that less than 11% of the population of Cardiff can speak Welsh.

I'm getting a bit fed up of the creeping nationalism around Welsh football. Not as cringe as the JB's and their union flags obvs but even so, not something I particularly like.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    Yeah why their playing Yma O Hyd before Cardiff games God only knows. Perhaps their unaware that less than 11% of the population of Cardiff can speak Welsh.

I'm getting a bit fed up of the creeping nationalism around Welsh football. Not as cringe as the JB's and their union flags obvs but even so, not something I particularly like.
    Totally agree, keep it for the Welsh games

They should have played gypsies tramps and thieves. Like Ali used to

All we need for City is "My Little Pick & Shovel" and "Hey Jude". The Welsh songs have no relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    All we need for City is "My Little Pick & Shovel" and "Hey Jude". The Welsh songs have no relevance.
    Agreed.

Yma O Hyd has as much relevance to the JBs as us!

It should have been so easy to create a soundtrack that was heavily Cardiff City-dependent as you say, and therefore provide every opportunity to quieten down and alienate their fans. But no………

That is what every other club does for derbies.