Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Takeover soon?

Re: Takeover soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    And the rest. We lost 24m in the last accounts, that’s 2m a month
    I thought it was 11m

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I remember the days when Cardiff had nothing. I had an insurance claim at the club back in the 90’s when it was clear they hadn’t got a penny to their name. They were in the basement division. Three were times when the club were in constant financial distress with the club’s existence in doubt.

You have had complete financial stability under Tan with two promotions to the top flight, showpiece Cup occasions and at the worst a solid tier two side. That compares very favourably with most of your history. He has stayed loyal to the club far beyond plenty of owners. I compare him to the likes of Zingarevich who left our club high and dry, The Thais who took off with the land surrounding our stadium and Yongge with his reckless spending and think you could have been pretty lucky.

So many clubs have been run badly by comparison. Not many foreign owners stick it out as long as he has.
    I would add a quality stadium allowing for it to become the home of the welsh national side and attracting european finals

Quality training facilities available to the club

Awards for their family approach and community work

But.... I am not a Tan fan particularly just don't think it is as black and white as the he is either great or not argument - he has done some good things and done some bad things

Well quite. I remember the pre Tan days when Cardiff City lurched from one financial crisis to another. Tan got it badly wrong over the change to red strips but otherwise he has imo been a very good owner. Be careful what you wish for.
    indeed , but some long for them long romantic beach walks when Scam was in charge, they do seem to gloss over the fact that Scam conned them all and took all he could from the club, of course they are just minor details

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    And the rest. We lost 24m in the last accounts, that’s 2m a month

We made a loss of £12m in the last published accounts not £24m

I remember the days when Cardiff had nothing. I had an insurance claim at the club back in the 90’s when it was clear they hadn’t got a penny to their name. They were in the basement division. Three were times when the club were in constant financial distress with the club’s existence in doubt.

You have had complete financial stability under Tan with two promotions to the top flight, showpiece Cup occasions and at the worst a solid tier two side. That compares very favourably with most of your history. He has stayed loyal to the club far beyond plenty of owners. I compare him to the likes of Zingarevich who left our club high and dry, The Thais who took off with the land surrounding our stadium and Yongge with his reckless spending and think you could have been pretty lucky.

So many clubs have been run badly by comparison. Not many foreign owners stick it out as long as he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    I would add a quality stadium allowing for it to become the home of the welsh national side and attracting european finals

Awards for their family approach and community work

But.... I am not a Tan fan particularly just don't think it is as black and white as the he is either great or not argument - he has done some good things and done some bad things

Yep I was going to add the stadium which is another plus. Football ownership is incredibly difficult especially at Championship level. All in all you have been secure under Tan. Far more so than many clubs.

You have had complete financial stability under Tan with two promotions to the top flight, showpiece Cup occasions and at the worst a solid tier two side. That compares very favourably with most of your history. He has stayed loyal to the club far beyond plenty of owners.
    Forget the distant past, and even forget the immediate past before Tan took charge, when City were in financial trouble (as always) but had just lost the Championship play-off final at Wembley.

You maintained Tan has been 'a very good owner'. He's owned the club since the beginning of the 2010/11 campaign. During his twelve seasons as owner, City reached the Carling Cup final and were promoted to the Premier League twice, but they were relegated immediately on both occasions.

The club is now deeper in debt than it was when Tan took over and it's also further back in the Football League pecking order than it was when he arrived. The football has been dire for large chunks of his tenure and this season the club has suffered a record number of consecutive defeats as it has bumbled around in the lower reaches of the table.

Do you believe there has been any genuine progress during Tan's time here? If so, in what respect?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Forget the distant past, and even forget the immediate past before Tan took charge, when City were in financial trouble (as always) but had just lost the Championship play-off final at Wembley.

You maintained Tan has been 'a very good owner'. He's owned the club since the beginning of the 2010/11 campaign. During his twelve seasons as owner, City reached the Carling Cup final and were promoted to the Premier League twice, but they were relegated immediately on both occasions.

The club is now deeper in debt than it was when Tan took over and it's also further back in the Football League pecking order than it was when he arrived. The football has been dire for large chunks of his tenure and this season the club has suffered a record number of consecutive defeats as it has bumbled around in the lower reaches of the table.

Do you believe there has been any genuine progress during Tan's time here? If so, in what respect?
    The stadiums value has increased which helps the balance sheet and the capacity has increased by 6,300. Corporate capacity is also significantly more.

The stadium was here before Tan arrived and it was already hosting Wales games too, although Tan did add the extra stand.

As for the training facilities, aren't those the same as they were before he got here? I know there was talk of new training facilities as a part of the rebrand package, but I don't think they were ever built, or were they? Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    The stadiums value has increased which helps the balance sheet and the capacity has increased by 6,300. Corporate capacity is also significantly more.
    Excellent. But the club is deeper in debt now than it was in 2010, I believe.

Of course you had progress by winning promotion to the top flight twice. How many times have the club won promotion to the top flight in their entire history? Admittedly you didn’t stay there and I guess that was a failure. However precious few clubs stick it out in the top flight for too long beyond the usual suspects.

On the debt side how many clubs debts are lower now than 12 years ago? That’s the way it is with modern football. It’s now how it should be for any well run business but football clubs are not well run.

Are Cardiff are a more attractive proposition for any would be buyer now than they were pre Tan? Time will tell but I reckon they are. That’s partly down to having a modern upgraded stadium where the national team play in brilliant, highly atmospheric occasions. That’s happened under his watch with the stadium capacity increase and training facilities.

It’s bound to have increased though with the high transfer fees and wages , and the Covid shutdown would have had a negative effect also.

I’m assuming about 70% of football clubs within the professional game has seen a significant increase in debt since 2010 taking into account inflation / cost of living etc.

From what I’ve seen our losses are not the worst by any means. Have a look at Blackburn, Bristol, Birmingham, Ipswich Town and the like just as a reference point when it comes to overall debt.

Of course you had progress by winning promotion to the top flight twice. How many times have the club won promotion to the top flight in their entire history? Admittedly you didn’t stay there and I guess that was a failure. However precious few clubs stick it out in the top flight for too long beyond the usual suspects.

On the debt side how many clubs debts are lower now than 12 years ago? That’s the way it is with modern football. It’s now how it should be for any well run business but football clubs are not well run.

Are Cardiff are a more attractive proposition for any would be buyer now than they were pre Tan? Time will tell but I reckon they are. That’s partly down to having a modern stadium where the national team play in brilliant, highly atmospheric occasions. That’s happened under his watch.
    Promotion is not progress when it's immediately followed by relegation and further deterioration. Especially when it ends up costing a club even more money in the long run.

You haven't really attempted to answer the question but, to be honest, I'm not surprised.

And as for the stadium, it was built and hosted Wales matches before Tan got here. Surely you're not going to credit him with the upturn in Wales's fortunes?

Excellent. But the club is deeper in debt now than it was in 2010, I believe.
    The net debt at May 2021 was £30m higher than it was in May 2010.

Promotion is not progress when it's immediately followed by relegation and further deterioration. Especially when it ends up costing a club even more money in the long run.

You haven't really attempted to answer the question but, to be honest, I'm not surprised.

And as for the stadium, it was built and hosted Wales matches before Tan got here. Surely you're not going to credit him with the upturn in Wales's fortunes?

As you well know the stadium capacity increased under Tan. There was no guarantee the Wales games would remain st the CCS during his time as owner. They have done.
    I note you haven’t bothered answering my questions but that comes as no surprise.
    You really are glass half empty aren’t you

The stadium was here before Tan arrived and it was already hosting Wales games too, although Tan did add the extra stand.

As for the training facilities, aren't those the same as they were before he got here? I know there was talk of new training facilities as a part of the rebrand package, but I don't think they were ever built, or were they? Not sure.
    Your memory maybe better than mine but I though the Wales games were being shared around the grounds and I thought tans first year of ownership coincided with the new facilties in the Vale

The added top tier has definitely made it a better european / international prospect but obviously we very rarely fill it as a club only with as much plastic as the seats

I would just restate what I said earlier I don't think its a case of good or bad but a balance over his tenure but even with me defending his record I am of a view it is time for change as long as it is a considered sale and not a panic sale as that could be a disaster

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    It’s bound to have increased though with the high transfer fees and wages , and the Covid shutdown would have had a negative effect also.

I’m assuming about 70% of football clubs within the professional game has seen a significant increase in debt since 2010 taking into account inflation / cost of living etc.

From what I’ve seen our losses are not the worst by any means. Have a look at Blackburn, Bristol, Birmingham, Ipswich Town and the like just as a reference point when it comes to overall debt.
    Here's the simple facts: the figures in the last accounts indicate (very clearly) that the club's debt is currently much higher than it was when Tan took over, and that's despite him converting plenty of debt to equity in recent years. The club is also consistently operating with far greater losses than it was before he arrived.

Loads of reasons for the above I'm sure, but it's fact nonetheless.

I note you haven’t bothered answering my questions but that comes as no surprise.
    I'll have a go then.....

Q: Of course you had progress by winning promotion to the top flight twice. How many times have the club won promotion to the top flight in their entire history?

A: Five times in total. They've been relegated immediately on two occasions - 2013/14 and 2018/19.

Q: On the debt side how many clubs debts are lower now than 12 years ago?

A: I have absolutely no idea.

Q: Are Cardiff are a more attractive proposition for any would be buyer now than they were pre Tan?

A: I have no idea, but the club would almost certainly have been a lot cheaper to buy in 2010 than it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Hopefully. Mentioned in the other thread but Tan has left the club to rot in recent seasons and if we can move on as soon as possible then that would be ideal.
    The story says that one buyer is known to have shown an interest in several clubs. I guess you don’t care who buys City

Your memory maybe better than mine but I though the Wales games were being shared around the grounds and I thought tans first year of ownership coincided with the new facilties in the Vale
    I think you're right about the stadium, although a quick look at the fixtures for 2010/11 shows that four of the five home games that season were played at the CCS.

As for the training facilities, maybe somebody knows the answer to this (I don't), but I think the facilities at the Vale are the same and City merely have planning permission for improved facilities.

What's pretty shite is that a consortium of businessmen or indeed women from Cardiff or a popstar hasn't invested in CCFC

Wtf is a family of the pie lot investing in Cardiff blues who quite frankly are not going to bring media money and what goes with it to Cardiff ?

I thought Bob Grogan was a good bloke for keeping the club alive and even Clemo although at the time I thought he was Satan.

I thought tans first year of ownership coincided with the new facilties in the Vale
    Here you go:

https://www.barryanddistrictnews.co....ning-approval/

Planning permission in 2013. More planning permission in 2019. Not sure how that works, but I don't think anything has been built yet.

Here you go:

Planning permission in 2013. More planning permission in 2019. Not sure how that works, but I don't think anything has been built yet.
    Planning permission is usually valid for five years. No idea if it was re-granted in 2019 or whether that was for a different plan.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    What's pretty shite is that a consortium of businessmen or indeed women from Cardiff or a popstar hasn't invested in CCFC

Wtf is a family of the pie lot investing in Cardiff blues who quite frankly are not going to bring media money and what goes with it to Cardiff ?

I thought Bob Grogan was a good bloke for keeping the club alive and even Clemo although at the time I thought he was Satan.
    Peters Pies are hardly Vincent Tan level in respect of financial clout are they ?

Here you go:

Nice one - I remember different phases of planning consent being given and there is development approved in llanrumney last year but still don't remember when we started using the Vale - I remember taking my boy to see training but Malky was boss then

But then I'm 57 so if I remember my name and address my head is full 👍👍