+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the continued rise of the right

the continued rise of the right

it looked a while ago that the rise of far right "strong man" leaders was reaching its end, with Bolsonaro and Orban behind in polls.

Orban has won his recent election, by a large margin. there are many concerns about the fairness of the election but he's won.
    he received a significant boost after Russia invaded Ukraine interestingly.

Bolsonaro was well behind in polling in Brazil, but is now much closer.

and now in France, one opinion poll has Le Pen ahead of Macron

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/stat...-EpWRLjOw&s=19

Re: the continued rise of the right

It would grim if Le Pen did win in France. I had hoped Bolsonaro’s shameful handling of vivid would have seen him well beaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    It would grim if Le Pen did win in France. I had hoped Bolsonaro’s shameful handling of vivid would have seen him well beaten.
    he's still behind in the poll but gaining I think, and you have to worry what lengths he will go to to cling into power.

his opponent has previously been arrested on bogus charges and barred from contesting a previous election

All over Europe

isn't Le Pen always slightly behind Macron at this stage but then she loses?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I think you're right. They have a system that narrows it down to the last 2, when most right-minded voters vote for whoever's left who isn't Le Pen.

With the exception of France those others countries leaders hold on to power by corruption, eliminating the opposition via jail or worse and have hijacked the media to ensure the population don't get a true picture of them.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Today's polling suggests she is going to win the run off.

Le Pen is closing in as she's focusing on a Trump mantra domestic policies , where Macron is keen on being the new big boy voice of Europe and world stage politician with Merkel gone ,could be dangerous as the cost of living bites into their economy, her anti Muslim stance is also coming to the debate .

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I think you're right. They have a system that narrows it down to the last 2, when most right-minded voters vote for whoever's left who isn't Le Pen.
    If any candidate would get the majority of the votes during the first round, there wouldn't be a second round. Polls predicting Macron would beat Le Pen in the second round but it's getting closer and closer to the error margins.

The left-wing are smashing it across Latam, Mexico, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru, and Honduras. CIA probably ran out of money. I suspect Lula will win in Brazil now he's back as well. Also depends where you plant your flag on left-wing but Europe seems to be very central left currently.

Few thoughts;

1 / Its wrong to use 'the right' and 'far right' interchangably. Two very different things
    2 / Its also unclear what actually defines many of these politicians as 'far right'. Economically at least Le Pen has more in common with the left than Macron. Anti-globalist may be a better definition for some of them at least.
    3 / Linked to the above, one of the most interesting elements of the forthcoming French presidential election is where the 'far' left (see above - the same point applies) vote goes. Based on the latest polls, Macron and Le Pen should get similar votes in round one. Typically Macron (or any predecessor) then sweeps up the vast majority of remaining votes. However, Macron seems to be struggling on that. I think Le Pen will get nearly all of Zemmours votes (perhaps 10%), and I think most of Melanchons (perhaps 18-20%). Where the left votes after this will determine the result of the election.
    4 / Irrespective, Macron will almost certainly win - I would suggest 55-45
    5 / All of these things go in cycles...parts of the world swing left, other parts swing right, then they both reverse. Its the normal state of things.
    6 / Someone mentioned mainstream European politics at the moment. The EU is run by centre-right conservatives and has been the largest party for several years now. That great swathes of the British left aligned themselves to the EU so strongly, in spite of its own working class strongly voting against it is one of the most baffling phenomena s in contemporary politics.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Few thoughts;

1 / Its wrong to use 'the right' and 'far right' interchangably. Two very different things
    2 / Its also unclear what actually defines many of these politicians as 'far right'. Economically at least Le Pen has more in common with the left than Macron. Anti-globalist may be a better definition for some of them at least.
    3 / Linked to the above, one of the most interesting elements of the forthcoming French presidential election is where the 'far' left (see above - the same point applies) vote goes. Based on the latest polls, Macron and Le Pen should get similar votes in round one. Typically Macron (or any predecessor) then sweeps up the vast majority of remaining votes. However, Macron seems to be struggling on that. I think Le Pen will get nearly all of Zemmours votes (perhaps 10%), and I think most of Melanchons (perhaps 18-20%). Where the left votes after this will determine the result of the election.
    5 / All of these things go in cycles...parts of the world swing left, other parts swing right, then they both reverse. Its the normal state of things.
    6 / Someone mentioned mainstream European politics at the moment. The EU is run by centre-right conservatives and has been the largest party for several years now. That great swathes of the British left aligned themselves to the EU so strongly, in spite of its own working class strongly voting against it is one of the most baffling phenomena s in contemporary politics.
    a very rational, sensible reply..

..are you new here? 😅

It's the rise of the wrong that you should be worried about!

Few thoughts;

Decent post but I would turn your question around and ask why the working class are so anti the EU especially given the employment protections brought in to safeguard working practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    a very rational, sensible reply..

..are you new here? 😅
    No he's been on here for ages , just different name

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No he's been on here for ages , just different name
    Thats one for the conspiracy theory thread

Few thoughts;

You honestly have to ask what it is that gets Le Pen defined as Far -Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Today's polling suggests she is going to win the run off.
    I would seriously doubt she will be in power

Same happened with UKIP

Large %wanted to vote for them but couldn't do it when it came to the crunch

Few thoughts;

You've gone and done it now

Decent post but I would turn your question around and ask why the working class are so anti the EU especially given the employment protections brought in to safeguard working practices.
    The 'working class' are predominately conservative, and have always been. Doesn't mean they vote Conservative, but they're mostly right of centre when it comes to the big issues.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    You honestly have to ask what it is that gets Le Pen defined as Far -Right?
    I would be content labelling Le Pen as far-right. It's more the catch-all phrase, using right and far-right interchangably etc. It's just a label though. It is a matter of fact that many of the economic policies Le Pen espouses are the same that left wing parties would advocate. Like I said, I would say anti-globalist is probably a better term.

She wont win anyway, as people will be spooked. I saw a poll today though that put it at 49/51% which is remarkable really.

I would be content labelling Le Pen as far-right. It's more the catch-all phrase, using right and far-right interchangably etc. It's just a label though. It is a matter of fact that many of the economic policies Le Pen espouses are the same that left wing parties would advocate. Like I said, I would say anti-globalist is probably a better term.

She wont win anyway, as people will be spooked. I saw a poll today though that put it at 49/51% which is remarkable really.
    And globalist Macron is a WEF young global leader, and that is how she is distinguishing herself by being an anti-globalist candidate, which probably accounts for her polling data.

They are led to believe that mass immigration is a reason for poor quality of pay and work, rather than rampant capitalism stagnating it in the pursuit of profits above workers.

First Team

That great swathes of the British left aligned themselves to the EU so strongly, in spite of its own working class strongly voting against it is one of the most baffling phenomena s in contemporary politics.
    "Left"? You think the Liberal Democrats are leftwing?

The "left" were pro-EU because they correctly assessed the UK would do better in than out. There's nothing odd about "right" and "left" thinkers espousing the same/similar policies/positions. Sometimes there is only one correct choice - being pro-EU was one.