+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Youngsters on Phones and stress and mental health issues?

International

Youngsters on Phones and stress and mental health issues?

Do you think the two are connected they never seem to get off them, it can't be good for them when do they switch off?

I fondly remember the days of leaving home with no mobile phone and saying I'll see you tonight, no contact from employers or anyone for 7 to 8 hours!

Re: Youngsters on Phones and stress and mental health issues?

Can't speak for them, but being in my mid 30s I see a direct link with the time I spend on my phone and how I feel. Scrolling for hours I feel awful, when I get up if I don't look at my phone for the first half hour I actually end up having a productive day, get to the gym and do what I need to do which results in me being less stressed as I've got no chores or important things being pushed back or ignored.

My daughter uses her phone a bit but isn't a heavy social media user she barely uses Facebook only to say happy birthday to family etc and snapchat which she also doesn't use a lot and she seems to be happier for it, sue will be productive with her day getting coursework and revision done and not let her phone distract her.

I think social media shows them a perfect world and they feel depressed looking at what they haven't got instead of being happy with who they are and what they have got.

Laugh if you want but I think the selfie has a lot to answer for as well, people looking for happiness with likes and interactions on photos they take ages getting just right..i think that's a mental illness in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Do you think the two are connected they never seem to get off them, it can't be good for them when do they switch off?

I fondly remember the days of leaving home with no mobile phone and saying I'll see you tonight, no contact from employers or anyone for 7 to 8 hours!
    I'd say unaffordable housing, wage stagnation, increasing of pension age and complete lack of action on climate change is affecting mental health more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I'd say unaffordable housing, wage stagnation, increasing of pension age and complete lack of action on climate change is affecting mental health more than anything else.
    Most certainly, Although somebody very close to me works in schools around South Wales and for a few hours a week, speaks to Teenagers about an difficulties they may be having with Mental Health, amongst other things. This person said that it is mostly girls that attend these 1 on 1 informal chats and that Instagram, Facebook etc is quoted 90% of the time as a big contributory factor in poor mental health, image etc. I think that Demb's Post makes sense, although i completely agree with your initial reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Most certainly, Although somebody very close to me works in schools around South Wales and for a few hours a week, speaks to Teenagers about an difficulties they may be having with Mental Health, amongst other things. This person said that it is mostly girls that attend these 1 on 1 informal chats and that Instagram, Facebook etc is quoted 90% of the time as a big contributory factor in poor mental health, image etc. I think that Demb's Post makes sense, although i completely agree with your initial reasons
    Unfortunately mate it will be girls, as boys don't talk.

That in itself is a huge issue as they'll keep it to themselves and it'll probably contribute to other issues they'll gonoff the rails or behave certain ways to hide the fact they're upset or depressed because, you know, boys don't talk about feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Unfortunately mate it will be girls, as boys don't talk.

That in itself is a huge issue as they'll keep it to themselves and it'll probably contribute to other issues they'll gonoff the rails or behave certain ways to hide the fact they're upset or depressed because, you know, boys don't talk about feelings.
    They don't, and they don't really form a support network either. Young working class males are being let down by the services in my opinion.

They don't, and they don't really form a support network either. Young working class males are being let down by the services in my opinion.
    Absolutely mate.

Hearing my daughter on the phone with her friends they speak about everything and they're all there for the others and nothing is laughed at etc. Completely different to how most lads will have it.

Absolutely mate.

Hearing my daughter on the phone with her friends they speak about everything and they're all there for the others and nothing is laughed at etc. Completely different to how most lads will have it.
    Yup, and it's going to take something huge to change that culture. I have always tried to speak to my kids about anything that may be bothering them, listen, try not to bring it back to me or what i would've done (The worst thing you can do in my opinion) Although now my son is 22, i have sort of lost that interaction with him. Maybe he doesn't need me as much emotionally at this point in his life, although we can go days without speaking and we live in the same house! It's not good, is it?

Yup, and it's going to take something huge to change that culture. I have always tried to speak to my kids about anything that may be bothering them, listen, try not to bring it back to me or what i would've done (The worst thing you can do in my opinion) Although now my son is 22, i have sort of lost that interaction with him. Maybe he doesn't need me as much emotionally at this point in his life, although we can go days without speaking and we live in the same house! It's not good, is it?
    Even now I hate speaking to someone and they don't he old "yeah that happened to me "....then go all out speaking about themselves.

Really doesn't help. Let people speak, it's needed more at times than someone telling you how to control your situation.

That's a great way to be with your son, you won't lose it, he'll be back when he needs it again is till do with my dad but he may not know I exist for months on end, we're all busy in our own lives I suppose.

Resonance Beings of Frequency documentary film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFR5EtO_zdM

My 11 year old daughter is always complaining about unaffordable housing, wage stagnation, and increasing of pension age

Don’t know about youngsters, I’m 42 and it ****s me up. Thinking of getting a “dumb phone” to go back to the old school ways

Arguably ~16yr olds don’t really care about all that, I know I didn’t at that age. But now I’m in my mid twenties I couldn’t give a rats arse what someone looks like or says online. I’ve (hopefully) got 60 odd years left to live but as Doucas says housing, wages, standard of living, etc are all getting bleaker and bleaker each year

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Arguably ~16yr olds don’t really care about all that, I know I didn’t at that age. But now I’m in my mid twenties I couldn’t give a rats arse what someone looks like or says online. I’ve (hopefully) got 60 odd years left to live but as Doucas says housing, wages, standard of living, etc are all getting bleaker and bleaker each year
    Completely agree, and I would have thought that the negativity over those issues trickles down. I'm only going on anecdotal evidence, what I have been told, and if social media does have a negative affect with young people, particularly girls, then what can be done about it apart from good parenting in terms of keeping kids grounded and seeing through the bullshit. There are plenty of Kids who probably can't speak to their parents, some of their parents are probably too busy with Instagram, Facebook or other social media. I know that bi have been guilty of spending way too much time on here.

Isn’t it everyone to their own? Two of my four lads don’t possess a mobile. I’m a 60 something old fart & only use my phone for texting. Maybe one call a day and never the internet, as I can’t see well enough. My iPad on the other hand …..

Can't speak for them, but being in my mid 30s I see a direct link with the time I spend on my phone and how I feel. Scrolling for hours I feel awful, when I get up if I don't look at my phone for the first half hour I actually end up having a productive day, get to the gym and do what I need to do which results in me being less stressed as I've got no chores or important things being pushed back or ignored.

My daughter uses her phone a bit but isn't a heavy social media user she barely uses Facebook only to say happy birthday to family etc and snapchat which she also doesn't use a lot and she seems to be happier for it, sue will be productive with her day getting coursework and revision done and not let her phone distract her.

I think social media shows them a perfect world and they feel depressed looking at what they haven't got instead of being happy with who they are and what they have got.

Laugh if you want but I think the selfie has a lot to answer for as well, people looking for happiness with likes and interactions on photos they take ages getting just right..i think that's a mental illness in itself.
    I have noticed that with social media, people are bragging more and also have unrealistic expectations. Like nowadays people are trying to get instant gratification, such as lose weight fast on fad diets, get rich quick via crypto etc. Not to mention influencers trying to take advantage of that. I used to follow influencers like that but I realised how they (or many) are full of rubbish.

And also on social media, if you look at what people write, it’s the village idiots who have the loudest voices. Like it seems to be reducing people’s abilities to think. You remember how in Among Us they would say “bla bla is sus”? And everyone would blindly repeat. Well look at FB/Insta/Twitter comments… seem to be culty echo chambers

International

I agree I have kids in their twenties and both to me spend far too long on them, they can be in the room but at the same time completely somewhere else, they don't really get any normal relaxing time, because they are always chatting or doing something on their phones. I just think long term it can't be very good for you and another observation is they want bigger and better celebrations and parties, their equivalent of keeping up with the Joneses, influenced by competitiveness from Instagram.

International

Most of us have been through difficult times, with wages and inflation etc but I agree house prices have spiralled too far and to think you won't be able to afford to buy a house must be terrible!

I think it's a serious issue. Smart phones, social media, the pressures it creates to be seen to look good, be happy, post the right things, think the right thoughts etc.

They are basically a guinea pig generation.

I find myself aimlessly scrolling on socials to negate any anxiety from any stresses.

Makes it worse

Definitely linked for me

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    I have noticed that with social media, people are bragging more and also have unrealistic expectations. Like nowadays people are trying to get instant gratification, such as lose weight fast on fad diets, get rich quick via crypto etc. Not to mention influencers trying to take advantage of that. I used to follow influencers like that but I realised how they (or many) are full of rubbish.

And also on social media, if you look at what people write, it’s the village idiots who have the loudest voices. Like it seems to be reducing people’s abilities to think. You remember how in Among Us they would say “bla bla is sus”? And everyone would blindly repeat. Well look at FB/Insta/Twitter comments… seem to be culty echo chambers
    And a lot of that stuff is clearly targeted at younger people through advertisements. Adverts for gambling, crypto etc are all targeted at young men in particular

The only social media I really use is Twitter and that's mainly for news, but it can really give a warped idea of what most people are like. Through my work I speak to a lot of different people and the vast majority are nice, normal people, social media doesn't give that impression

I agree I have kids in their twenties and both to me spend far too long on them, they can be in the room but at the same time completely somewhere else, they don't really get any normal relaxing time, because they are always chatting or doing something on their phones. I just think long term it can't be very good for you and another observation is they want bigger and better celebrations and parties, their equivalent of keeping up with the Joneses, influenced by competitiveness from Instagram.
    I try and not look at my phone for the first half hour when I get up. I was doing it as a habit until a few weeks ago and now I've snapped back into my old ways, I used to leave it outside the room charging as well when I went to sleep.

I'd say there is a direct link to heavy phone use and mental state, at least from my point of view anyway. The more I am posting on here it's usually because I'm in a slump with my own mental health. As people may pick up on by my manner in posting at times, I can be an arsy arsehole..it's the same as kids do when they lash out not knowing what do to about the way they feel as I mentioned in my first post..I'm a grown up I should know better but we don't all have people to talk to it's not just the kids.

I don't think people over a certain age or maybe a generation will understand itas heavy use of phones qnd the like hasn't been around long.

I qas an active kid, always out, but mobiles really took off in my late teens early 20s and I've fallen into the same kind of trap kids do nowadays. The older lot will say it's bollocks etc as they have no experience of it.