+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gazza Documentary tonight

Gazza Documentary tonight

BBC2 9pm for anyone interested.

The documentary will be released in two parts, with both episodes made available on BBC iPlayer on Wednesday 13th April 2022.

The second part of the documentary will be broadcast on BBC Two a week later on Wednesday 20th April.

Re: Gazza Documentary tonight

Could be good.

Greatest football talent of my generation

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Greatest football talent of my generation
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Park Life View Post
    Agreed
    Same World Cup Gazza made his mark so did some Italian lad called Baggio.

I wonder what happened to him?

In my opinion he was overrated. Not a patch on Best, Charlton, Duncan Edwards, Charles. Shearer, Beckham, Giggs, Bale, Southall, Dalglish.

He came across as Childish but the documentary shed interesting light on what can happen when pop star footballers go wrong; echoes of Best. Fergie did well to manage Giggs in the spotlight but in later years even that went wrong.

The BBC documentary also described Gaza in terms of “this country.” Even Wogan, an Irishman, referred to “this country.” Gazza wasn’t huge in this country…by which I mean Wales.

Must admit I didn’t quite get what all the fuss was about him. A particular memory of him was that he should have been shown a red card while being carried off on a stretcher in the FA Cup Final against Forest. It was a shocking tackle that by him that led to his career defining injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    In my opinion he was overrated. Not a patch on Best, Charlton, Duncan Edwards, Charles. Shearer, Beckham, Giggs, Bale, Southall, Dalglish.

He came across as Childish but the documentary shed interesting light on what can happen when pop star footballers go wrong; echoes of Best. Fergie did well to manage Giggs in the spotlight but in later years even that went wrong.

The BBC documentary also described Gaza in terms of “this country.” Even Wogan, an Irishman, referred to “this country.” Gazza wasn’t huge in this country…by which I mean Wales.
    Wogan was on the BBC - of course he'd say 'this country'.

Good programme though. I'd forgotten about the second injury to his knee.

To say he was a loose cannon is an understatement, but he never stood a chance with nobody looking out for him off the pitch and the good old English press doing what they always do.

Gazza could have played anywhere on the pitch , absolute legend

I’ve always wondered how Ferguson would have handled George Best, I was of the opinion that Busby was too lax with him, gave him enough rope to hang himself. Obviously Gascoigne was Ferguson’s era, would a Man Utd move have made him realise his full potential? Or would Fergie gone all Capt Mainwaring and Private Pike on him?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’ve always wondered how Ferguson would have handled George Best, I was of the opinion that Busby was too lax with him, gave him enough rope to hang himself. Obviously Gascoigne was Ferguson’s era, would a Man Utd move have made him realise his full potential? Or would Fergie gone all Capt Mainwaring and Private Pike on him?
    Gascoigne had-has some quite severe mental health problems, addiction. I don't think that Ferguson could have negated that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Gascoigne had-has some quite severe mental health problems, addiction. I don't think that Ferguson could have negated that problem.
    Hence my last sentence.

Hence my last sentence.
    Which i don't understand

Well over rated. And a complete prick.

Which i don't understand
    Come on now, ‘Dad’s Army’... “You stupid boy” Would Fergie have dismissed him with the same disdain as Capt Mainwaring?

Come on now, ‘Dad’s Army’... “You stupid boy” Would Fergie have dismissed him with the same disdain as Capt Mainwaring?
    **** me splotty, you're on thin ice with that one Got you

**** me splotty, you're on thin ice with that one Got you
    Had it had happened it would have made great reading years down the line... ‘How I tamed Gazza’ by Ferguson or ‘How I sent Fergie doolally’ by Gazza

People say if Gazza joined Man U, Ferguson would have sorted him out and put Gazza on the right path. I disagree! Ferguson had great talents at Utd, before that in the likes of McGrath and Whiteside. He soon got rid of them. Gazza was probably far harder to deal with than those two.

Must admit I didn’t quite get what all the fuss was about him. A particular memory of him was that he should have been shown a red card while being carried off on a stretcher in the FA Cup Final against Forest. It was a shocking tackle that by him that led to his career defining injury.
    Did you see his 30 yard free kick in the semi-final or the ‘dentists chair’ goal in the Euro's against Scotland ? Genius.

His mental health issues and the way he was exploited are tragic. He was a gifted English footballer at a time when everyone thought Bryan Robson was good. He won next to nothing though. Glenn Hoddle was a far better player.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    His mental health issues and the way he was exploited are tragic. He was a gifted English footballer at a time when everyone thought Bryan Robson was good. He won next to nothing though. Glenn Hoddle was a far better player.
    I think that Bryan Robson was a tremendous player.
    Hoddle was a wonderful player.
    To me, Matt Le Tissier was the greatest English player of his generation.
    An absolute pleasure to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Did you see his 30 yard free kick in the semi-final or the ‘dentists chair’ goal in the Euro's against Scotland ? Genius.
    I did, great moments in his career but plenty of players have flashes of brilliance.

His goal for spurs against Portsmouth at Fratton Park was incredible and summed up his talent

Broke up play on his 18 yard box , spread ball out to winger

He makes a gut busting run right through the pitch to meet a cross into pompey box , thumping flying header

Absolute genius

A lot of flair players can do the fancy free kicks......and he could too ......but gazza had it all

Would Glen hoddle do that ?

He would be too busy combing his hair

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    No chance , hoddle wasn't a box to box all rounder

When things got tough he would vanish