+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Have you ever missed out on big money?

Have you ever missed out on big money?

Back in the day of the pools collectors,my wifes mother left her pools coupon with the neighbours.Their kids pinched the money and the coupon got never got collected.This was in the early 60s.Apparantly there was 8 draws on the coupon.

Re: Have you ever missed out on big money?

Our firstborn was born at 7:22pm and I was going to buy 1922 for the 4D lottery. I wanted to buy $200 for the next six draws but my wife convinced me gambling another $1200 wasn't a good idea.

It came up second prize. Would have won $300,000. All of her family put money on it and won thousands. They all came round our apartment to thank the lucky child. I was fuming. To this day, we tell ourselves that 1922 wouldn't have come up if we had bet so much on it i.e. it's all fixed.

Not massive money but I went to the bookies to put a “both teams to score” bet on. I accidentally chose 8 home teams to win instead of choosing yes to btts.

They all won apart from (it was always going to be them) Swansea at home to Stoke who hadn’t won in ages.

Would have won just over £5000 off a tenner.

6 numbers on the lottery on the day that the machines were down

Still have the ticket somewhere

In the early days of the lottery I sat there with my ticket, watching the draw, as many people did back then. 1 line, same numbers each week and I watched the first 4 get drawn. I was well aware of the chances of the other 2 being drawn but it didn't stop my heart going into overdrive.
    They didn't.
    I thought I'd end up with about £100. Nah - 34 paltry quid.

Years ago, I worked for Midland Bank. I'd been there since I left school, and was getting bored and restless. I took another job and left, but just weeks later, they announced a round of voluntary redundancies. If I had stayed, and taken redundancy, I'd have been paid about a year's salary.

Me and a mate went on a TV quiz show called Take It Or Leave It. We beat the other pair to get through to the final round, got the first 4 questions right, then got the last one wrong and missed out on £19k.

I cashed out about £17,000 on Tesla stock, a couple of hours later they got included into the S + P 500.

If I'd held my nerve that would now be worth around £50,000. I screamed like chewbacca that night.