+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Garry Thompson

Garry Thompson

Was thinking about Ninian Park memories this morning, who's leg did Thompson break in front of the Bob bank? Just wondering whatever happened the player who's leg he broke? I guess in those days that could have been a career ending injury for a player at that level?

Re: Garry Thompson

I have it in mind that it was a Barnet player in a 0-0 draw in January 1994, but I may be way out. However, I just Googled it looking for more info and Nathan Blake mentioned in one of his Echo columns that he was in the City team when Garry Thompson broke somebody's leg and he struggled to play for the rest of the game after seeing the extent of the injury. Blake was in the side against Barnet - one of the last games he played for City - so that adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I have it in mind that it was a Barnet player in a 0-0 draw in January 1994, but I may be way out. However, I just Googled it looking for more info and Nathan Blake mentioned in one of his Echo columns that he was in the City team when Garry Thompson broke somebody's leg and he struggled to play for the rest of the game after seeing the extent of the injury. Blake was in the side against Barnet - one of the last games he played for City - so that adds up.
    Always remember the diminutive, but hard as nails, Linden Jones crunching Chelsea's man-mountain Mickey Droy who was then stretchered off. Don't know if anything was broken though?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Was certainly a Barnet player. I can’t remember which one now. It’s in Thompson’s autobiography.

Ray Clemence was Barnet’s manager then and I’m pretty sure that, having been sent off in the Middlesbrough replay win, Thompson was shown his second red card in two games that day.

It was in front of the Bob bank , it was a strong but fair tackle . He was sent off because of the injury .

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It was in front of the Bob bank , it was a strong but fair tackle . He was sent off because of the injury .
    I remember thinking that at the time, but then I was young and probably had some rose tinted specs on!