+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ballpark cost of changing to a combi boiler in 90s 2 bed bed house?

Ballpark cost of changing to a combi boiler in 90s 2 bed bed house?

Thinking of changing the boiler over as 26 years old and wondered if anyone had an idea of cost?
    Last edited by tomcat; 18-04-22 at 12:10. Reason: Typo

Re: Ballpark cost of changing to a combi boiler in 90s 2 bed bed house?

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Thinking of changing the boiler over as 26 years old and wondered if anyone had an idea of cost?
    Depends on how much you want to spend on a boiler, are you changing the location of the boiler, Thermostatic valves etc. For a straight swap with a mid range boiler, i reckon anything between 1800 and 2500.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Around about £3-4k. Had ours done about 6 months ago but there are many variables.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Around about £3-4k. Had ours done about 6 months ago but there are many variables.
    Yup, and prices have risen dramatically over the past few years.

look at Boxt , around 2 1/2 K - 3 K

Boxt have approved fitters and if you have any issues, Boxt will send someone back without much of a issue

I used these guys, really good, really communicative too https://www.heatable.co.uk/?gclid=Cj...MaAnP5EALw_wcB

EDIT - cost about £3k for a two bed terraced house with one bathroom

Had a new combi boiler the year before last. Cost 1800 quid.

My two bedroomed house had no central heating and only a boiler which heated tap water when I moved in four years ago. I paid £2,800 I think it was to have a Baxi combi boiler installed along with six radiators and all of the pipework needed to get things up and running. All of the other estimates I got were around the £3,000 mark

Had a Combi fitted by Heatforce last November. The location had to be changed as previously we had a back boiler but the rads were there. Cost £3K. But it depends on who you use to fit it. I researched this for a company a few years ago getting six quotes from companies ranging from the big boys (British Gas) to medium sized companies down to smaller companies (Heatforce) and was amazed at the price difference - and the different solutions offered. There's also the option of the one-man gas fitter - but my experience was that they had too much work to even bother quoting, and the one guy who did come wouldn't quote because of the uncertainty of prices for boilers and consumables. My recommendation is use a small company such as Heatforce. I found I could get a significant reduction on the quote (despite what the salesman said) because of not using interest free credit and paying cash.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My two bedroomed house had no central heating and only a boiler which heated tap water when I moved in four years ago. I paid £2,800 I think it was to have a Baxi combi boiler installed along with six radiators and all of the pipework needed to get things up and running. All of the other estimates I got were around the £3,000 mark
    wow that's cheap

Make sure new boiler is 'hydrogen ready'.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    wow that's cheap
    Yeah, I was pleased with it (ten year warranty on the boiler as well), but, as mentioned earlier in the thread, prices have gone up a lot recently. It's still a cold house though and really could do with cavity wall insulation, but I don't believe you can do that with old stone finished homes can you?

International

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    look at Boxt , around 2 1/2 K - 3 K

Boxt have approved fitters and if you have any issues, Boxt will send someone back without much of a issue
    Boxt are supposed to be really good, I know a few people that have saved quite a bit with them, bulk buying power seems have brought the cost down.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yeah, I was pleased with it (ten year warranty on the boiler as well), but, as mentioned earlier in the thread, prices have gone up a lot recently. It's still a cold house though and really could do with cavity wall insulation, but I don't believe you can do that with old stone finished homes can you?
    As a matter of interest Bob. Do you have double glazing? You’ll only get the full effect of CH if your windows and doors are draught proof.

Wouldn't.t touch British gas with a barge pole. Had a quote of them a few yrs ago for a boiler replacement. Came in at about 4k They then try to get you to get it on HP, which obviously works out dearer.
    Went with a local guy who was recommended, and got a great job done at a fraction of the price BG quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Boxt are supposed to be really good, I know a few people that have saved quite a bit with them, bulk buying power seems have brought the cost down.
    and when they have a issue, its more often than not dealt with by a Worcester / Bosch agent

Boxt buys so much from them that according to the guy who came back to mine ( I spotted a dent in the outer case / cover about 3 months after install, but it was about 2" from the wall, so hard to spot, but it had cracked the caseing paint so might have rusted over the years ) that Worcester / Bosch keep them happy, they just changed the case

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    As a matter of interest Bob. Do you have double glazing? You’ll only get the full effect of CH if your windows and doors are draught proof.
    Yes, in all but one room where there’s no radiator - there’s a tiny window in it which I was told was the original from when the house was built (the estate agent told me that was 1920, but people whose family have lived in the street for ages tell me they’re about twenty years older than that). I’ve no idea how long the double glazing has been in for, but it’s in better condition generally than it was in my old house in Cardiff.