+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cardiff six week Rubbish and recycling collection strike 22nd April

Re: Cardiff six week Rubbish and recycling collection strike 22nd April

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The timing of this industrial action just prior to the local elections is interesting. The Unions must be pinning their hopes on the current Labour Council not wanting waste piling up in the streets in the run up to the vote.
    Unite are the ones pushing the strike and they're not exactly huge fans of the Labour Party at the moment, all funding from Unite to Labour is "under review" after the bin workers in Coventry went out on strike due to poor treatment

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Unite are the ones pushing the strike and they're not exactly huge fans of the Labour Party at the moment, all funding from Unite to Labour is "under review" after the bin workers in Coventry went out on strike due to poor treatment
    Interesting to know. I used to work for the Council but left some years ago so my knowledge of the Employment Relations situation at Lamby Way must be out of date by now but when I was there GMB seemed to have the most say which may have been down to the individual characters representing the staff rather than the make up of Union Membership

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Exactly, it won't be pretty if they do go on strike but they have their reasons.
    Yep. Especially if it isn't over pay - that to me says there is something particularly significant about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    They're going to sort it by charging people extra to collect their garden waste.
    All that will do is encourage fly tipping!

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    No they don't
    Yeah they do

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yep. Especially if it isn't over pay - that to me says there is something particularly significant about it.
    It’s about bullying

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    All that will do is encourage fly tipping!
    Or more people burning their garden waste

International

Waste strike has been delayed pending further negotiations. So no strike action tomorrow!!!

Thank God for that I've got shed loads to go, and can use the Llanishen Tax Office temporary site for some stuff Saturday

Still negotiating they've played a blinder with the timing, they have the Council and Welsh Government exactly where they want them!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...s-set-23685999

Cardiff rubbish and recycling collections set to see 'widespread' disruption as binmen and women vote to strike
    The six-week long strike is set to begin on April 22

I hope they don't strike it would be an absolute nightmare especially as it's getting warmer!
    Well at least they won't leave rubbish scattered everywhere, scatter the bins half way down the street , and not bother to even place the orange labeled bins back nearer the elderly, vulnerable and disabled who find it very hard to move the bins themselves. Perhaps Mark Drakeford could step in as First Minister and mobilise a fight force or is he still too unionised in thought to offer a view as per the DVLA strikes ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Well at least they won't leave rubbish scattered everywhere, scatter the bins half way down the street , and not bother to even place the orange labeled bins back nearer the elderly, vulnerable and disabled who find it very hard to move the bins themselves. Perhaps Mark Drakeford could step in as First Minister and mobilise a fight force or is he still too unionised in thought to offer a view as per the DVLA strikes ??
    I've had to replace my brown food waste bin several times as they just chuck it after emptying- sometimes in the road, and it gets run over.

You can tell there is an Election coming, NOT only have they collected our food bin today (bin thrown in middle of pavement), they sent the sweeping machine out yesterday

First time I’ve seen one of those in years

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yeah they do
    Oh no they don't 😉

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You can tell there is an Election coming, NOT only have they collected our food bin today (bin thrown in middle of pavement), they sent the sweeping machine out yesterday

First time I’ve seen one of those in years
    We had a road sweeper a couple of weeks ago. Bit pointless when there's cars parked nose to tail on each side of the street.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    are the dvla still on strike? they keep blaming covid to me