+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff six week Rubbish and recycling collection strike 22nd April

International

Cardiff six week Rubbish and recycling collection strike 22nd April

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...s-set-23685999

Cardiff rubbish and recycling collections set to see 'widespread' disruption as binmen and women vote to strike
    The six-week long strike is set to begin on April 22

I hope they don't strike it would be an absolute nightmare especially as it's getting warmer!

Re: Cardiff six week Rubbish and recycling collection strike 22nd April

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post

Cardiff rubbish and recycling collections set to see 'widespread' disruption as binmen and women vote to strike

I hope they don't strike it would be an absolute nightmare especially as it's getting warmer!
    I though this post was about our squad cleanout!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    I though this post was about our squad cleanout!
    I wouldn't be worried about that

Isn't that the point of strike - to cause disruption so that those who make the decisions appreciate the services being provided?

We won’t notice any difference up here in CF14, as they very rarely collect the rubbish on time anyway

International

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    Isn't that the point of strike - to cause disruption so that those who make the decisions appreciate the services being provided?
    From their point of view of course it is, from a customers point of view it's a nuisance!

Just seen this, but only open on a Saturday, so you can't get rid of stuff before the strike, and it's a fairly limited list anyway

https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/resid...s/default.aspx

From their point of view of course it is, from a customers point of view it's a nuisance!

Just seen this, but only open on a Saturday, so you can't get rid of stuff before the strike, and it's a fairly limited list anyway

The council wants people to stop using their cars, but this mobile recycling centre is for cars only?

Generally speaking I have a lot of sympathy for waste collection. It's not a nice job, but it's one of the most important in the city. I don't know the ins and outs of the bullying claims but I doubt they would be doing it without good cause.

That's for recycling only though - not for general waste.
    I just wish it was my black bin being collected this week and not my garden waste

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    We won’t notice any difference up here in CF14, as they very rarely collect the rubbish on time anyway
    Yes they do.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Generally speaking I have a lot of sympathy for waste collection. It's not a nice job, but it's one of the most important in the city. I don't know the ins and outs of the bullying claims but I doubt they would be doing it without good cause.
    Well said. There are Boys and girls working on waste who have been there for years and they still have temporary contracts or are employed through agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yes they do.
    No they don't

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Yes they do.
    Apart from the first week they started back collecting garden waste, all of my waste is usually collected by midday on the right day. Most of it by 9am. Can't really fault them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Apart from the first week they started back collecting garden waste, all of my waste is usually collected by midday on the right day. Most of it by 9am. Can't really fault them.
    Same, the garden waste was rescheduled several times if I recall, which is a pain in the arse for those who have to pull the green bin around from the back etc. I haven't had any issues with the food waste, recycled waste or general waste. The council are far from perfect, but some people just like to attack the workforce based on their own prejudices. Zero balance.

International

Same, the garden waste was rescheduled several times if I recall, which is a pain in the arse for those who have to pull the green bin around from the back etc. I haven't had any issues with the food waste, recycled waste or general waste. The council are far from perfect, but some people just like to attack the workforce based on their own prejudices. Zero balance.
    The workforce generally do a good job in my area from what I've seen.

The organization need to have more garden waste collections they stop too early in the Winter before all the leaves have fallen, and start back too late, it's a poor service as it's not fit for purpose from that point of view.

The organization need to have more garden waste collections they stop too early in the Winter before all the leaves have fallen, and start back too late, it's a poor service as it's not fit for purpose from that point of view.
    I think they stopped earlier this year due to the shortage of drivers

Absolutely, I wish that people would try and differentiate between the bosses and the work force, the politics that are at play and the fact that CCC have had to cut 300 million from their budget over the past 5 years. The public and the work force suffer together, battle lines should not be drawn in my opinion. I've said that I think that the council are failing in certain cases, but in most cases that isn't down to the work force.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think they stopped earlier this year due to the shortage of drivers
    Fair enough hopefully they'll get it sorted for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Exactly, it won't be pretty if they do go on strike but they have their reasons.

Fair enough hopefully they'll get it sorted for next year.
    They're going to sort it by charging people extra to collect their garden waste.

The timing of this industrial action just prior to the local elections is interesting. The Unions must be pinning their hopes on the current Labour Council not wanting waste piling up in the streets in the run up to the vote.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The timing of this industrial action just prior to the local elections is interesting. The Unions must be pinning their hopes on the current Labour Council not wanting waste piling up in the streets in the run up to the vote.
    Spot on and it will probably work, they can ask for whatever they want, the Welsh Government and Cardiff City Council won't want a strike, they are already in the spot light for a number of inferior services such as roads and closures, speeds, ambulance waiting times, A&E nightmare, and almost everything else they are responsible for.

Cardiff rubbish and recycling collections set to see 'widespread' disruption as *binmen and women vote to strike

*binpersons

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    *binpersons
    Waste operative.

Waste operative.
    They'd need to paid more!