+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We need a New Manager

Re: We need a New Manager

Lets see what happens in the summer.
    None of us know how it will go

Jury still out for me but then again I haven't enjoyed a city manager since since Dave Jones, and he was an odious nuisance. Malky allowed his ego to take over. Ole was just useless. Slade was a stop gap bore. Trollope just didn't have the guts for it. Warnock was fun but quite frankly a crook with his dodgy transfer deals and unsustainable prehistoric style of play. Harris tried but ultimately failed and Mick was a train wreck.

So I find it odd people are piling on SM and yet he inherited tue worst city side I can remember at this level, devoid of pace, flair and passing that saw us plummet down the league.

He came in and with some excellent singings helped pull us out of the mess but the problems with our squad remain.

Saying that, he done himself no favours with his curious press conferences and the Derby game was for a me a real eye opener.

The reality is none of us know how he will do in the transfer window and what kind of budget he will have. His activity in January was impressive.. but it will be a whole different ballgame this summer.

As I said jury is out.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Jury still out for me but then again I haven't enjoyed a city manager since since Dave Jones, and he was an odious nuisance. Malky allowed his ego to take over. Ole was just useless. Slade was a stop gap bore. Trollope just didn't have the guts for it. Warnock was fun but quite frankly a crook with his dodgy transfer deals and unsustainable prehistoric style of play. Harris tried but ultimately failed and Mick was a train wreck.

So I find it odd people are piling on SM and yet he inherited tue worst city side I can remember at this level, devoid of pace, flair and passing that saw us plummet down the league.

He came in and with some excellent singings helped pull us out of the mess but the problems with our squad remain.

Saying that, he done himself no favours with his curious press conferences and the Derby game was for a me a real eye opener.

The reality is none of us know how he will do in the transfer window and what kind of budget he will have. His activity in January was impressive.. but it will be a whole different ballgame this summer.

As I said jury is out.
    Agree with that.

As I said jury is out.
    That's a fair enough assessment and unlike some on here you are at least willing to give him a chance to prove himself next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

Morison has benefited from having some good players, too. Players like Smithies, Morrison, Nelson, Ng, Drameh, Flint, Bagan, Doughty, Doyle, Ralls, Colwill, Hugill are all at the very least decent players at this level, quite a few are far better than that. It's not exactly like he's got this band of unlikely lads together and pulled it off. We've got talented footballers, and they all play as individuals. That's down to the manager. Look at Luton, they all knew what they were doing, their players switched positions and coped. They've got crap players, too. Half our side should get in their team. Luton have a clear identity and a way of playing, we just pass the ball round the back and then lump it to Hugill, the team is really disjointed. Morison was more than happy to take praise when we were winning games.
    A very astute paragraph.

People looked at me like I was mental when I said we should wait. Plan for next season, they saidWell, we've signed Isaak Davies and Morison has said everyone else is leaving bar Ralls. Glad we couldn't wait. We've been absolute garbage recently. Morison seems to get a free pass for "playing football". Anyone can tell the team to pass the ball round the back, we don't do anything with it. How are we going to score? What's the plan? Luton did their best to gift us some goals and we didn't take them . We were atrocious against Swansea, the first half vs Hull was even worse and yesterday was abysmal at times. We are beyond awful at set pieces under Morison, too. An area of strength has gone to a massive weakness. The corners and free kicks are terrible but the throw ins, wow. They've got no idea what they're supposed to do. Good to know Morison says the club doesn't have any leaders on the field... maybe if they had some leadership off it...

Morison has benefited from having some good players, too. Players like Smithies, Morrison, Nelson, Ng, Drameh, Flint, Bagan, Doughty, Doyle, Ralls, Colwill, Hugill are all at the very least decent players at this level, quite a few are far better than that. It's not exactly like he's got this band of unlikely lads together and pulled it off. We've got talented footballers, and they all play as individuals. That's down to the manager. Look at Luton, they all knew what they were doing, their players switched positions and coped. They've got crap players, too. Half our side should get in their team. Luton have a clear identity and a way of playing, we just pass the ball round the back and then lump it to Hugill, the team is really disjointed. Morison was more than happy to take praise when we were winning games.

Morison is averaging 1.35 PPG, it's fine. He's going to have to nearly match that next season to stay up, when we're losing almost all of the above, and about 5/6 other squad players. It's going to be a hell of a job for him.

Also, we're a top 10 club in this division. This is the first time since 2007 that we've finished below 12th in the Championship for crying out loud. There are only 92 clubs in the football league and PL, and about 10 of them a British manager has no chance of getting. Who's going to want the Cardiff job? Loads will.
    I'm glad that someone else has noticed this. We had Bagan and Drameh taking throw-ins on Saturday and they were acting like they'd never done it before. The corners are just as bad with Doyle taking them. The opposition are more likely to break away and score than we are.

Wilder was at the Fulham game. He was 100% interested. Boro sacked Warnock, and they're northern (so closer to home) with money to spend, so he went for them. Had Boro not sacked Warnock, I'm pretty sure we'd have Wilder in charge.
    Agreed. He wasn't there to watch Fulham. We sacked McCarthy straight after the next game as well. There was no indication that Morison would get the job permanently until after Middlesbrough got rid of Warnock two weeks later and Wilder became unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Correct. Until Tan ****s off the ineptitude will just continue. If he’s had enough and lost interest just sell up and **** off.
    Amen….but, I think Morison deserves next season to see what he can do

We didn’t invite any applicants we just went with the cheap option. If you seriously think we couldn’t have got a better coach - from this country or across Europe - than Steve Morison then you are more deluded than I thought.

If the Cardiff position was officially advertised there would be scores of takers.
    So you don't think that when mccarthy was sacked that people didn't contact the club either directly or via their agents

You call me deluded which is pretty insulting for having an opinion different if I am honest yet you offer no evidence other than your own opinion - I get it you don't like Morison for reasons you can't tell us but at least try and evidence your argument rather than just insulting me

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    To be fair to Morison he's got a tune out of players that know they won't be here next season. And I also think he wouldn't use any of those players if he had a choice. These players also let down both Harris and McCarthy as well but they couldn't do anything about it.If he can bring players approaching the level of Dramah and Doyle we'll have a good season next year. He deserves his chance.
    Agreed and I'm sure he didn't want to use pack and bacuna before the jan window but didn't have much choice

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    Unable to score against injury ravaged side. Cardiff strolled through the game as if it were a friendly. IMO Steve Morrison not up to the job.
    I agree, I don't think Morison is going to take us any place next season other than mid-table obscurity. Nothing I have witnessed this season suggests we will be heading for the Top 2 or even a Top 6 play off place. I think he'll last all season and then Tan & Co. will sack him and replace him with an equally mundane, cheap manager.

Morison fitted the bill for the club.

Cheap and with the remit of not getting relegated.

That's the same criteria for next season and I honestly think the football we'll see and the team playing style will resemble what we're seeing now.

The personnel will change but City will be heavily reliant on finding decent loan players.

This thread is ridiculous. People have been moaning non stop about Burnleys silly decision to sack Dyche whilst at the same time advocating sacking a bloke who guided City to safety in his first season as a manager, brought in a number of quality loan players from Premier League clubs (who were being chased by a number of other higher placed teams at the time), has been responsible for developing the young home grown players that are now in the first team squad, is in the process of changing the teams style of play and is having to deal with a wholesale clear out of established players (who are not good enough) and replace them. He is also currently being pilloried by our gallant army of know all keyboard warriors for actually having the temerity to experiment with players, tactics and formations in six meaningless end of season games, with a view to progression next season. You are all mad.

[QUOTE=dml1954;5294229]This thread is ridiculous. People have been moaning non stop about Burnleys silly decision to sack Dyche whilst at the same time advocating sacking a bloke who guided City to safety in his first season as a manager, brought in a number of quality loan players from Premier League clubs (who were being chased by a number of other higher placed teams at the time), has been responsible for developing the young home grown players that are now in the first team squad, is in the process of changing the teams style of play and is having to deal with a wholesale clear out of established players (who are not good enough) and replace them. He is also currently being pilloried by our gallant army of know all keyboard warriors for actually having the temerity to experiment with players, tactics and formations in six meaningless end of season games, with a view to progression next season. You are all mad

I really, really hope I am wrong with my assessment of Morison. Who knows? Just because I am a fan of 54 years standing doesn't mean I get it right all the time. Far from it. What bugs me though is our b-o-r-i-n-g style of play. On Saturday the Luton players seemed to know what to do with and without the ball. To me, our players just looked like they were lost, and had only met one another the day before kick off. Those two reasons are what alarm me the most for the coming season. We shall see though

Hasn't Morison said that he doesn't do much work with the players in training? Perhaps it's not a coincidence that we've started to play like the crap Huddersfield teams when Hudson was a coach there.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Hasn't Morison said that he doesn't do much work with the players in training? Perhaps it's not a coincidence that we've started to play like the crap Huddersfield teams when Hudson was a coach there.
    Is there really muh difference to how we play before and after Hudson's arrival?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Is there really muh difference to how we play before and after Hudson's arrival?
    All the sideways and backwards passing without creating any chances is definitely a new feature of our play.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    All the sideways and backwards passing without creating any chances is definitely a new feature of our play.
    I think it's something that Morison INITIALLY tried to bring in long before Hudson was here, I remember around the time of the home win against Huddersfield we were trying to keep possession, but were mostly too slow and laboured with the ball to be threatening with the likes of pack, flint and nelson passing in triangles at the back.
    Then after a few bad results he shelved the idea for a while, until we were safe basically and now he's looking to develop more in that direction again.
    I guess we need to get the right balance in attacking quickly when we need to and not wasting possession when there isn't anything on.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    This thread is ridiculous. People have been moaning non stop about Burnleys silly decision to sack Dyche whilst at the same time advocating sacking a bloke who guided City to safety in his first season as a manager, brought in a number of quality loan players from Premier League clubs (who were being chased by a number of other higher placed teams at the time), has been responsible for developing the young home grown players that are now in the first team squad, is in the process of changing the teams style of play and is having to deal with a wholesale clear out of established players (who are not good enough) and replace them. He is also currently being pilloried by our gallant army of know all keyboard warriors for actually having the temerity to experiment with players, tactics and formations in six meaningless end of season games, with a view to progression next season. You are all mad.
    Not very often I agree with you but

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    So you don't think that when mccarthy was sacked that people didn't contact the club either directly or via their agents

You call me deluded which is pretty insulting for having an opinion different if I am honest yet you offer no evidence other than your own opinion - I get it you don't like Morison for reasons you can't tell us but at least try and evidence your argument rather than just insulting me
    Youre contradicting your own argument now. Make your mind up - Do other managers want the Cardiff job or not? or was the rookie manager whos only been coaching a strawberry season the best available option? If you think the latter than I stand by my statement that you are deluded.

We went with the cheap option. Simple as that.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...alman-21950687

There you go "inundated with applicants".

We choose the cheap option.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...alman-21950687

There you go "inundated with applicants".

We choose the cheap option.
    It's Wales Online and it doesn't even offer an attributable quote.

We're a big club at this level, but we have no idea what was on offer to a prospective manager. Whoever took over was inheriting a team of senior pros that would soon be out of contract. As far as they're concerned the job is done. There was no way we could expect anything more than the bare minimum from them as soon as we had effectively avoided relegation. Let's see how we're doing next Christmas.

As I said jury is out.
    That’s a good balanced assessment I think.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's Wales Online and it doesn't even offer an attributable quote.

We're a big club at this level, but we have no idea what was on offer to a prospective manager. Whoever took over was inheriting a team of senior pros that would soon be out of contract. As far as they're concerned the job is done. There was no way we could expect anything more than the bare minimum from them as soon as we had effectively avoided relegation. Let's see how we're doing next Christmas.
    No, too late I am afraid. This Summer is too important.

The same as we should have cut Warnock adrift when we got promoted we need to do the same with Morison in the summer.

No, too late I am afraid. This Summer is too important.

The same as we should have cut Warnock adrift when we got promoted we need to do the same with Morison in the summer.
    Totally agree.