+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We need a New Manager

Re: We need a New Manager

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I love the way people say who would come and manage us. We are a championship football club ffs, we are one of the biggest clubs outside of the Premier League and since 2009, all bar 3 seasons, have been fighting for promotion / play-offs to the PL or actually in the PL. There would be a queue as long as Sloper Road with people wanting to manage us.

Instead we have some two bob ex-player learning the management trade on the job.
    It's the same old little old Cardiff bollocks all the time with our fans, it's really tiresome

I'm not entirely convinced by Morison and his personality really doesn't help. He's also getting a fair bit more credit than he deserves imo, particularly regarding young players (Is Davies the only debutant under Morison?)

I love the way people say who would come and manage us. We are a championship football club ffs, we are one of the biggest clubs outside of the Premier League and since 2009, all bar 3 seasons, have been fighting for promotion / play-offs to the PL or actually in the PL. There would be a queue as long as Sloper Road with people wanting to manage us.

Instead we have some two bob ex-player learning the management trade on the job.
    Dalman literally said that Morison wouldn't get the job permanently because of his inexperience.

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    We have a club with enormous potential, vast potential fan base and premier league infrastructure but have always wanted managers on the cheap. IMO sometime down the line Morrison will get the sack. We have to realise that we have to invest in a manager not hope that a cheap alternative will come off. The sooner this is done the better!!
    Sometime down the line ALL managers get sacked. There is absolutely no guarantee a manager will be successful regardless of his CV.

What I will say however is that by guiding us to safety with ease he definitely deserves a chance to build a new team next season.

International

Thats what 3,4,5 teams? Theres 24 teams in the league mun. The Lutons and Huddersfields and Coventrys of the league are not where they are based on budget thats for sure, its good management that has got them punching above their weight.

Besides, even if we are just a "middling champinonship club" its no place for a novice like Morison to be learning his trade on the job. Its still a Top 30 job in the country.
    Agreed In fairness Morrison has done well, but as I've said before don't settle for quite good, plan ahead and get the best Manager we can get when he's available, like Chris Wilder at the time, now Sean Dyche, these quality Managers aren't available most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Agreed In fairness Morrison has done well, but as I've said before don't settle for quite good, plan ahead and get the best Manager we can get when he's available, like Chris Wilder at the time, now Sean Dyche, these quality Managers aren't available most of the time.
    Chris wilder didn't want to join us and there is no guarantee that dyche would - why would he - no real investment plan and a dwindling fan base who some appear to not want to give a manager more than a few months to sort out the playing staff mess that is Cardiff City which is no fault of SM

I would like to see someone identify a practical realistic alternative to what we have who by the way I am overall happy with

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    we were heading to League 1 when he took over, his team has bagged enough points to keep us up

these dead rubber games are always a bit pointless, some of the players know they will not be with us next season and are already " on the beach " ( as the saying goes )

we were crying out for a manager to play some youth players, SM has done just that, we have to hope they are the future and next year will come good
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    With all the pressure on games/results these days it must be nice to be able to experiment and try things out. I think he’s done all right bar the swansea debacle, not like we have much choice anyway is it? What young aspiring managers are knocking on our door? Or do we just talk about any that are Welsh ffs….a few key signing, decent loans and we can rebuild like MM did when he took over. He didn’t have any youth coming through either….
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    He’s done a great job and imo had a great January transfer window which we all know is a difficult one especially when you need players for a relegation battle.

I’m looking forward to seeing what can be done over the summer with him in charge.
    Exactly

So when the job was available when SM got it who was in that long q of people who actually wanted it rather than just chucking their hat in as they were unemployed - just interested as I am not privy to the list that they interviewed prior to giving the job to SM

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He has to be judged on his first full season. To be fair, what he did in January was pretty impressive. Half the team are out the door in three weeks. I'm OK with him for now.
    Me too

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    we tried to get Chris wilder and he didn't want to know

Spot on, but with these numpties in charge we will never invest wisely. I mean, this is a club that employed Russell Slade to be their manager ffs.
    I don’t think we will ever get anywhere with Tan and co in charge. 10 yrs down the line and he might be starting to learn. A failed roofer down west did far better without a pot to piss in for 7 yrs. I know the grass isn’t always greener but I just don’t think he can employ the right people to run the club

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Did anyone bar Pulis?

Lets be honest, he is our manager because he was the cheap option. We are not going to sack him having already given him a contract for next season. In hindsight club should have held their nerve and just waited until end of the season like they initially planned, thanked him for his efforts and went down a different avenue.

New manger, with a new philosophy, with scope to sign a load of players to fit that philosophy this summer, but instead we are stuck with a Btec Neil Harris.
    and when we eventually sack Morrison, we'll appoint his No2 as the cheapest option again, who'll get a few results, we'll give him a contract...and the ineptitude cycle begins again

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    So when the job was available when SM got it who was in that long q of people who actually wanted it rather than just chucking their hat in as they were unemployed - just interested as I am not privy to the list that they interviewed prior to giving the job to SM
    We didn’t invite any applicants we just went with the cheap option. If you seriously think we couldn’t have got a better coach - from this country or across Europe - than Steve Morison then you are more deluded than I thought.

If the Cardiff position was officially advertised there would be scores of takers.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    and when we eventually sack Morrison, we'll appoint his No2 as the cheapest option again, who'll get a few results, we'll give him a contract...and the ineptitude cycle begins again
    Correct. Until Tan ****s off the ineptitude will just continue. If he’s had enough and lost interest just sell up and **** off.

To be fair to Morison he's got a tune out of players that know they won't be here next season. And I also think he wouldn't use any of those players if he had a choice. These players also let down both Harris and McCarthy as well but they couldn't do anything about it.If he can bring players approaching the level of Dramah and Doyle we'll have a good season next year. He deserves his chance.

Correct. Until Tan ****s off the ineptitude will just continue. If he’s had enough and lost interest just sell up and **** off.
    Hear hear

Spot on, but with these numpties in charge we will never invest wisely. I mean, this is a club that employed Russell Slade to be their manager ffs.
    The Championship since we arrived in 2003 is littered with decent clubs that have had recognized managers, and have been relegated to league 1. Russell Slade was not much different in terms of what he inherited, from McCarthy and Harris - a club who had lost the cream off the top of very shallow squad. If you have a packet of mince and some potatoes, you can only make cottage pie. You can make a good cottage pie if you're a good cook, but it's still cottage pie, not 5 star michelin cuisine..

People looked at me like I was mental when I said we should wait. Plan for next season, they saidWell, we've signed Isaak Davies and Morison has said everyone else is leaving bar Ralls. Glad we couldn't wait. We've been absolute garbage recently. Morison seems to get a free pass for "playing football". Anyone can tell the team to pass the ball round the back, we don't do anything with it. How are we going to score? What's the plan? Luton did their best to gift us some goals and we didn't take them . We were atrocious against Swansea, the first half vs Hull was even worse and yesterday was abysmal at times. We are beyond awful at set pieces under Morison, too. An area of strength has gone to a massive weakness. The corners and free kicks are terrible but the throw ins, wow. They've got no idea what they're supposed to do. Good to know Morison says the club doesn't have any leaders on the field... maybe if they had some leadership off it...

Morison has benefited from having some good players, too. Players like Smithies, Morrison, Nelson, Ng, Drameh, Flint, Bagan, Doughty, Doyle, Ralls, Colwill, Hugill are all at the very least decent players at this level, quite a few are far better than that. It's not exactly like he's got this band of unlikely lads together and pulled it off. We've got talented footballers, and they all play as individuals. That's down to the manager. Look at Luton, they all knew what they were doing, their players switched positions and coped. They've got crap players, too. Half our side should get in their team. Luton have a clear identity and a way of playing, we just pass the ball round the back and then lump it to Hugill, the team is really disjointed. Morison was more than happy to take praise when we were winning games.

Morison is averaging 1.35 PPG, it's fine. He's going to have to nearly match that next season to stay up, when we're losing almost all of the above, and about 5/6 other squad players. It's going to be a hell of a job for him.

Also, we're a top 10 club in this division. This is the first time since 2007 that we've finished below 12th in the Championship for crying out loud. There are only 92 clubs in the football league and PL, and about 10 of them a British manager has no chance of getting. Who's going to want the Cardiff job? Loads will.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    It’s been said countless times on here that the club needs a huge change in style, with a philosophy embedded.
    Finally, we have a manager who’s trying to do just that, with one arm tied behind his back - financially.
    This is going to take some time (again, said on here a million times) and the road is going to be a bumpy one.
    Morison has made mistakes along the way - the Swansea match being one of them (and the one that some find unorgivable), but to try and hound him out now is madness.
    We haven’t got any money and so far, he’s mostly done and said the right things. He has a lot to learn, but at least he’s not afraid to speak out.
    As for those wanting Dyche - really? Burnley aren’t exactly famed for playing a progressive style of football, so why would we want to go for a quick fix kind of manager?
    The Luton result is of little consequence. I was at the game and it’s plain to see that our season is now being used to prepare for the next.
    Surely that’s better than just trying to win games, without looking at what’s possible with the current squad? These games will help to inform the coaching staff as to what/who is needed for next season.
    Totally agree

International

That's true but maybe Dyche would fancy it, I would try and get that calibre of manager as possible as I think it's the most important decision the club needs to make. Maybe Steve Cooper if he fails to go up at Forrest, but would he want to come home to his Dads club just yet?

If not we'll see what Morison can do with a proper transfer window, enforced mass sell off and a full pre season, it's a massive job, I'm not a Morison hater, I just think if a really good Manager like Dyche becomes available you ask him the question!

Wilder was at the Fulham game. He was 100% interested. Boro sacked Warnock, and they're northern (so closer to home) with money to spend, so he went for them. Had Boro not sacked Warnock, I'm pretty sure we'd have Wilder in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    People looked at me like I was mental when I said we should wait. Plan for next season, they saidWell, we've signed Isaak Davies and Morison has said everyone else is leaving bar Ralls. Glad we couldn't wait. We've been absolute garbage recently. Morison seems to get a free pass for "playing football". Anyone can tell the team to pass the ball round the back, we don't do anything with it. How are we going to score? What's the plan? Luton did their best to gift us some goals and we didn't take them . We were atrocious against Swansea, the first half vs Hull was even worse and yesterday was abysmal at times. We are beyond awful at set pieces under Morison, too. An area of strength has gone to a massive weakness. The corners and free kicks are terrible but the throw ins, wow. They've got no idea what they're supposed to do. Good to know Morison says the club doesn't have any leaders on the field... maybe if they had some leadership off it...

Morison has benefited from having some good players, too. Players like Smithies, Morrison, Nelson, Ng, Drameh, Flint, Bagan, Doughty, Doyle, Ralls, Colwill, Hugill are all at the very least decent players at this level, quite a few are far better than that. It's not exactly like he's got this band of unlikely lads together and pulled it off. We've got talented footballers, and they all play as individuals. That's down to the manager. Look at Luton, they all knew what they were doing, their players switched positions and coped. They've got crap players, too. Half our side should get in their team. Luton have a clear identity and a way of playing, we just pass the ball round the back and then lump it to Hugill, the team is really disjointed. Morison was more than happy to take praise when we were winning games.

Morison is averaging 1.35 PPG, it's fine. He's going to have to nearly match that next season to stay up, when we're losing almost all of the above, and about 5/6 other squad players. It's going to be a hell of a job for him.

Also, we're a top 10 club in this division. This is the first time since 2007 that we've finished below 12th in the Championship for crying out loud. There are only 92 clubs in the football league and PL, and about 10 of them a British manager has no chance of getting. Who's going to want the Cardiff job? Loads will.
    Bearing in mind the above, would you say that you generally enjoy being a Cardiff City fan ?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The Championship since we arrived in 2003 is littered with decent clubs that have had recognized managers, and have been relegated to league 1. Russell Slade was not much different in terms of what he inherited, from McCarthy and Harris - a club who had lost the cream off the top of very shallow squad. If you have a packet of mince and some potatoes, you can only make cottage pie. You can make a good cottage pie if you're a good cook, but it's still cottage pie, not 5 star michelin cuisine..
    Rubbish. Slade inherited a quality squad of players. Even after he got rid of some of the foreign players he still had a big squad of quality and experienced players to choose from. We had just paid almost 10m on two quality centre half’s. Peter Whittingham, Gunnarson, Pilkington, Fabio, Noone amongst others. The rewriting of history as far as Slade is concerned is utterly laughable. You swear he took over a struggling Blackpool who had literally no players at the start of the campaign.

We finished 8th and 12th because of the players and in spite of Slade not because of him.